NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

where's the heretofore ubiquitous Rossie?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Rossfan on February 10, 2019, 09:40:41 PM
Well that was a bolx at the end today as the blind Ulster officials combined to ensure dirt by Morgan went unpunished while a naive reaction by our man resulted in the free being overturned.
Anyway such is GAAlife.
A heroic battling backs to the wall performance by our lads in the 2nd half and did well to prevent Tyrone going on to win it.
Great block by young Lyons to save the day.
Some excellent points by us in our purple patch before half time.

At least we didn't concede 4-24,.
If someone told me before Christmas that we'd be disappointed to draw with Tyrone, would beat Monaghan and coulda mighta have drawn with Mayowestros , would concede 2-31 in 3 games and would have an organised defensive structure.....I'd have said give me some of your tablets.

Shows what happens when you have a Manager.
2 months of Cunningham - 3 years his predecessor.
Compare and contrast.

we got to a d1 semi with the predecesor. hopefully ac can do similar.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 10, 2019, 08:47:09 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 10, 2019, 08:38:02 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 10, 2019, 07:50:35 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 10, 2019, 03:56:31 PM
Can't believe Roscommon didn't beat a Tyrone side in complete disarray.
But for Morgan's sly knee and silly reaction by Harney Tyrone would have lost. Roscommon i might add were the ones in disarray. Well beaten in all super 8 matches,manager walked and have lost a number of starters due to travel,retirement and injury.

Result of the day was that away win for Galway, Kevin Walsh has played a blinder to the media about the injury crisis when about 9 of today's team will likely start come championship time and regardless what players Galway are missing they stick to their system which has produced just two league defeats in two years and both of those defeats was against Dublin.

I think it'll be more like 6 or 7 will be starting but it's hard to tell this far out with form and injury playing a large part. Lavelle, Kerin, Bradshaw (might hang in there for another year), Heaney, Flynn, Walsh. Maybe Kelly. Maybe Cooke. But they could as easily be on the bench.

I don't think Duggan will be starting. Or O'Donnell. If everyone was available. On the plus side the Daly's made a surprise come back today having not even played for NUIG for a month.

Walsh is full of surprises, keeps all guessing including his own supporters.
I thought the media favouring Monaghan was a bit off . Losing to the Dubs was no shame
Galway aren't too shabby and have good forwards.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mayo4Sam

Was it just me or did the Galway sub pick the ball clean off the ground for the goal?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Blowitupref

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on February 10, 2019, 09:45:50 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 10, 2019, 09:40:41 PM
Well that was a bolx at the end today as the blind Ulster officials combined to ensure dirt by Morgan went unpunished while a naive reaction by our man resulted in the free being overturned.
Anyway such is GAAlife.
A heroic battling backs to the wall performance by our lads in the 2nd half and did well to prevent Tyrone going on to win it.
Great block by young Lyons to save the day.
Some excellent points by us in our purple patch before half time.

At least we didn't concede 4-24,.
If someone told me before Christmas that we'd be disappointed to draw with Tyrone, would beat Monaghan and coulda mighta have drawn with Mayowestros , would concede 2-31 in 3 games and would have an organised defensive structure.....I'd have said give me some of your tablets.

Shows what happens when you have a Manager.
2 months of Cunningham - 3 years his predecessor.
Compare and contrast.

we got to a d1 semi with the predecesor. hopefully ac can do similar.

