Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 03:39:30 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 03:27:01 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 03:23:12 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 03:15:48 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 19, 2021, 03:07:07 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 02:59:12 PM
The education of the children, the physical and mental wellbeing of the island, the economy, employment, vulnerable groupings who need support services have all been cast aside, sacrificed - for what end I ask?
I thought it was pretty fundamental - the hospitals will not cope if we pretend covid doesn't exist and let things continue as normal. They can barely cope as it is and it's almost a year since the outbreak. I support a return to normality as soon as possible but covid deniers really need to catch themselves on

I'm not a Covid denier. I think Lockdowns cause far more harm than good.

Every winter hospitals are under pressure with seasonal flu, every winter we are happy to enjoy our freedoms and live our lives with deaths spiking and flu killing off the elderly and vulnerable so I ask why did we start caring about Covid.

We have 4k deaths from cancer every year - we know the harm the likes of fast food, smoking and alcohol have with cancer, heart disease and other health problems. Are we serious about fighting cancer or heart disease or do we just not care as much as we do about Covid? If we are then why do we only take half measures? We all know young people who died in road traffic accidents, mother and fathers who bury their children as a result on this but have we ever taken draconian measures on this?

What is so special about Covid that we take this action on this cause of death when we could do so much more for other things that kill people too.

You can choose to drink alcohol. If you drink excess amounts alcohol it will only damage your body and nobody else. If individuals (especially young people) refuse to follow lockdown rules, were masks and ignore all medical advice they can pick up covid and pass it on to an infinite amount of individuals and cause an infinite amount of deaths for innocent people.

Why should families have to bury other family members due to someone else's selfishness and disregard for human life?

But why should you have a choice to drink alcohol?

Alcoholics clog up the health system, they take up hospital beds, they take up state resources that could be going to more worthwhile causes, they contribute to violent disorders late at night.

So why do we accept alcohol and its many damaging impacts on society, the same with smoking, the same with fast food, the same with cars on the roads?

We take half measures on all these things but go draconian on Covid.

You could ask why do people have to choose to bury their loved ones because a selfish man hopped in behind a wheel after drinking a shitload of alcohol. It's very, very easy for me to show up your hypocrisies.

Do alcoholics clog up the health system? How many alcoholics are in hospital beds in NI right now?Please provide the numbers to back up this claim.

Could you also please use up to date facts. You keep claiming 3 deaths out of 46k cases of covid, but case numbers are up to 96k now so you're just pedaling misinformation

Generally there are 600-750 hospital admissions per every 100k in the north every year. So you're probably looking 13-14k alcohol related admissions to hospital every year.

Report here: http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/raise/publications/2017-2022/2020/communities/6720.pdf

In the UK they reckon alcohol costs £3.5bn to treat in the health service every year and it's accepted.

In the 06, we have generally around 3-400 alcohol related deaths on an annual basis and yet again we accept that.

We accept all the severe negative aspects alcohol brings to society, we accept the violence, the disorder, the drain on the health system, the cost of treating it. It's acceptable.

Why do we accept that?

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 19, 2021, 04:03:40 PM
The education of the children, the physical and mental wellbeing of the island, the economy, employment, vulnerable groupings who need support services have all been cast aside, sacrificed - for what end I ask?
I thought it was pretty fundamental - the hospitals will not cope if we pretend covid doesn't exist and let things continue as normal. They can barely cope as it is and it's almost a year since the outbreak. I support a return to normality as soon as possible but covid deniers really need to catch themselves on

Every winter hospitals are under pressure with seasonal flu, every winter we are happy to enjoy our freedoms and live our lives with deaths spiking and flu killing off the elderly and vulnerable so I ask why did we start caring about Covid.

We have 4k deaths from cancer every year - we know the harm the likes of fast food, smoking and alcohol have with cancer, heart disease and other health problems. Are we serious about fighting cancer or heart disease or do we just not care as much as we do about Covid? If we are then why do we only take half measures? We all know young people who died in road traffic accidents, mother and fathers who bury their children as a result on this but have we ever taken draconian measures on this?

What is so special about Covid that we take this action on this cause of death when we could do so much more for other things that kill people too.

You can choose to drink alcohol. If you drink excess amounts alcohol it will only damage your body and nobody else. If individuals (especially young people) refuse to follow lockdown rules, were masks and ignore all medical advice they can pick up covid and pass it on to an infinite amount of individuals and cause an infinite amount of deaths for innocent people.

Why should families have to bury other family members due to someone else's selfishness and disregard for human life?

Alcoholics clog up the health system, they take up hospital beds, they take up state resources that could be going to more worthwhile causes, they contribute to violent disorders late at night.

So why do we accept alcohol and its many damaging impacts on society, the same with smoking, the same with fast food, the same with cars on the roads?

You could ask why do people have to choose to bury their loved ones because a selfish man hopped in behind a wheel after drinking a shitload of alcohol. It's very, very easy for me to show up your hypocrisies.

