Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 08:44:46 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on May 21, 2014, 07:43:11 PMAnd as for Cliona Foley, like a lot of journalists, her focus is on her day job, not Tv. To suggest her not appearing on TV more is some sexist conspiracy is actually fairly reductive of her very successful career as a sports writer, and in itself, sexist. Not every woman is dying to be on TV.
You can have a sense of humour and still call out Joe for a horribly misjudged and sexist comment. He should know better. We all should.

What were the "Animal Farm" comments heffo?

Without quoting them verbatim, the jist of it was that he implied certain people in Croke park were like the pigs in Animal farm - he deleted the tweets and apologised over it.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 21, 2014, 10:17:58 PM
Croi the inference I was taking from your comments re Cliona Foley was that the reason she is never on TV is because she might not be considered as attractive as Rachel Wyse. If I was wrong to take it as that, I apologise, but I wasn't the only one to read your post that way. On the mobile so I can't do the whole quote thing. Not important anyway, brolly's comments are the thing. btw his apology was absolutely pathetic - I think he has really damaged his credibility - wouldn't be surprised if he had to sit out a few Sundays.

No worries ET. My point was that you will never find Cliona Foley presenting on Sky Sports as she doesn't fit into their formula, hair colour being an obvious one. Agreed that Brolly's comments were crude and uncalled for in case it needs stating.

Quote from: heffo on May 21, 2014, 10:36:23 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 08:44:46 PM
What were the "Animal Farm" comments heffo?
Without quoting them verbatim, the jist of it was that he implied certain people in Croke park were like the pigs in Animal farm - he deleted the tweets and apologised over it.

Didn't see them, thanks heffo. You'd think, as a barrister, he'd be able to reign himself in outside of the dog box with no Spillane yapping in his ear.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

easytiger95

But there you go again Croi - to assume that Cliona Foley is not on telly because she doesn't fit Sky's standards if attractiveness is completely off the mark. Cliona Foley isn't on telly much because she is a print journalist. To bring her in as an example of sky's sexist policy ie she wouldn't make it there completely ignores the fact that she presumably doesn't want to present on sky, has never made any effort to.present on sky, and has never presented on any other programmes on other channels. She has been used as an analyst on Rte and setanta programmes but she probably suffers from the same problem all print journalists do when asked to come into studio to cover breaking news - they are either at the event in question or writing about it. If your proof of sky's sexism is Cliona Foley's absence than you have no proof. However we do gave proof of Joe Brolly's blatant sexism, it is on his twitter feed. That is what we should be concentrating on.

Croí na hÉireann

Christ on a bike, I know Cliona Foley has zero interest of wanting to appear on Sky Sports. My point is, Sky going on their track record, would never approach or want her on there as she doesn't meet their formula.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 22, 2014, 10:19:11 AM
Christ on a bike, I know Cliona Foley has zero interest of wanting to appear on Sky Sports. My point is, Sky going on their track record, would never approach or want her on there as she doesn't meet their formula.

Basically, what you're saying is Cliona Foley is not pretty enough for Sky. Is that it?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 10:27:32 AM

Basically, what you're saying is Cliona Foley is not pretty enough for Sky. Is that it?

In Sky's eyes, yes, she doesn't meet their formula.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 22, 2014, 10:37:44 AM

What is Sky's formula, for presenting live sport?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 10:47:22 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 22, 2014, 10:37:44 AM

What is Sky's formula, for presenting live sport?

I think you've already answered that question.

AZOffaly

OK, I'll phrase it another way. Name me a live sport on Sky Sports which is presented by a woman.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 10:52:50 AM
OK, I'll phrase it another way. Name me a live sport on Sky Sports which is presented by a woman.

I haven't got the time nor the inclination to research that. To take a name introduced a few pages pack, if Clare Balding was starting her career now, do you think she'd get a job with Sky?

What I want in a presenter is someone who's able to tease answers out of difficult interviewees and ask the tough questions. Take for example Clare McNamara interviewing Brian Cody last summer. She was able to get him to finally give his opinion on whether he thought the referee was right to award a free in a particular incident or not. Now contrast that with Marty Morrissey nearly getting levelled at the end of the 2009 All Ireland final by him. Now if they have a face for telly and are able to read an auto cue on top of that, well that's a bonus, but they should be the last criteria, not the first.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 22, 2014, 11:34:44 AM

I haven't got the time nor the inclination to research that. To take a name introduced a few pages pack, if Clare Balding was starting her career now, do you think she'd get a job with Sky?

What I want in a presenter is someone who's able to tease answers out of difficult interviewees and ask the tough questions. Take for example Clare McNamara interviewing Brian Cody last summer. She was able to get him to finally give his opinion on whether he thought the referee was right to award a free in a particular incident or not. Now contrast that with Marty Morrissey nearly getting levelled at the end of the 2009 All Ireland final by him. Now if they have a face for telly and are able to read an auto cue on top of that, well that's a bonus, but they should be the last criteria, not the first.

Come on now. That's a cop out. You said this is Sky's formula, therefore it should be very easy. I'm not picking on you, but it's just another example of how people believe stuff like this without considering the motivation behind it. Just because Joe says it's the Sky formula, doesn't make it so.

Sky Sports News is wide open to that charge, no argument, but Sky's presentation of live sport is almost the polar opposite. If anything it's a closed shop for Women, and Rachel Wyse is doing something quite rare.

BBC and ITV have more live sports presented by women than Sky, I'd bet on that.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 11:37:57 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 22, 2014, 11:34:44 AM

Come on now. That's a cop out. You said this is Sky's formula, therefore it should be very easy. I'm not picking on you, but it's just another example of how people believe stuff like this without considering the motivation behind it. Just because Joe says it's the Sky formula, doesn't make it so.

Sky Sports News is wide open to that charge, no argument, but Sky's presentation of live sport is almost the polar opposite. If anything it's a closed shop for Women, and Rachel Wyse is doing something quite rare.

BBC and ITV have more live sports presented by women than Sky, I'd bet on that.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=female+sky+sports+presenters&safe=off&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=W9l9U7usIYvB7AaL24AI&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

cockahoop

golf

AZOffaly

Thanks. You've made my point for me. Every one of them are Sky Sports NEWS presenters. None of them present live sports on Sky Sports. I've already said that a couple of times. Sarah Jane Mee, the red headed lady, presented Football First, or Match Choice a couple of times, as did Clare Balding I think. All the rest are news presenters on SSN, so as I said, Rachel Wyse is actually breaking the 'Formula'.

The Sky Sports presenting 'formula' if there is one, is for Professional 'broadcaster' (male) to anchor the show, with ex-pros in the sport being covered providing the 'analysis', using flashy graphics and gimmicky tools. If the presenter also happens to be an ex-pro (David Gower in cricket, Brian Carney in Rugby Leage) so much the better.

AZOffaly

Quote from: cockahoop on May 22, 2014, 12:04:27 PM

golf

Correct. Golf is presented by a woman fairly often. So, is one sport evidence of a formula? In that case TG4's formula is the very same because that blonde girl presents Rugbai beo. And of course Joanne Cantwell presents against the head  on RTE, so it's the RTE formula as well.