No semi finals now and wasn't that the work of a joint management team? i think Roscommon staying up this year will be a bigger achievement than 2016 when you consider the amount of last years panel no longer there or injured. Could have done with the two points today i feel though and won't get many better chances to beat Tyrone.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 10, 2019, 09:59:45 PM
Was it just me or did the Galway sub pick the ball clean off the ground for the goal?
It's going on in every game

cornetto

League results are so hard to forecast,it is impossible to gauge a teams true worth.All teams are at different stages of training,I for one was not expecting a result against Monaghan who had beaten the dubs who thrashed galway.the rossi's on the other hand go out and beat Monaghan and were dissapointed with a draw against Tyrone.The dubs are hurting,they will probably still go on to contest the final with kerry or mayo.

seafoid

Quote from: cornetto on February 11, 2019, 08:13:04 AM
League results are so hard to forecast,it is impossible to gauge a teams true worth.All teams are at different stages of training,I for one was not expecting a result against Monaghan who had beaten the dubs who thrashed galway.the rossi's on the other hand go out and beat Monaghan and were dissapointed with a draw against Tyrone.The dubs are hurting,they will probably still go on to contest the final with kerry or mayo.

The Dubs don't seem to be interested in the League so I don't think they are hurting

seafoid

Quote from: Schkite on February 10, 2019, 05:31:44 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2019, 05:21:43 PM
Quote from: Schkite on February 10, 2019, 03:36:21 PM
f**king hell, we should have gotten something out of that, only ourselves to blame
If we had gotten something out of that game, it would have been an act of thievery.

Tragic mix up to allow the move for their goal.

Yep we didn't deserve to get anything out of it based on performance, but we still had the opportunity, as bad as we were.

The goal was absolutely criminal, have no idea what the defence was thinking. We were brutal the whole game, but if we hadn't fell asleep that one time we would have given ourselves a better chance. From beating the Dubs on day one, we're sucked into the relegation battle now, Omagh in 2 weeks is massive.
It's a huge match
It would be a pity to beat the Dubs on the first day out and then get relegated

galwayman

Quote from: Tubberman on February 10, 2019, 09:44:20 PM
where's the heretofore ubiquitous Rossie?
Careful what you wish for Tubber.

Hound

Quote from: Itchy on February 10, 2019, 07:29:21 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 10, 2019, 07:10:59 PM
Table heading into the 2 week break

Mayo    3    3    0    0    15    6

Kerry    3    3    0    0    8    6

Galway    3    2    0    1    -8    4

Roscommon   3    1    1    1    1    3

Dublin    3    1    0    2    7    2

Monaghan    3    1    0    2    0    2

Tyrone    3    0    1    2    -13    1

Cavan    3    0    0    3    -10    0

Some big games in the next round of fixtures

Dublin v Mayo

Tyrone v Monaghan

Galway v Kerry

Cavan v Roscommon

If Cavan could beat Roscommon and Tyrone beat Monaghan it would really make the bottom interesting!
Then if Mayo beat the Dubs, we'd be joint bottom! Epic relegation battle coming up  :D

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on February 10, 2019, 08:22:25 PM
Dubs playing it very cute in the 5 in a row attempt. Lose a few league matches optionally so no need to bother with a league final. Leave a few crumbs for striving Kerry or rebuilding Mayo, god love them. Put the media off the trail in April/May

An easy run through Leinster without breaking sweat and 3 super 8 matches to fine tune the machine
And then see if anyone has closed the gap.
It's nonsense to say we're not trying in the league.

We're without Cluxton and Kilkenny and they are two key players (although Clifford just as important for Kerry, they were missing Moran for most of the game too, and JOD could even struggle to get back into the team!)

But every Dub there was doing his absolute best as they know it's key to retaining their place come championship. It's nonsense to say we're less interested in the league than previous years just because we're going for the 5 in a row.

We beat Galway comfortably (they play too defensive to cause up trouble) and it took really good performances from Kerry and Monaghan to beat us.
There was been some commentary that we lost to Kerry because they are ahead of us in fitness. I don't know enough to say whether that's true or not, but in the last 10 minutes with us down to 14, we were the ones that finished the strongest.

Kerry did look stronger and more athletic than in previous years. Their style reminded me of Mayo. Their defence looked much improved, and their scoretaking was a bit scary! As usual, Dubs look shaky defending a high ball. Dublin's star forwards Mannion, Con and Costello all had flashes of brilliance, but were inconsistent.

