English FA Cup 2017

Started by From the Bunker, January 08, 2017, 09:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Liverpool will have to put out a better team v Wolves, probably the biggest tie or City v Palace
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 09, 2017, 08:36:33 PM
Liverpool will have to put out a better team v Wolves, probably the biggest tie or City v Palace

Let's wait and see if the kids/back-ups scrape through the replay!

Ball Hopper

All 3rd round replays done giving the full Fourth Round Draw below.   Southampton/Arsenal the pick of them

Games 27-30 January:

Tottenham v Wycombe
Derby v Leicester on Friday night

Oxford v Newcastle
Sutton v Leeds on Sunday

Liverpool v Wolves
Southampton v Arsenal

Lincoln v Brighton
Chelsea v Brentford

Manchester United v Wigan on Sunday
Millwall v Watford on Sunday

Rochdale v Huddersfield
Burnley v Bristol City

Blackburn v Blackpool
Fulham v Hull on Sunday

Middlesbrough v Accrington Stanley
Crystal Palace v Manchester City

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on January 09, 2017, 05:57:49 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 09, 2017, 04:52:57 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 09, 2017, 02:43:27 PM
I like the 3rd round of the Cup MOTD and always have - reflecting on why I do so leads me to thinking that it was really a sort of round-up of where the lower leagues were at in terms of competitiveness.  This is probably agreeing with what Rufus, wobbler, J70 and Seanie are saying; we're now barraged with football to the extent that we'd never seriously consider looking at League-1, League-2 or LOI matches on the telly, much less getting off our arses to go see local league football (in the flesh), which is sad.  It's no wonder, I suppose, that LOI is at such a low ebb.

People are bombarded with football these days. I can't even be arsed watching my own team most of the time, and I'm paying for it. My team scores or wins, and it barely registered anymore. I couldn't care less if I tried. Football is unrecognisable to even around the start of the PL. Unrecognisable, unpronounceable players from far flung places earning vast sums. No wonder the Irish and British teams struggle internationally.

Surely the widening of the player base is raising the standard of the European leagues though?

The English league used to pretty much only feature the best of the British Isles, with the odd European player here and there. Arnold Muhren and Frans Thissjen were notable for being foreigners 35 years ago, and they only crossed from Holland! Ardiles and Villa very highly exotic recruits for Spurs. But they were not the norm. Even Liverpool, with Grobbelaar and Johnston well established foreign players (albeit from former colonies), still went domestic when they recruited their star team in the late 80s. Bergkampf and Klinsmann really started the flood into the Premier League in the mid-90s (Cantona was already there, but he came into the league as a last chance outcast).

So has the standard of British Isle player dropped in the last 20 years, or has the standard of the league into which they're trying to break risen?

(Not saying its a simple question BTW!)
The money in the game means the worst PL teams have more cash than the top Italian clubs. English clubs scour the world for players so local players get squeezed out. Standards are probably higher
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: J70 on January 09, 2017, 05:57:49 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 09, 2017, 04:52:57 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 09, 2017, 02:43:27 PM
I like the 3rd round of the Cup MOTD and always have - reflecting on why I do so leads me to thinking that it was really a sort of round-up of where the lower leagues were at in terms of competitiveness.  This is probably agreeing with what Rufus, wobbler, J70 and Seanie are saying; we're now barraged with football to the extent that we'd never seriously consider looking at League-1, League-2 or LOI matches on the telly, much less getting off our arses to go see local league football (in the flesh), which is sad.  It's no wonder, I suppose, that LOI is at such a low ebb.

People are bombarded with football these days. I can't even be arsed watching my own team most of the time, and I'm paying for it. My team scores or wins, and it barely registered anymore. I couldn't care less if I tried. Football is unrecognisable to even around the start of the PL. Unrecognisable, unpronounceable players from far flung places earning vast sums. No wonder the Irish and British teams struggle internationally.

Surely the widening of the player base is raising the standard of the European leagues though?