It isn't a hard concept for anyone to understand. While all these things are problems which undoubtedly place extra resource on the health service none of them on there own or even combined are pushing the health service over the brink to where it is today. Hospitals are under a different league of pressure to the normal winter season. You can dress it up in whatever way suits your narrative but the simple fact is we have never had anything on this scale before.

50k excess deaths during the 17/18 winter flu season that nobody batted an eyelid about?

dublin7

Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 04:15:57 PM

Do alcoholics clog up the health system? How many alcoholics are in hospital beds in NI right now?Please provide the numbers to back up this claim.

Could you also please use up to date facts. You keep claiming 3 deaths out of 46k cases of covid, but case numbers are up to 96k now so you're just pedaling misinformation

Generally there are 600-750 hospital admissions per every 100k in the north every year. So you're probably looking 13-14k alcohol related admissions to hospital every year.

Report here: http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/raise/publications/2017-2022/2020/communities/6720.pdf

In the UK they reckon alcohol costs £3.5bn to treat in the health service every year and it's accepted.

In the 06, we have generally around 3-400 alcohol related deaths on an annual basis and yet again we accept that.

We accept all the severe negative aspects alcohol brings to society, we accept the violence, the disorder, the drain on the health system, the cost of treating it. It's acceptable.

Why do we accept that?

So you're guesssing. That's fine. If you don't know, you don't know. You can just admit it

Smurfy123

Angelo u make some decent points but we are in tough times at present
The next 2 weeks will be the toughest I feel then things will improve
Signs already that they are improving dramatically in both the north and south cal
Cases dropping very sharply
Percentages of 80+ being admitted to hospital has also dropped in the north
Would the vaccine have a small say in that already or not??
Over 150000 vaccines into the arms already.
Things are bad but we have some light at the end of the tunnel.
Whenever that may be who knows

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 04:19:26 PM

Why do we accept that?

So you're guesssing. That's fine. If you don't know, you don't know. You can just admit it

I have given you verified facts on alcohol. As you don't like them you have chosen to ignore them as they has disproven your narrative.

So why not ban alcohol to save lives? Maybe your moral pontificating is just mere optics and very hollow.

Cunny Funt

Sadly a record daily high in reported deaths (93) in the ROI today.  In better news the daily reported cases continues to fall as does the daily positive swab count.

Government meeting next Tuesday where level 5 restrictions are expected to be extended.

general_lee

I don't know about you but I haven't heard of people dying from the flu and then their spouse dying from it a few weeks later. I have however heard of a few cases of people dying from covid and then their wife/husband/brother/parent etc also dying from it. In fact I don't think I know anyone who's died from the flu but I know people who have died from covid.

I think it's fair to say that Covid is much worse than the flu. 1/8 people in England is said to have had it which to me seems much more widespread than flu.  Virtually every civilised country in the world is taking measures to combat it. What makes you think they're all wrong and you're right?

QuoteWe have 4k deaths from cancer every year - we know the harm the likes of fast food, smoking and alcohol have with cancer, heart disease and other health problems. Are we serious about fighting cancer or heart disease or do we just not care as much as we do about Covid? If we are then why do we only take half measures? We all know young people who died in road traffic accidents, mother and fathers who bury their children as a result on this but have we ever taken draconian measures on this?
Generally speaking this is irrelevant. I'd be fairly certain however government policy in this country (and most developed countries) over the past 20 years has been geared towards tackling and eradicating childhood obesity, anti-smoking, promoting healthy living, drink/drunk driving, speeding etc. (I was looking at the figures for road deaths and Ireland has had a dramatic drop over the past 20 years or so). Why you are comparing them to a virus though baffles me.

Angelo

Quote from: general_lee on January 19, 2021, 06:20:05 PM

I don't know about you but I haven't heard of people dying from the flu and then their spouse dying from it a few weeks later. I have however heard of a few cases of people dying from covid and then their wife/husband/brother/parent etc also dying from it. In fact I don't think I know anyone who's died from the flu but I know people who have died from covid.

I think it's fair to say that Covid is much worse than the flu. 1/8 people in England is said to have had it which to me seems much more widespread than flu.  Virtually every civilised country in the world is taking measures to combat it. What makes you think they're all wrong and you're right?

QuoteWe have 4k deaths from cancer every year - we know the harm the likes of fast food, smoking and alcohol have with cancer, heart disease and other health problems. Are we serious about fighting cancer or heart disease or do we just not care as much as we do about Covid? If we are then why do we only take half measures? We all know young people who died in road traffic accidents, mother and fathers who bury their children as a result on this but have we ever taken draconian measures on this?
Generally speaking this is irrelevant. I'd be fairly certain however government policy in this country (and most developed countries) over the past 20 years has been geared towards tackling and eradicating childhood obesity, anti-smoking, promoting healthy living, drink/drunk driving, speeding etc. (I was looking at the figures for road deaths and Ireland has had a dramatic drop over the past 20 years or so). Why you are comparing them to a virus though baffles me.