Looking forward to Mayo now, and seeing what they're like this year in the flesh. If we beat them, and Kerry beat them, then we should be able to make it to a league final and give Kerry another go. But if Mayo beat us, then we are literally in a relegation battle! Although hard to see Cavan or Tyrone taking points off us.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Hound on February 11, 2019, 09:43:11 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 10, 2019, 08:22:25 PM
Dubs playing it very cute in the 5 in a row attempt. Lose a few league matches optionally so no need to bother with a league final. Leave a few crumbs for striving Kerry or rebuilding Mayo, god love them. Put the media off the trail in April/May

An easy run through Leinster without breaking sweat and 3 super 8 matches to fine tune the machine
And then see if anyone has closed the gap.
It's nonsense to say we're not trying in the league.

We're without Cluxton and Kilkenny and they are two key players (although Clifford just as important for Kerry, they were missing Moran for most of the game too, and JOD could even struggle to get back into the team!)

But every Dub there was doing his absolute best as they know it's key to retaining their place come championship. It's nonsense to say we're less interested in the league than previous years just because we're going for the 5 in a row.

We beat Galway comfortably (they play too defensive to cause up trouble) and it took really good performances from Kerry and Monaghan to beat us.
There was been some commentary that we lost to Kerry because they are ahead of us in fitness. I don't know enough to say whether that's true or not, but in the last 10 minutes with us down to 14, we were the ones that finished the strongest.

Kerry did look stronger and more athletic than in previous years. Their style reminded me of Mayo. Their defence looked much improved, and their scoretaking was a bit scary! As usual, Dubs look shaky defending a high ball. Dublin's star forwards Mannion, Con and Costello all had flashes of brilliance, but were inconsistent.

Looking forward to Mayo now, and seeing what they're like this year in the flesh. If we beat them, and Kerry beat them, then we should be able to make it to a league final and give Kerry another go. But if Mayo beat us, then we are literally in a relegation battle! Although hard to see Cavan or Tyrone taking points off us.
so you're writing off the the trip to the Hyde already?

An Fhairche Abu

It's a big if but, if Mayo beat Dublin in a two weeks time the Dubs won't be contesting another league final, Mayo will have 8 points and the head to head. Kerry already have the head to head over them.

With respect to Galway, not a huge lot to say about the match in Inniskeen yesterday apart from the fact that it's a massive win in the context of staying up in Division One, even just picking up another win should be enough to stay up given that Tyrone, Cavan and Monaghan all have to play each other still plus Cavan and Tyrone have yet to play Dublin who will be improving their performance a bit as the league goes on.

First twenty minutes it was as bad a Galway start to a match as I can remember, loose on the Monaghan players despite flooding the defence, lazy tackling technique giving handy frees away, poor usage of the wind (although Monaghan suffered from the same affliction in the second period), bad shot selection/execution (the missed goal chances were horror shows), hard to pick out anything positive. Got going a bit towards the end of the half with Shane Walsh becoming influential but to be honest I thought I'd be able to leave early in the second half as I couldn't see anything but a Monaghan win with the advantage of the elements to come.
Credit to Galway in that they upped it significantly in the second half but really it was a tough ground out win, the goal was obviously the crucial score in the match. Tom Flynn was immense down the stretch and played well in general, Duane and Sean Kelly (unreal engine on the lad) had effective games, Walsh was obviously a cut above the other players when he got going. Cunningham gets himself into great positions but he isn't there yet by any means with his overall finishing, could (probably should to be honest) have scored a goal in every league game so far, in mitigation he was clearly fouled in the first half yesterday when going through on goal but still.

A lot of criticism being heaped on Galway, some justified, but entertainment value is certainly not a metric that would bother me in early February. There is plenty of work to be done but (with all due respect to Sligo and London we are at nothing if we can't win those two championship matches) this year it's all about retaining Division One status while getting the squad and team primed for the 16th of June and hopefully deep into July and August.
For all the hyperbole about the match Saturday night, and it was a great game to watch, it's just a Round 3 match in February, I don't buy the "laying down a marker for the year" narrative for a second, Kerry have done that a few times in recent league campaigns against Dublin only to be well short come the summer. The way Galway are playing right now won't beat Dublin and KW will have to come up with something at least a bit different or it'll be groundhog day if we can get far enough to play Dublin again but rehearsed lines about "football purgatory" or lamenting Galway a la Eamonn Sweeney this morning at this time of year is daft.

It would be remiss not to comment on the super facilities that are in place in Inniskeen, especially for what seems a small enough club, it's a credit to the locals. No hassle to get in/out of and the pitch was in immaculate condition for this time of year as well.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 11, 2019, 09:55:40 AM

It's a big if but, if Mayo beat Dublin in a two weeks time the Dubs won't be contesting another league final, Mayo will have 8 points and the head to head. Kerry already have the head to head over them.

With respect to Galway, not a huge lot to say about the match in Inniskeen yesterday apart from the fact that it's a massive win in the context of staying up in Division One, even just picking up another win should be enough to stay up given that Tyrone, Cavan and Monaghan all have to play each other still plus Cavan and Tyrone have yet to play Dublin who will be improving their performance a bit as the league goes on.

First twenty minutes it was as bad a Galway start to a match as I can remember, loose on the Monaghan players despite flooding the defence, lazy tackling technique giving handy frees away, poor usage of the wind (although Monaghan suffered from the same affliction in the second period), bad shot selection/execution (the missed goal chances were horror shows), hard to pick out anything positive. Got going a bit towards the end of the half with Shane Walsh becoming influential but to be honest I thought I'd be able to leave early in the second half as I couldn't see anything but a Monaghan win with the advantage of the elements to come.
Credit to Galway in that they upped it significantly in the second half but really it was a tough ground out win, the goal was obviously the crucial score in the match. Tom Flynn was immense down the stretch and played well in general, Duane and Sean Kelly (unreal engine on the lad) had effective games, Walsh was obviously a cut above the other players when he got going. Cunningham gets himself into great positions but he isn't there yet by any means with his overall finishing, could (probably should to be honest) have scored a goal in every league game so far, in mitigation he was clearly fouled in the first half yesterday when going through on goal but still.

A lot of criticism being heaped on Galway, some justified, but entertainment value is certainly not a metric that would bother me in early February. There is plenty of work to be done but (with all due respect to Sligo and London we are at nothing if we can't win those two championship matches) this year it's all about retaining Division One status while getting the squad and team primed for the 16th of June and hopefully deep into July and August.
For all the hyperbole about the match Saturday night, and it was a great game to watch, it's just a Round 3 match in February, I don't buy the "laying down a marker for the year" narrative for a second, Kerry have done that a few times in recent league campaigns against Dublin only to be well short come the summer. The way Galway are playing right now won't beat Dublin and KW will have to come up with something at least a bit different or it'll be groundhog day if we can get far enough to play Dublin again but rehearsed lines about "football purgatory" or lamenting Galway a la Eamonn Sweeney this morning at this time of year is daft.

It would be remiss not to comment on the super facilities that are in place in Inniskeen, especially for what seems a small enough club, it's a credit to the locals. No hassle to get in/out of and the pitch was in immaculate condition for this time of year as well.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/both-teams-play-better-into-the-wind-as-galway-beat-monaghan-1.3788828

Walsh, pleased to have got the trauma of the previous week's cuffing in Croke Park out of their system, was frank when asked afterwards about the concept of a team's duty to entertain.
"With the amount of work that goes into this now, people are pushing the rules to the limits to the areas where you can take it to - I'm not talking about physicality here, I'm talking about the rules. That's life, if the opinion is that you just want to entertain then that's fine too but you have to try and get results."