Galway v Leitrim 14/6/08

Started by 45GoneShort, May 19, 2008, 06:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaroonAndWhite

Im open to correction but I believe that its financial difficulties meant the redevelopment stopped abruptly. A mystery why the took away the "Corofin/Cortoon corner" as they christened that corner of the terrace......
However, and heres the good news, the Co Board so peeved are they at the multitude of planning objections to them putting floodlighting in Pearse Stadium are rowing in behind the Tuam Stadium committee, pulling the planning app in Glaway and assisting with the Tuam redevelopment funding. Agree it would be great to get the games back to Tuam....the fall away in support coincided with the move to Salthill (plus the recent piss poor championship record :'()
God be with the days....Leo Moran outside the home house with the guitar tippin away, minerals sweets and choc ices all round  :)

magpie seanie

QuoteAt least in pearse Galway cant really use the tradition card or do I feel like im going into the lions den like when i walk up to tuam.

They've given us a fair few trimmings in Pearse over the years not least 1990, the worst of them all. I really hate that ground. Much better atmosphere in Tuam. I love going into the Lions den and I'm sure you do too Sligonian! I see your point but I don't go in for too much of that.

GalwayBayBoy

I think Galway's record in Pearse probably isn't too far off what it was in Tuam either even though Pearse wasn't used for a fair few years. I know Mayo's win in Tuam in 99 was their first there in donkey's years but they haven't won very many in Pearse either from what I remember.

Still though in Tuam the whole town is geared towards the game. Out in Salhill you could even be in Galway city centre and barely even know there's a match going on out the road.

SLIGONIAN

I remember 1990 me aged 8, I remember begging me Dad to bring us to amusements after aswell but he was too pissed off, just drove the whole way home instead :-[. Very dark day but Im not sure we were there since except 2006. So I have only 2 bad memories from there although last time could of won. I have alot of memories in early 90s of tuam and johnny kenny playing good stuff for us then. Ran Galway close a few times.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

45GoneShort

Good result for Leitrim at weekend against Westmeath winning on a scoreline of 1-14 to 0-08 in a challenge game but from what I heard Westmeath played a second string team, having said that a win is a win and can only boost confidence ahead of our assault on Salthill Sunday fortnight.

Rossfan

The quicker ye lads re open Tuam the better. At least we always do well there. I dont think we lost there since 1984 !!!
As for the subject of the thread = My best wishes go with the grey ridgers but I fear it will be the Tommy for them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Solo Run

Haven't checked the other sites but Betfair has Galway 1/9 Leitrim 11/1; 18.5/1 the draw. Now I haven't checked the other bookies but you can assume something similar.

I bet quite a bit in all sports and do a lot of in-running, GAA, Soccer, Cricket, US Football, in general a nice way to make a few bob if you are happy with steady returns and try not to go for the kill, be happy with 25-40% of your stake. Now I'll be at this match and I won't be able to bet in-running (not inclined to hand over my account to anyone).

Anyway I guarantee Leitrim even if they lose this match will not remain at 11/1, at some stage they will hit 5 or 6/1 even if they are losing. Lay-off in proportion so you can sit back and give yourself a nice little 20% return for your stake on Galway, and enough to give yourself a nice little earner if Leitrim pull through or get the draw.

Lesser odds I presume with Paddy Power, but no liquidity limitations as per Betfair (other than your own funds, of course)

You can thank me later!

GaillimhIarthair

Galway Team to play Leitrim

1                  Paul Doherty
2                  Garreth Bradshaw
3                  Finnian Hanley
4                  Damien Burke
5                  Declan Meehan
6                  Niall Coyne
7                  Gary Sice
8                  Niall Coleman 
9                  Mark Lydon
10                Paul Conroy
11                Padraig Joyce
12                Nicky Joyce 
13                Matthew Clancy
14                Michael Meehan 
15                Fiachra Breathnach

dodo

QuoteGalway football manager Liam Sammon also rings the changes for their Connacht semi-final against Leitrim as Damien Burke comes in for the injured Kieran Fitzgerald, Niall Coleman takes over from Barry Cullinane who is dropped and Damien Dunleavy makes way for Nickey Joyce.