I'm comparing them as they kill annually, cancer kills more, but stuff like road deaths, alcohol related deaths happen yearly. Road deaths in particular kill young people with their whole lives ahead of them. What's our response to that? Half measures like wear your seatbelt, obey the speed limit, don't drink and drive. We kind of throw our hat at road deaths really.

Whereas with Covid we haven't, we shut down society as we know it.

If we are serious about saving lives then we shouldn't be taking half measures. To me it seems we are happy to accept death as long as it's not from Covid.

As for flu, I've heard of it happening in nursing homes before. Clearly Covid is likely to be more risk to the elderly and vulnerable at the minute and that's probably solely due to it being a novel virus and we are learning how to treat it along with flu having an established vaccine.

For the u40 generation, I would not say that Covid is anymore dangerous than flu. We have 3 deaths in the u40 grouping from 46k cases in around 9 months.

I'd hazard a guess that flu can be as fatal in the u40 groupings.

The hospitals and nursing homes have consistently failed vulnerable people throughout this whole thing and are the major source of deaths.

Why is it not regularly disclosed how much the inpatient transmission rate is? Why are they trying to hide these failings from us?

dublin7

Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 05:48:26 PM

Why do we accept that?

I have given you verified facts on alcohol. As you don't like them you have chosen to ignore them as they has disproven your narrative.

So why not ban alcohol to save lives? Maybe your moral pontificating is just mere optics and very hollow.

Please stop with the misleading and misinformation. It's hypocritical of you to criticize others for it when you are guilty of it as well. You guess, reckon and generally think alot there, but I don't see any actual facts or current numbers of people in hospital at the moment being treated for alcohol related illnesses.

Its disappointing, but not surprising. Also after looking up the actual statistics for alcohol related patients in hospital (we both know you really don't care about that)  you should look up the number of people under 40 who have now died of Covid. It's not 4 anymore unfortunately.

Franko

Close relation works in an ICU ward in Belfast.

For the first time in her career, they have had to start prioritising which patients would receive care.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on January 19, 2021, 08:30:02 PM

For the first time in her career, they have had to start prioritising which patients would receive care.

What a decision for these people to take

Crazy, mother in law hoping for surgery on Thursday, after surgery (open heart surgery) I'm led to believe she'll need to be in ICU for a period after.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Franko on January 19, 2021, 08:30:02 PM

Most knew this would be the case unfortunately... Absolutely awful for all involved.

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on January 19, 2021, 08:00:09 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 19, 2021, 05:48:26 PM

Why do we accept that?

Please stop with the misleading and misinformation. It's hypocritical of you to criticize others for it when you are guilty of it as well. You guess, reckon and generally think alot there, but I don't see any actual facts or current numbers of people in hospital at the moment being treated for alcohol related illnesses.

Its disappointing, but not surprising. Also after looking up the actual statistics for alcohol related patients in hospital (we both know you really don't care about that)  you should look up the number of people under 40 who have now died of Covid. It's not 4 anymore unfortunately.

That's pure projection.

All the figures I have stated above are verified.

As of last week we had 46k positive cases in the O6 in the u40 age group, 3 deaths. I've already posted the links to this?

A 0.008% fatality rate in the 0-19 age bracket and a 0.006% fatality rate in the 20-39 age bracket. This is established and verified by the Department of Health in the O6. So why are you disputing verified data from the department of health? Why are you slurring established data from the Department of Health as misinformation? I doubt you are man enough to address why it is in fact you who is trying to distort the truth and deny established facts.

On the 14th January, we had 3 deaths in the u40 age bracket. If you have evidence to counter than then put it forward. Otherwise we can chalk you down for more smoke and mirrors.

You said it was fine that we don't do anything on alcohol. I pointed out to you more facts, the fact that it the UK it costs the health service about £3.5bn a year to treat alcohol related issues, that fact that there is on average 13-14k alcohol related admissions in the O6 every year, the fact that we have around 300-400 alcohol related deaths every year.

And do you want to know about alcohol, a blight on society, a curse that ruins families, ruins lives, leads to violence, disorder and long running physical and mental health issues? Absolutely nothing - why because you are a callous, ponitificating and very insincere virtue signaler., a man who is overflowing with contradiction and sanctimony. Loads of verified facts there, linked to sources.

trailer

BBC1 news should be enough evidence for anyone to realise how serious things are. God love them staff and all NHS staff. To hear absolute arseholes mouthing about lockdowns and not taking vaccines, it just shows the worst part of human nature. Listening to that doctor call that mans wife and tell her that he might not survive. It's heart-breaking.

Angelo

Quote from: trailer on January 19, 2021, 10:11:59 PM
BBC1 news should be enough evidence for anyone to realise how serious things are. God love them staff and all NHS staff. To hear absolute arseholes mouthing about lockdowns and not taking vaccines, it just shows the worst part of human nature. Listening to that doctor call that mans wife and tell her that he might not survive. It's heart-breaking.

A pity you found your sanctimony last year and didn't speak up for the utterly needless deaths we have every single day of our lives.

Absolute arsehole indeed.