The wave against lockdown - the censored, the silenced, the ignored.

Started by From the Bunker, March 15, 2021, 11:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

I've always thought this type of movement was on the way, it is open to being hijacked by quite a few different groups....

But Ewan MacKenna?

Baile Brigín 2

If Ivan Yeats, Kevin Myers and Ewan McKenna are the intellectual powerhouse of your movement its a shit movement

armaghniac

The wave against lockdown - the mé féiners, the self important has-beens, the completely deluded  and those that like wrecking things
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Yeats is right in what he says. Some groups are affected more than others. But no country as successfully navigated Covid without lockdowns so I'd like to see what his alternative is.

J70

Quote from: trailer on March 16, 2021, 12:32:00 PM
Yeats is right in what he says. Some groups are affected more than others. But no country as successfully navigated Covid without lockdowns so I'd like to see what his alternative is.

Someone or some groups (usually bound to include the poor) are ALWAYS going to come out of it worse than others, no matter what the situation.

My wife and I have not been affected financially. I don't know what the long term effects will be on our primary school aged kids, however.

I've a sibling in the pub industry. Luckily for that person, they had a nest egg to fall back on, but its been a major financial hit for them.

No matter what side of this you're on, its a balancing act, trying to find the middle ground between the public health and the economic impacts.

My patience ends at the "its all a hoax" and "f**k you and your masks" crowd, but beyond that, its a judgement call where people's real concerns have to be respected.

dublin7

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 16, 2021, 09:08:37 AM
I've always thought this type of movement was on the way, it is open to being hijacked by quite a few different groups....

But Ewan MacKenna?

I clicked on one of Ewan's articles out of curiosity and seen his paypal link looking for donations as the mainstream media are afraid to publish his pieces. The man has lost it. As he says him himself he's a former sport journalist.

screenexile

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 16, 2021, 11:57:50 AM
If Ivan Yeats, Kevin Myers and Ewan McKenna are the intellectual powerhouse of your movement its a shit movement

That sums it up really . . . add in Jim Corr and O'Doherty and that says all you need to know!

Louther

Quote from: J70 on March 16, 2021, 12:41:42 PM
Quote from: trailer on March 16, 2021, 12:32:00 PM

Someone or some groups (usually bound to include the poor) are ALWAYS going to come out of it worse than others, no matter what the situation.

My wife and I have not been affected financially. I don't know what the long term effects will be on our primary school aged kids, however.

I've a sibling in the pub industry. Luckily for that person, they had a nest egg to fall back on, but its been a major financial hit for them.

No matter what side of this you're on, its a balancing act, trying to find the middle ground between the public health and the economic impacts.

My patience ends at the "its all a hoax" and "f**k you and your masks" crowd, but beyond that, its a judgement call where people's real concerns have to be respected.

Very sensible post. And can largely agree with it al.

I know plenty who aren't affected financially, myself included, but socially and development wise for the kids, it's been a tough time. As adults we can make the best of it and adjust but kids are different. They nearly adjust too well and become withdrawn and socially distant. The excitement of getting back to school this week was off the scale at the weekend.

There is many in self employment who have struggled financially and emotionally. I know others in same boat who have thrived and are actively looking at their future away from what they done - mainly in the pub trade, have seen quality of life improve and have more goals for their and family future. Others in same trade are despairing. Their is others who have gained by operating in black economy - hairdressers, builders, nail techs etc who are in the PUP but are working cash jobs and happy at it.

It really is a mixed bag and people on all sides of the equation and impacted in many ways. Others not so.

On your shit list, I'd add "they just want to control us" group. A mask is against their human rights apparently.

sid waddell

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 16, 2021, 11:57:50 AM
It's all about Gary Dempsey now

Ranting into your phone in a parked car in the dark is all the rage now, with the emphasis on rage

Don't know is it road rage or roid rage

Being an anti-lockdown gym owner is a very fashionable grift at the moment

Milltown Row2

Do the ministers on the big hill have announced changes in the lockdowns, was driving and not really concentrating on the finer details.

Other than Angelo and smurphy can someone put what we can do and not do?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea