Leitrim v Galway

Started by 45GoneShort, June 13, 2007, 04:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

May as well bump this after all the county club threads being moved.

Duine Eile

Galway beat Kerry in a challenge last week, 4-11 to 1-19. Not a bad score to run up!. I think we'll win in Carrick but we won't have it all our own way. Team expected Thursday night I think, probably won't be any changes from Mayo game, Ja maybe but apart from that nobody deserves to lose his place really. Anybody hear anything about Niall Coyne's injury?

Fair point about Paul Curran there, Mike Meehan and Sean Armstrong Galway's dangermen? Meehan is having a serious dip in form lately and Armstrong hasn't kicked a ball for Galway yet this year, spoofer of the highest degree!

paddypastit

DE,  heard that Kerry challenge was a bit of a ding dong but that Galway only started playing after the row which started after Galvin lamped somebody off the ball (what a surprise). 

Contarary to your comment below, someone who was at the game told me that Meehan was keeping Galway alive up to that. 

Agree with you re Curran though... not that he's the only one of his crew afflicetd with that.  The commentator for the Sligo Rosc game introduiced the Sligo team saying that "midfielder Tony Taylor was out of the team afetr twisting his knee in the opening game against New York"  The lad bust he knee in a club match in March and hasn't kicked a ball since - where do they get them!!
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

magpie seanie

QuoteThe commentator for the Sligo Rosc game introduiced the Sligo team saying that "midfielder Tony Taylor was out of the team afetr twisting his knee in the opening game against New York"  The lad bust he knee in a club match in March and hasn't kicked a ball since - where do they get them!!

Yeah Paddy, watched my recorded version of the Sunday Game and was hoping we'd get a bit into the coverage before a glaring blooper but there one was right at the start. RTE are just class.

myball22

Yeah maybe they could use a GAA person from Connaught to comment on these games as they should have a greater local GAA knowledge such as Anthony Tohill in Ulster.
Generally the standard of analysis from Connaught teams is quite poor but that holds for all teams as all we hear is
stereotypes such as Galway have no defence and Mayo have no forwards or they focus on the star name such as Matty Forde, Declan Browne or Eamonn O'Hara to show their knowledge of the "weaker counties".

Any word on Paul Clancy? He was playing for some soccer charity game recently so is he back from injury?

It will be interesting how Galway perform to be honest. It was easy to be motivated against Mayo but they may find Leitrim hard to
crack. That said it would be the shock of the championship so far if Leitrim were to win.

galwayman

Paul Clancy has been playing for his club since the start of the season (around mid-March).
As far as I know he's retired from county football now.
This is a big pity as he has a lot to offer Galway in the half forward line. Last year against Westmeath was not the real Clancy - he should not have been playing that day as he was not fit.

As for Sunday - Galway should win. We have better players and would expect to win against a side like Leitrim. They will undoubtedly put it up to us but it would be a big shock if we were to lose this one.
They gave us a very good game in Pearse Stadium 2 years ago where we went into a decent lead but almost got pegged back towards the end. Declan Maxwell was very impressive at full forward that day if memory serves me correctly.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on June 19, 2007, 02:08:46 PM
Declan Maxwell was very impressive at full forward that day if memory serves me correctly.

Indeed he was very impressive, the damage he did under the relentless high ball that was being pumped in to the full back line led to Finian Hanley being drafted into the Senior panel from the Under-21's the week after the Leitrim game, he started at Full Back in Galway's next match against Mayo in the Connacht Final and has been there since. Maxwell probably did us a favour long term in that game.

belleaqua

The standard of analysis is a joke for lads that are paid well enough to be properly informed. The day of the League semi final between Galway and Mayo I read Spillanes column in the Star and saw his lazy shite about Galway having no full back line. This could have been wrote around 2000/01 and maybe it could be argued was correct but i guarantee ya he wouldnt be too aware of Damien Burke and it appears the same with Hanley. Probably our most consistent line wev had the last couple of years.

The Meehan/Armstrong duo is another one they trot out from a couple years ago. Colm O' Rourke also seemed ill-informed in his newspaper column a few weeks back regarding Galway saying there were no new faces. Only Joyce and Fallon started the 98 final of the current team while Fitzy, Dec Meehan and Joe Bergin were the extras in 01.

AhFeckRef

See the leitrim team is anounced on leitrimgaa.ie. More or less as expected.

The Leitrim Senior Football team to play Galway in the Connacht Championship Semi-final on Sunday is as follows:

1 Noel Gill
2 Dermot Reynolds
3 Michael McGuinness
4 Barry McWeeney
5 Barry Prior
6 John McKeon
7 Shane Foley
8 Gary McCloskey
9 Michael Duignan
10 Colin Regan
11 Michael Foley
12 Declan Maxwell
13 Donal Brennan
14 James Glancy
15 Ciaran Duignan

pairc sean

can't really argue with that, though I would guess the defence might line out slightly differently (in a positional sense) - Mc Guinness to take M Meehan I would guess, Mc Keon at full back and B Mc Weeney at no.6.

Time will tell though

AhFeckRef

Yep. Agree there pairc sean. Disapointed that Ciaran Kennedy didn't secure a place. Thought he might have got into the half back line.

Usual forward combination. Probably will be some positional chopping and changing there too.

Redgreenery

Rooting for Leitrim at this one, best of luck lads, ye gave us (Mayo) a scare last year for sure!!! Would be odd to see a Sligo v Leitrim final for a change!! But Galway'd be favourites regardless!

When was the last time neither Galway or Mayo were playing in a final??

45GoneShort

I like the look of this team. Finally Prior has returned to defence where he is most effective. McKeon at no. 6 will be picking up Ja Fallon should give Mckeon some freedom - interestling this is McKeon usual playing position with drumreilly - he should be more of a presence here than mcweeney who will be no stranger to corner back. Interesting selection with Maxwell at Half forward can't see him staying there -  either he'll act as a third midfielder with a two man full-forward line or he will more than likely switch with Michael foley to centre forward.  Can't wait for this game - not a bit of pressure on Leitrim, as far as most outsiders would be concerned its Galway's to lose but i think this is as strong Leitrim team in years with absolutely no injuries.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteMcKeon at no. 6 will be picking up Ja Fallon should give Mckeon some freedom

He could end up picking up anyone really. Against Mayo all the Galway forwards seemed to swap positions fairly regularly. Both Joyce and Meehan spent a lot of time in the half-forward line.

45GoneShort

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 20, 2007, 07:04:41 PM
QuoteMcKeon at no. 6 will be picking up Ja Fallon should give Mckeon some freedom

He could end up picking up anyone really. Against Mayo all the Galway forwards seemed to swap positions fairly regularly. Both Joyce and Meehan spent a lot of time in the half-forward line.

If that is the case then it will be very crowded out round the  40 and midfield with leitrim possibly playing Regan in his usual third midfielder role, although i would be surprised if a team of Galways talent playing this system two games in a row - although it did work effectively against mayo - Leitrim defence would be of a better quality than mayos in my opinion, but if this were to happen then we can force Galway into shots from distance which will leave us in with a shout.