Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 27, 2017, 08:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uisce

Quote from: GAA-SMART on August 24, 2017, 09:38:16 AM
Quote from: redsetanta on August 24, 2017, 09:37:07 AM
Banty is just a gun for hire at this stage. No good to Laois!

Unlikely, he left Wexford because of a 2 hr 15m drive without traffic, to get to Portloaise is about 1hr 55m drive, doubt he is ditching Wexford over 20 minutes

I wouldn't believe that as a reason, Eamon Kelly left Offaly because of work commitments, a couple of months later he was Laois manager. I wouldn't want Banty but it's just one I wouldn't be surprised with.

BallyroanAbu

Banty main area of work is Dublin I am sure he has an apartment there,  would not be for me.

I think a lot of you are missing a serious point unless the Manager we appoint is capable of attracting serious financial support we are going to be very much in a promotion/relegation cycle between Div 3 & 4.  If Laois continue this cycle of mediocrity there is very little chance of attracting money.  A lot of people disagree with me on this Sugrue, McNulty are excellent coaches however Laois need far more than just one man and without financial resources we have very little in the way of a backroom setup.  We need someone capable of been (A) able to attract financial resources (B)Able to attract people to donate time (C)Have such a personality that players will actually agree to tog for Laois (D ) Challenge the County Board to step up (E) also attract the fair weather fans back its ok having people like us at matches but we do not pay the bills.  Laois Football needs some to create a feel good factor otherwise we are going to go into some cycle of dreadfulness.

Keyser Söze

I know what you're saying BA, but look at the hurlers backroom team last year- that was hardly cheap? There does seem to be some money there to spend.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

portlaoisekid

Will they spend it on a top class set up or waste it on a journeyman out for a quick earner??

BallyroanAbu

Keyser I think the Hurlers had a lot of people doing it for the love of the game( which in fairness to hurling you see quite a bit of).   Maybe the money is there but if the rumoured amount Creedon got is true,  there is not that much to go round.

Unlaoised

Banty is in for the Fermanagh Job I think!
LAOIS ABÚ

Keyser Söze

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 24, 2017, 02:15:42 PM
Keyser I think the Hurlers had a lot of people doing it for the love of the game( which in fairness to hurling you see quite a bit of).

Kelly, Moran, Gleeson, McConville...........

town1980

Ballyroanabu I think they are seriously good points and one of the best posts you have written,,, this isn't even a but who could do what you want ?? But I agree totally with your post

Keyser Söze

Quote from: portlaoisekid on August 24, 2017, 01:26:39 PM
Will they spend it on a top class set up or waste it on a journeyman out for a quick earner??

Agree 100%. I've said it before. There are people within Laois who can manage (ala Cheddar). Spend the money on the set up, not on a figurehead.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 25, 2017, 12:26:01 AM
Quote from: portlaoisekid on August 24, 2017, 01:26:39 PM

Agree 100%. I've said it before. There are people within Laois who can manage (ala Cheddar). Spend the money on the set up, not on a figurehead.
If only the football side had a man like cheddar?  Then we would be flying....

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

BallyroanAbu

I was going to use the Cheddar example for football, always felt he was in the right direction but should have stayed clear of being manager more like a CEO of the Hurling Board.  He is a great example of the way forward.

Butch Cassidy

Any update on who the foofball manager is going to be? Heard Sheehan has been at the recent games and even taking notes

town1980

no word it all seems very quiet at the minute

portlaoisekid

I've heard it twice in the last hour that Chris Conway has the job.

Hardly a concrete gauge but still there's no smoke without fire.