Irish Indo

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 11, 2008, 08:03:17 AM
Galway Team to play Leitrim

1                  Paul Doherty

Didn't expect Cullinane to be dropped. Coleman didn't really play well during the league so it's up to him now to take his chance. Good to see Nicky back. Adds another scoring threat although I thought he might take Breathnach's place. Breathnach must have photographs of Sammon in a compromising position or something. I'm not sure how he keeps making the team? Fitzy out injured so Bradshaw comes in again.

All in all the six forwards look fairly tasty (bar the obvious exception). I guess midfield is the big question mark. Coleman and Lydon have to gain a solid foothold there and hopefully the backs can do a better job on Maxwell than last year but it's more a matter of stopping the supply.

Galforever

Quote1                  Paul Doherty

We look weaker now at midfield than ever! Would not drop Cullinane despite the amount of ball he gives away. That midfield looks very very light. Not sure what Leitrims midfield is like at the moment but if they have a couple of big men to put in, this is the game to do it.

I hope Bradshaw has a real test this time. In the game aginst Ros, he was never really tested (When he was, he looked suspect) and after the sending off, he was rarely seen in a corner back position.

Declan Meehan & Gary Sice are both very lucky to hold on to their places as both were poor aginst Ros. Darren Mullahy was in great form during the league and is flying for Milltown at the moment.

Forwards do look good. Not so sure about Breathach. He has a lot to prove yet but he is still young. This forward line has a lot of options. The two Joyces could easily play in the full forward line. Brathnach can play on the wing while Clancy will roam. So you do have options there if things are going well. It's alway good to have options!

QuoteColeman didn't really play well during the league so it's up to him now to take his chance

Coleman had a good league up until the Kerry game. However, his best games come up at number 10 playing more as a third midfileder than a half-forward. Its a shame that Sammon didnt stick with him there a bit longer and let him grow into that position.

Whats up with Fitzgerald? When will he back?

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteColeman had a good league up until the Kerry game

Not sure about that. He got hauled off after about 15 minutes in the Laois game and I think Sammon took him off early in another game as well. He's got talent but struggles against bigger opposition midfielders. I agree though he's probably more suited to the half-forward line.

I still think Mullahy should be in there. Probably the form footballer in Galway this year so far. Hope Bradshaw goes alright. He did fine against Roscommon but was never tested really. He's not a corner-back though so I'd be worried about him being a bit too loose for that position.

MaroonAndWhite

Id have stuck with Cullinane too Galforever, despite his limitations and occasioanl temper tantrums. Desperately short of grunt at midfield now....

Looks as though Salmon has exercised all his options and is hoping to break plenty of ball and pack the half forward line with ball winners. I could see Nicky and "the chosen one" Breathnach swapping and leaving Meehan and Nicky inside and have the wingforwards and Matt Clancy swarm the middle. No one there capable of winning the majority of primary possession but hopefully can spoil and give the others to get in around the breaking ball.

Agree Mullahy must feel very hard done by not to have got in at wing back......Bradshaw is not a corner back to start with but suppose a good test would stand to him and at least we would know if hes capable of sticking 2 or 4 on his back if one of Fitz or Burke got injured further into the championship, or the back door.

Fitz is out with a hamstring problem I think.....the team have been cursed with injuries this year. You think we are due a break sometime soon in this regard.

Id say the crowds will stay away on Sunday given its on telly.....will the Leitrim lads bring numbers? Id imagine so...they usually do...

GalwayBayBoy

Must be the smallest midfield Galway have fielded in a long time. Coleman is just a rizla paper over 6 foot and while Lydon is 6'3 I think he is not a physically imposing 6'3.

Those two are not going to field much clean ball so everyone better be tuned in to collect the breaking ball. I imagine big Barry will get a run out at some stage alright on Sunday. Maybe sooner rather than later.

MaroonAndWhite