Sinead O'Connor RIP

Started by From the Bunker, July 26, 2023, 08:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

A bit of a shock. A young woman to leave this world at 56. Was never a fan of her music, voice etc. But I liked her for her rogue element and taking on certain establishments in an unorthodox way. She held great sway in RTE and they courted and gave her a lot of exposure despite much of her mad indoctrinations. I have never seen anyone one else bar Pat Ingoldsby pull that off.

brokencrossbar1

Am listening to John Creedon here trying to make sense of this but knowing that it is the most sensible thing in a senseless world. She saw the world around us for what it was and Shane and she are together again for eternity. A broken but beautiful soul, wife is devastated. Codladh sámh a chroí

naka

Rest in peace Sinead o Connor
Loved her voice 
Foggy dew, Danny boy on the late late show in 93 and nothing compares to you simply sensational renditions by her
a troubled soul and a tough few years

weareros

Sinéad and Terry Hall did a neat little cover of Dana's All Kinds of Everything. Hard to believe they are both gone now. RIP.

seafoid

A global star.Hard to credit. The death of her son last year must have cut very deep.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

She wrote on her twitter a few weeks ago about moving back to London after 23 years absence and was very happy, finishing a new album hoping to release it early next year and hoped to Tour Australia and New Zealand toward end 2024. Europe, USA and other territories beginning early 2025. 

A shame she didn't get to fulfil that  RIP.

AustinPowers

It was probably  just a matter of time  before  we heard this news.  Especially  moreso after her son died  last year.

I always found  it very difficult  to like her, to be   honest.  All this religious, ordination stuff, then this Muslim phase ( or whatever she became later)  just seemed like   constant attempts  for her to try and remain  relevant

I don't mind her version of Nothing compares to you , but  her career never amounted  to much other than  that.   Never really understood the  talk of her having an amazing voice. I never thought so , but others did , so  each to their own

Sorry , I know threads like  these are meant to be  about how great  someone was  , but I don't really have anything positive  to say about  the woman.  God help her children

downtothecore

Austinpowers I have the same viewpoint on the lady.

Itchy

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 26, 2023, 10:29:35 PM
It was probably  just a matter of time  before  we heard this news.  Especially  moreso after her son died  last year.

I always found  it very difficult  to like her, to be   honest.  All this religious, ordination stuff, then this Muslim phase ( or whatever she became later)  just seemed like   constant attempts  for her to try and remain  relevant

I don't mind her version of Nothing compares to you , but  her career never amounted  to much other than  that.   Never really understood the  talk of her having an amazing voice. I never thought so , but others did , so  each to their own

Sorry , I know threads like  these are meant to be  about how great  someone was  , but I don't really have anything positive  to say about  the woman.  God help her children

You are entitled to your opinion, a strange time to voice it. Millions of people think differently. Ireland has created some legendary singers and songwriters. Sinead O Connor was one, Shane NcGowan another. When they are gone will we have anyone left with half their talent?

Captain Obvious

I don’t mind her version of Nothing compares to you , but  her career never amounted  to much other than  that.   Never really understood the  talk of her having an amazing voice. I never thought so , but others did , so  each to their own

Sorry , I know threads like  these are meant to be  about how great  someone was  , but I don’t really have anything positive  to say about  the woman.  God help her children

Probably best not post on this thread at all if that's the case for you or anyone else with that view.

From the Bunker

Two weeks after the Saturday Night Live appearance, she was set to perform "I Believe in You" at the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary tribute concert in Madison Square Garden. She was greeted by a thundering mixture of cheers and jeers. During the booing, Kris Kristofferson told her not to "let the bastards get you down", to which she replied, "I'm not down.''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxTDHMQza8

As I said earlier, she was not my cup of tea music wise, but she had balls, she craved attention, she looked to be a decent skin and she was greatly troubled from her past.

She meant well but often came across badly trying to do the right thing.

restorepride

Please feel free to elaborate. Musically speaking.

AustinPowers

Quote from: restorepride on July 27, 2023, 12:15:50 AM

I didn't think  she had a great voice.  It's  that simple.

mouview

I agree with a lot of this unfortunately. Maybe through no fault of her own, she was a very damaged and troubled person, who fell out with and caused a lot of strife to those immediately around her. The likes of the Late Late Show and the Sindo constantly egging her on and pandering to her views were absolutely no help either, when it was clear she would have been better served by not giving her quite the large amount of public exposure. (In one of it's more bizarre stunts the paper sent her down to interview Ian Bailey quite recently, which turned out to be a bit of a car wreck).

I wouldn't have her down as one of our greatest talents. Soprano Celine Byrne is our finest singer IMO and there are plenty that were the equal in voice to Sinead. Never really got 'Nothing compares to you' either, I thought it came across as shrill and shrieking. I did have a soft spot for the two below moreso however;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34zj4_8Qzec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej4ZlLlFmLQ

restorepride

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 27, 2023, 12:30:01 AM
Quote from: restorepride on July 27, 2023, 12:15:50 AM

I didn't think  she had a great voice.  It's  that simple.
Musically speaking, how did she not have a great voice?  Simple question.