rule 42 again

Started by winsamsoon, August 21, 2007, 12:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

QuoteThey played snippets of every countrys national anthem as the athletes entered the stadium for the opening ceremony.

Snippets by Dad. Amazing how these "accepted facts" can crumble when someone challenges them.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 21, 2007, 04:59:00 PM
QuoteThey played snippets of every countrys national anthem as the athletes entered the stadium for the opening ceremony.

Snippets by Dad. Amazing how these "accepted facts" can crumble when someone challenges them.
I can imagine it.
The Garda band learning to play 165 different "snippets"!
A lot of frantic page turning of the music sheets to get all those tunes beaten out in about an hour or two.

Frank Casey

For f...s sake, it was played. No one died. The sun rose the following morning.
KERRY 3:7

Mike Sheehy

Fair enough...there was no need to bite his head off though.

magpie seanie

Had this reply typed yesterday before the latest "crash"

QuoteSpeaking of Rule 42, does anyone have any comment on the €38 million proceeds from renting Croke Park (so far) that is going straight to grass roots development?

Hardy - I'm glad to see that its apparently going to be put to good, long term sustainable use. I'm just worried about what the FAI and IRFU will do with the extra millions they generate. I'd accept its more likely the GAA will use its monies better but it might not always be that way.

winsamsoon

I would agree with most of what Mid louth is saying. This thread was not started to debate the opening of croke park but if you find it relevant then by all means include it. I was merley looking to find out wheter or not GSTQ was first played at the Rugby game in Croker between Ireland and England or at the special Olympics. On the issue of snippets i think these are played at the real Olympics but as i didn't see the opening ceremony of the special Olympics i wasn't sure. I raised this topic because i was having a debate the other night about rule 42. I produced the JJ Barrett article and claimed that this was a reason against foreign games in Croker. Just then some guy claimed GSTQ had been played at the special olympics???? I wasn't sure about this so i thought i would ask the lads on the board. I must say it is as clear as ever  :D . keep them coming anyway.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Tankie

Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 21, 2007, 11:05:59 AM
Quote from: Star Spangler on August 21, 2007, 11:03:34 AM
Quote from: Tankie on August 21, 2007, 11:00:59 AM
Yes God Save the Queen was played before the Special Oylimpics. But that doesnt count apparently...... ???

Why was it played?

And when? And was every single other anthem played? In Croke Park?

Yes as far as i can remember they were all played, but it was played
Grand Slam Saturday!

Treasurer

It wasn't played at the Special Olympics.  In the run up the rugby it was commonly reported that it HAD been played, but eventually someone actually took the trouble to check with special olympics and no, it hadn't been played at all.

magpie seanie

QuoteYour acting like a child

And the hits just keep coming!

twotwocharlie

38 million my arse.clubs wont see a f**king cent. fat arses at county board level will make sure of that.  the sooner  rugby and soccer f**k away off to their own ground the better.

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Personally I found it hard to stomach hearing GSTQ in croker given the history of the stadium etc but that day was always going to come once we opened the stadium up.

No doubt it was a difficult decision to take but the GAA was caught in a no win situation, we either let our competition into Croke Park and gained whatever finanicial benefit we could from this or we allowed Irish teams to play abroad which would have been a PR disaster. What was amazing for many GAA fans in the north was that some people got more excited about letting soccor and rugby into Croke Park (and charing them heftly for it) than they did about rule 21.

The key point here is not who was let into Croke Park and what anthem was or wasn't played but rather how we use the money they give us to "bury them" in terms of youth development and growing our games at grass roots level particularly in urban areas - the success of Dublin underage hurling shows that with the right commitment and investment you can get results and that is what we all want, more kids playing the game in better facilities and with better coaching provided.

winsamsoon

Tankie, that i the best way i have ever seen someone surender when they have been beaten. You surely could continue without getting banned i you had evidence. Tresurer are you sure about that informtion mate??? you seem to be pretty certain???

Treasurer

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 23, 2007, 02:59:54 PM
Tankie, that i the best way i have ever seen someone surender when they have been beaten. You surely could continue without getting banned i you had evidence. Tresurer are you sure about that informtion mate??? you seem to be pretty certain???

100%

winsamsoon

Good stuff then i shall take that as gospel!!!