What can the GAA do to resurrect an interest in Intercounty Football?

Started by From the Bunker, June 20, 2018, 07:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: Under Lights on June 21, 2018, 11:32:24 AM
Run the AI series once every four years like the WC. Just league all other years.

Agree with this. Club football the future, many of the natural imbalances co football has are balanced out

Hound

Quote from: haranguerer on June 21, 2018, 12:34:52 PM
Run the AI series once every four years like the WC. Just league all other years.

Agree with this. Club football the future, many of the natural imbalances co football has are balanced out
What about the counties where a club wins 5 or 6 or more championships in a row? Did that destroy club football for a while in those counties ?

mup

Quote from: Hound on June 21, 2018, 12:45:54 PM

What about the counties where a club wins 5 or 6 or more championships in a row? Did that destroy club football for a while in those counties ?

Are we not mentioning Dublin enough on this thread for your liking?

An attention seeking post if I ever read one.

Hound

We'll see how the Super 8 goes and what the opinions are.

You could run a championship in football in a similar format to the new hurling format, with a league first and knockout second. You could keep the provincials and knock out some of the provincial unbalance (although not all!).

For example.
Munster: 1 group of 6 teams - top 2 play in Munster final
Connacht: 1 group of 6 teams (incl London) - top 2 play in Connacht final
Leinster: 1 group of 6 teams and 1 group of 5 teams - winner of each group plays in Leinster final
Ulster: 1 group of 5 teams and 1 group of 4 teams - winner of each group plays in Ulster final (potentially consider throwing London into Ulster to even up numbers a bit more)

There'll be some proper hammerings, but Kerry, Galway and Ros have dished out hammerings this year anyway. I know nobody would want to see the Dubs hammering 5 teams, but the rule for them should be that for group games that all 5 should be away, unless the opponents wants Croke Park (i.e. a 1 team vote rather than a 12 team vote).

Top 2 in each of the 6 divisions qualify for the knockout stages as well as third in the Connacht and Munster groups. So 14 teams for the All Ireland knockout.  The group games take place over 5 consecutive weeks.

Then there's a break for the 14 AI qualifiers and there's a month where the clubs in those counties get priority.

But in this period the 18 others along with NY go into the B championship. 3 preliminary matches involving the bottom teams from the groups, leaves 16. B championship proper then played over 4 weeks in a row. As there's no A matches going on, this gets plenty of TV and media coverage, leading to the B final in Croker.

The week after the B final, that the A championship gets underway with the 14 "A" teams. Open draw apart from the provincial winners get home advantage and can't play each other or the team they beat in the provincial final. That leaves 7 teams into the quarters, where they are joined by the B champions - a real reward for the B champs. (Of course it would be tough and a lot of games, but better than no reward I think)

Super 8 would probably be a bit much? - so maybe just straight knockout from there! 

Hound

Quote from: mup on June 21, 2018, 12:53:10 PM

Don't understand why you'd say that?
It was a genuine question. There are very few Dubs posters on this board any more.

I don't really follow the club game in any other county, but St Brigids in Ros and Crossmaglen in Armagh would be 2 that come to mind that (I think) had a long enough run of successive championships. Although maybe they were both broken up with the odd other winner in their period of dominance? But did people in those counties lose interest in the county championship, poor attendances, other teams not putting in 100% preparation because it was a waste of time, etc?

general_lee

Call me a traditionalist but I'd get rid of the back door (not that it will ever happen) with a possible second bite of the cherry for beaten provincial finalists.
It's a rarity now that you experience matches of the sheer intensity and atmosphere pre-2001.

general_lee

Quote from: Hound on June 21, 2018, 01:15:55 PM
Although maybe they were both broken up with the odd other winner in their period of dominance? But did people in those counties lose interest in the county championship, poor attendances, other teams not putting in 100% preparation because it was a waste of time, etc?
Can't speak for Roscommon but yes to a certain extent the club game did suffer. It's starting to recover slightly and Cross are no shoe-ins but the aforementioned was was evident in Armagh especially in the last 5/10 years

mrdeeds

I think the imbalance is a huge issue. More funding has to go into weaker counties to provide quality coaching and try and get an interest in GAA. I remember working with a lad a few years ago who took a career break to work full time as a recruitment officer for Parnells. His job involved going into schools and coaching hurling and signing them up with club.

laoislad

Get rid of it altogether and just have hurling.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

Never gonna happen.

The super 8's is the GAA's cash cow now, and it's all about money now. There'll be no open draw in future, only champions league style c'ships, because they want to milk the big teams worth.  Meanwhile, fans are treated like shit.

I defended the gaa when people called them the Grab All Association over the years. Not any more I won't, because that's exactly what they are.

Jeepers Creepers

haranguerer

Quote from: BennyCake on June 21, 2018, 01:52:29 PM

Never gonna happen.

The super 8's is the GAA's cash cow now, and it's all about money now. There'll be no open draw in future, only champions league style c'ships, because they want to milk the big teams worth.  Meanwhile, fans are treated like shit.

I defended the gaa when people called them the Grab All Association over the years. Not any more I won't, because that's exactly what they are.

I guess the natural evolution is for the fans of the counties not making (and achieving in) the super 8's to concentrate more on club football. It potentially will be bottom up, rather than top down.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Hound on June 21, 2018, 08:57:37 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 20, 2018, 08:49:47 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on June 20, 2018, 08:18:05 PM
You haven't said what the problem is.

The sport is rubbish to watch now.
Still a lot better than it's number 1 competitor here, soccer.

World Cup has been largely mindnumbingly boring. Bar Spain-Portugal, which was great and Mexico upsetting the Germans, which was interesting.

Yesterday was typical. Three 1-0 wins for the favourites. ~Yawn inducing

Is that what you actually think is happening in Russia or what you want to be happening in Russia?

To answer the question, stop tinkering.  It's all gone to shite since back doors and assorted money making nonsense were introduced

mup

Quote from: Hound on June 21, 2018, 01:15:55 PM
Quote from: mup on June 21, 2018, 12:53:10 PM

Don't understand why you'd say that?
It was a genuine question. There are very few Dubs posters on this board any more.

I don't really follow the club game in any other county, but St Brigids in Ros and Crossmaglen in Armagh would be 2 that come to mind that (I think) had a long enough run of successive championships. Although maybe they were both broken up with the odd other winner in their period of dominance? But did people in those counties lose interest in the county championship, poor attendances, other teams not putting in 100% preparation because it was a waste of time, etc?

Sincere apologies. I picked you up completely wrong.

To answer your question I don't know. But I don't think you are comparing like with like. I don't believe The Roscommon and Armagh CB's 'favoured' the clubs in question during those periods.

BennyCake

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 21, 2018, 02:03:57 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 21, 2018, 08:57:37 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 20, 2018, 08:49:47 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on June 20, 2018, 08:18:05 PM
You haven't said what the problem is.

The sport is rubbish to watch now.
Still a lot better than it's number 1 competitor here, soccer.

World Cup has been largely mindnumbingly boring. Bar Spain-Portugal, which was great and Mexico upsetting the Germans, which was interesting.

Yesterday was typical. Three 1-0 wins for the favourites. ~Yawn inducing

Is that what you actually think is happening in Russia or what you want to be happening in Russia?

To answer the question, stop tinkering.  It's all gone to shite since back doors and assorted money making nonsense were introduced

The back doors aren't going to disappear now. The c'ship format is shite, but the gaa don't care as fans still go to matches.