The English league used to pretty much only feature the best of the British Isles, with the odd European player here and there. Arnold Muhren and Frans Thissjen were notable for being foreigners 35 years ago, and they only crossed from Holland! Ardiles and Villa very highly exotic recruits for Spurs. But they were not the norm. Even Liverpool, with Grobbelaar and Johnston well established foreign players (albeit from former colonies), still went domestic when they recruited their star team in the late 80s. Bergkampf and Klinsmann really started the flood into the Premier League in the mid-90s (Cantona was already there, but he came into the league as a last chance outcast).

So has the standard of British Isle player dropped in the last 20 years, or has the standard of the league into which they're trying to break risen?

(Not saying its a simple question BTW!)

In 1985 Norman Whiteside (a top player with a top club) was earning £350 a week. Football (Soccer) was a local common mans game with players doing apprenticeships before they tuned professional and testimonials before they retired. Clubs had a mixture of local lads who had made the break through and lads bought in from English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh to make the club better/stronger. Top Division One teams (What the Premier League was then called) had no scouts outside the British Isles and Ireland. Players from Africa and South America just did not play in England. And were ignored. Many were ignored because of culture.

Of course it is harder for British Isles and Irish players to get opportunities to progress anymore. They are up against players from all over the world. In the 1993/94 season there were 33 foreign players in the premiership.

One of the last big swing of players to come through at a club was the class of '92 at United. A big part in these lads making the break through was their exposure to playing Champions League football early in their career, due to the foreign player rule that was around at the time. They got an opportunity many players would never get and they took full advantage of it.

Today, Managers don't last as long at clubs. Clubs want instant success. Managers have to have instant success to survive. Ready made players are bought in for quick fixes. Managers are no longer native either and look to their native land for players.

laoislad

Darren Bent own goal!
https://youtu.be/ELRj6Jem7AE

Not as bad as our  Djimi though I think.
https://youtu.be/bCxjcS7tsQs
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Enjoyed Lincoln game this afternoon, took me back to when the cup was something special. Hope they get a really big draw now.

Southamptons attitude to it this evening is crazy, I've not heard of most of their players, mid table in Prem not gonna make top 6 not gonna be relegated, play a decent team for f**k sake.. 3 down after 30 mins against an understrength Arsenal..

imtommygunn

They are getting spanked. Good to see wellbeck scoring on comeback as he has been out a long time.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Boycey

Some team in the African Cups of Nations are/were too. I'm too lazy to google it

Avondhu star

Quote from: Boycey on January 28, 2017, 06:16:19 PM
Enjoyed Lincoln game this afternoon, took me back to when the cup was something special. Hope they get a really big draw now.

Southamptons attitude to it this evening is crazy, I've not heard of most of their players, mid table in Prem not gonna make top 6 not gonna be relegated, play a decent team for f**k sake.. 3 down after 30 mins against an understrength Arsenal..

Arsenal at 11/10 for away win was the banker of the weekend. Southampton have their Wembley date booked and are happy with that. Lack of ambition. Mid table club, always was always will be
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Milltown Row2

Going to stick fiver on Utd -2 .... that's them scudded
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SHEEDY

Big upset with Sutton utd beating leeds utd 1-0. 2 non league now in 5th round. They'll be looking to draw a chelsea or arsenal now, probably end up drawing each other.
nil satis nisi optimum

Main Street

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 29, 2017, 03:14:38 PM
Quote from: Boycey on January 28, 2017, 06:16:19 PM

Arsenal at 11/10 for away win was the banker of the weekend. Southampton have their Wembley date booked and are happy with that. Lack of ambition. Mid table club, always was always will be
Lack of ambition me hole, what a corny asinine assessment!
Southampton will be playing an important league game on Tuesday, 3rd game in 6 days.

Ball Hopper

Fifth Round Draw, games to be played 17-20 February

Burnley v Lincoln City
Fulham v Tottenham

Blackburn v Man Utd
Sutton v Arsenal

Middlesbrough v Oxford
Wolves v Chelsea

Huddersfield v Man City
Millwall v Derby or Leicester