European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Ronaldo will be rightly pissed off that the young lad didn't pass to him for the 4th goal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Captain Obvious

He will be however what more can be said about Cristiano Ronaldo? the first player to score 100 Champions league goals. His 41st hat trick for Real Madrid tonight. Six goals Real Madrid scored over two games against Bayern Munich where five scored by Ronaldo and before this tie was played Eamon Dunphy said Ronaldo was finished.

ONeill

He's some pup alright. He's still behind Messi, Van Nistlerooy, Di Stefano, Eusebio, Puskas, Muller and Papin in terms of goals per game in that competition but deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as most of them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: clarshack on April 18, 2017, 10:30:09 PM
Thought Bayern were well shafted tonight. The Vidal sending off was ridiculous.

Bayern must feel aggrieved.    Until video refs are brought into the ECL, undeserving results by poor ref decisions  like Liverpool in 05 will continue to blight the record.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 18, 2017, 10:52:36 PM
Quote from: clarshack on April 18, 2017, 10:30:09 PM
Thought Bayern were well shafted tonight. The Vidal sending off was ridiculous.

Bayern must feel aggrieved.    Until video refs are brought into the ECL, undeserving results by poor ref decisions  like Liverpool in 05 will continue to blight the record.

1,2,3,4,5😂

ashman

Quote from: ONeill on April 18, 2017, 10:40:37 PM
Ronaldo will be rightly pissed off that the young lad didn't pass to him for the 4th goal.

Feel the seethe . 

Milltown Row2

Why anyone would think Ronaldo isn't a great footballer is beyond me.... his record alone on goal scoring is outstanding plus whatever else he brings to the table is huge...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2017, 11:31:46 PM
Why anyone would think Ronaldo isn't a great footballer is beyond me.... his record alone on goal scoring is outstanding plus whatever else he brings to the table is huge...

Ronaldo is so fit and strong I can see him aging like Ibrah has. Messi is obviously fit too but he doesn't have the sheer power to make up for losing the yard of pace like Ronaldo does. If he wants it he can be a 20+ goal a season player in the top leagues into his mid to late 30s.

If Messi was to fade away and Ronaldo pulls a Ibrah the GoAT debate between him and Messi swings Ronaldo's way imho.

gallsman

The older Messi gets, he just moves more into an Iniesta role. His vision and passing is never mentioned as much as his control and goal scoring but it's absolutely exceptional. He's plenty strong enough with low centre of gravity to play that role too.

The sending off of Vidal was ludicrous, particularly in context of the ref's apparent refusal to send Casemiro off. Cracking game though.

The Stallion

Ronaldo isn't even in the mix for the title of greatest of all time in my opinion. Messi is a vastly superior player.

under the bar

Quote from: The Stallion on April 19, 2017, 07:11:01 AM
Ronaldo isn't even in the mix for the title of greatest of all time in my opinion. Messi is a vastly superior player.

He's not in terms of ECL wins or international achievements.  With Argentina Messi has been nothing short of a flop so cannot be afforded the same status as Maradona or Pele.  Time is running out for him.  Ronaldo on the other hand captained Portugal to the Euros.

The Stallion

Portugal's best performance in the Euros was the final which Ronaldo contributed nothing to apart from crying for himself. One could argue he was holding Portugal back with his selfish and lazy displays.

Messi was arguably Argentina's best player in taking them to the World Cup final. Not sure why Ronaldo is given credit for a trophy where he did nothing in the most important game while Messi is not given credit for getting to the final of a bigger tournament.

Regardless of the obvious flaws in your argument, trophies won has no bearing when judging how good a player was. Phil Neville has a cabinet full of medals yet was a shite player. 

The Stallion

"With Argentina Messi has been nothing short of a flop "

Lol at this by the way. One of the most idiotic things I've read on here in a while which is saying something.

Averaging about a goal every other game, playing well in getting a limited side to a World Cup final, U-20 World Cup winner, Olympic gold medallist, named best player of the tournament at a World Cup and Copa America, most assists and man of the match awards in Copa America history etc etc.

Flop though apparently lol.

Taylor

Messi is an absolute genius - no other player can control a game the way he can. Even when double & triple marked he can do the business.

Ronaldo on the other hand has moments of genius but goes missing in many many games. Put a man marker on Ronaldo and he becomes annonymous ala Cashley Cole.

gallsman

Ronaldo shows up but can definitely go missing, and tends to lose the head when he does. He was anonymous last night until extra time and Madrid had the extra man. Of course, it could be argued that that was when they needed him most.

He was similarly awful in the two Champions League finals against Atléti.