TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan Tremblay

Watched 13 reasons why over the last 2 weekends after it was all over the news and Fbook and that, thought it was good show but some disturbing scenes in the last few episodes.  Is it marketed for teenagers/ young adults? 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Up The Middle

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 08, 2017, 03:01:30 PM
Watched 13 reasons why over the last 2 weekends after it was all over the news and Fbook and that, thought it was good show but some disturbing scenes in the last few episodes.  Is it marketed for teenagers/ young adults?

Was wondering that myself, was it glamorising suicide to an extent? Last episode had one scene in particular that was very hard to watch.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Ethan Tremblay

I wouldn't have said glamorise it, and surely enough the issues in the show need talked about, but one father of a real life suicide victim hit the nail on the head by saying it would plant a seed in the minds of young adults and can be interpreted as a solution to issues many young people face. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

bennydorano

No Tomorrow, Romantic Comedy drama. Easy viewing & fairly good.

Milltown Row2

Second series of Versailles... I always disliked period dramas but this has a lot going for it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

5 Sams

Latest episode of Better Call Saul is superb.
The Aristocrat Years

Main Street

I've finished 3 seasons of Bosch
They're  based on extracts from the early books, a conclusion is reached at the end of the 3rd season, a variation on the Concrete Blonde. I read that there's a 4th season in some stage of production.
The 2nd book (The Black Ice) was skipped entirely, when Harry went to Mexico, imo it was the weakest book of the whole series with a convoluted plot.
Harry's actor is spot on but the age difference is big, Harry was about 40 at the outset and this tv Harry is about mid 50s. There are many good scenes left out from the strongest story line in the early books, The Last Coyote to do with Harry's investigation into his mother's murder and concurrent sessions with the police dept shrink (in Chinatown :)), for instance the scenes when LAPD's  A.I.D. arrested and attempted interrogation about 98 Pound's murder.
The books are first class, nevertheless the tv series is a good companion to the books.

ziggy90

Little Boy Blue.
Harrowing.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 16, 2017, 10:02:37 PM
Little Boy Blue.
Harrowing.

Awful and just finished watching Three girls, x2 harrowing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Watcher

Aye 3 girls was rough alright.  Might give it a miss tomorrow night as pretty disturbing stuff.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: An Watcher on May 16, 2017, 10:47:44 PM
Aye 3 girls was rough alright.  Might give it a miss tomorrow night as pretty disturbing stuff.

Yeah me and missus said same thing! f**king hortible

lurganblue

Finished series 2 of Billions there. Much much better than the 1st series. Such a well performed show.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lurganblue on May 17, 2017, 09:45:47 AM
Finished series 2 of Billions there. Much much better than the 1st series. Such a well performed show.
It's great. Wouldn't have minded seeing a bit more of Chuck's missus in her "party gear" though  :-X :-*

leenie

The keepers ... a 7 episode series on Netflix
The Keepers reveals that the case of Sister Cathy Cesnik, while not very famous, is actually bigger than most of those referenced. Initially, the story does seem like just another singular whodunit situation. As the series goes on, the micro tik-tok of one woman's death expands to the macro investigation of a Catholic Church cover-up with a side of possible police corruption..

A must watch ...
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

thewobbler

Person of Interest reached its end in an unusually accomplished and satisfactory way for a TV series. So much so it needs a eulogy.

Scroll back far enough and you'll find me condemning series 1 of this show as steaming horseshit. But once the longer narrative started to play out in series 2, it became rather clever. Series 3 was absolutely genius. Series 4 and 5 not quite the same heights but each had 4-5 staggeringly good episodes.

If somehow HBO could take control of the team behind this concept, and give them a Wire-style freedom from making self contained episodes, in favour of always feeding an extended narrative, it could be the greatest TV ever.