Laois Senior Footballers 2024

Started by les Antiques, December 31, 2023, 12:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

Laois Rising

McNulty has recognised the need for pace in the team and building a sound defensive structure. Two attributes that were solely lacking in Croke Park last year against Down. It's going to take time and we as supporters need to be patient as it will take two to three years for the younger players to fully develop as proper intercounty standard footballers. You cannot build up the strength and conditioning required or gain the necessary experience of playing in high tempo, competitive championship games overnight. I think plenty of lessons have been learned from the Carlow and Offaly games. Still plenty to work on having watched back to Wicklow game but plenty of positives in the performance too. Fermanagh and Carlow was a very competitive affair so I do not expect us to be too far off them in the final group game. A home quarter final would be very welcome and avoiding the likes of Sligo, Kildare and Down at that stage of the competition. If we fail to top the group and we manage to progress to a quarter final then it is one of those three sides away that we would have to play.   

Joeythelips

Was anyone at the Fermanagh match? Decent scoreline but came out the wrong side of the result.

Home match against New York next week and if we win that an away quarter final against either Kildare, Sligo or Down awaits.

County Man

A brave, spirited team performance yesterday against Fermanagh that just fell short in the end. On a warm afternoon in Longford, the lads left everything on the pitch.

Rioghan Murphy brought great energy for the whole game and won the penalty that was brilliantly converted by Mark Barry. Evan O'Carroll's goal was superbly taken with a great direct ball in by Damon Larkin who had an excellent game. We turned Fermanagh over a number of times throughout the game and they really had to earn their victory.

Paul Kingston chipped in with scores of the highest standard. I was impressed with both Dylan Kavanagh and Seamus Lacey's contributions also.

So New York next week in the preliminary QF. It could be a chance for some of the panel members to put their hand up for selection for what should be an away quarter final the week after. The panel has definitely been strenghtened in advance of next year's division 3 with lads well able to contribute when brought on. Yesterday I thought that Mikie Dempsey in particular did well when coming on.

I'd love a go at Kildare in a quarter final. A local derby, a decent crowd and a championship atmosphere. Obviously they would be favourites but I'd love to see where we're at. They only really saw off Leitrim in the last 10 minutes in the 2nd game yesterday in Longford and I'd be hopeful that we could really test them.