'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: trileacman on April 21, 2018, 10:46:24 PM
A few fellas spouting contradictions including syferus. Not a week ago half the people in ROI were passing comment and opinion on the Ulster rugby rape trial including at least half of the TD's and senators in the Dail. The affair was broached in the Dail and very publicly covered on social media by the same public representatives. There were demonstrations in cork, Dublin, galway etc and 300 odd pages of comment on here by mostly ROI commentators. This is despite the trial being held under the laws of a different jurisdiction.

Next to no-one in the north attempted to deny the right of people south of the border to pass comment or publicly lobby for one side of the rape trial. I think it's a bit cheap to now state that harte, Cassidy or gallagher are "blatantly meddling in another country's legislative process". Where the Labour Party or solidarity blantantly meddling in another countries legal process when their representatives passed slanderous comment against the defendants in an NI rape trial?

The group shouldn't be using the GAA acronym in it's title I agree and it's not defendable but it's contradictory, cynical and myopic to think people north of the border don't have a right to support, or object, to repealing the 8th amendment.

The last I checked no one gets a vote on a criminal case but the jury. Commenting on a court case is a whole different situation to publicly campaigning to impact a imminent vote in a country you are not a resident of. You are the master of the misguided take.

trileacman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 21, 2018, 10:43:29 PM
It's a contentious enough debate without people who will be unaffected by the result campaigning either way.

By extension medical professionals from the UK should be barred from passing comment on the amendment as they will be unaffected by the result.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Orchard park

I think Mickey  is losingb the run of  himself and his intrusion into the debate abusing the GAA  name....

We had one extremist northern religious extremist in Dana already and it turned neutrals off, Hartes opinion won't be rated by most, and won't be appreciated by most GAA people who see the  GAA name being brought into disrepute ....

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on April 21, 2018, 10:53:18 PM
It's a moral issue. One of perceived right and wrong.
Voting Jurisdiction has nothing to do with it. Much like being from Ireland and campaigning about Israel's treatment of Palestine. Furthermore, we live on the same (small) island. Mickey Harte lives closer to Monaghan than he does Ballycastle. I don't see how the border has any impact on the moral views of anyone in Ireland, unless it suits them to.

If you have a vote you're perfectly entitled to campaign. If you don't, the difference is very clear. If this was something like Enda Kenny endorsing a Unionist candidate in the north I can only imagine the uproar here. Ireland is a different country to the north as it stands and only those resident in Ireland will be voting to decide this referendum.

Some people seem to want to have a say but not share in the responsibility of the result or its impact on the nation. That's frankly egotistical on the part of people like Micky Harte.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: trileacman on April 21, 2018, 10:52:46 PM
It's a contentious enough debate without people who will be unaffected by the result campaigning either way.

By extension medical professionals from the UK should be barred from passing comment on the amendment as they will be unaffected by the result.
Have they all come together under a similar type of campaign trying to influence the vote either way? If so then they absolutely should be barred from doing that.

Voting Jurisdiction has nothing to do with it. Much like being from Ireland and campaigning about Israel's treatment of Palestine.Furthermore, we live on the same (small) island. Mickey Harte lives closer to Monaghan than he does Ballycastle. I don't see how the border has any impact on the moral views of anyone in Ireland, unless it suits them to.

Absolute nonsense comparison. It's nothing like that at all.

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on April 21, 2018, 11:04:41 PM
Just like the #ibelieveher campaigns in Dublin about a Belfast rape trial....

Yeah. Rape culture doesn't exsist in Ireland so they definitely weren't commenting on the larger issue that effects everyone. And I must have missed the public vote they had on the verdict because I really should have voted.

I hope you're being disingenuous because it's pretty hard not to see the huge difference between the two situations.

Jinxy

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/284050

'The launch takes place at 2pm in the Ballyfermot Sports and Fitness Centre where the GAA stars will campaign for a 'No' vote in the upcoming referendum on the Eighth Amendment.

The GAA stars will conduct a skills training session for local children from 2-3pm, followed by a press availability and the reading out of an official statement thereafter.'

Who in their right mind is going to supply their kids for this photo op?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

For fcuk sake..... why drag children into it as well as the GAA.

0 out of 10 folks and ye're doing ye're cause no favours.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

nrico2006

Was there not similar backing of the gay marriage vote by GAA bodies/players? GPA were definitely involved
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: hardstation on April 21, 2018, 11:10:37 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 21, 2018, 11:03:42 PM

Have they all come together under a similar type of campaign trying to influence the vote either way? If so then they absolutely should be barred from doing that.

Voting Jurisdiction has nothing to do with it. Much like being from Ireland and campaigning about Israel's treatment of Palestine.Furthermore, we live on the same (small) island. Mickey Harte lives closer to Monaghan than he does Ballycastle. I don't see how the border has any impact on the moral views of anyone in Ireland, unless it suits them to.

Explain. You aren't from there. It has no impact on your life.

Ah here, really? There's nothing to be gained from further interaction on this subject by the looks of it.

Jinxy

Back in 2015, David Gough was going to wear a rainbow wristband with the GAA's blessing while reffing a game in Croke Park.
However, they then changed their mind and said he couldn't wear it.
My recollection of the incident was there was no issue with him wearing the wristband when it was considered an anti-homophobia gesture, however he then made comments about the same-sex marriage referendum, which then gave the impression it was a political gesture.
Once something becomes political, the association needs to keep well clear.
I think the GPA supported a 'Yes' vote, but they only represent inter-county players (who I presume were consulted in advance) and as such have nothing to do with you or I.
Big difference between a players representative body and the actual association.

Jinxy

https://twitter.com/BallyfermotDLS/status/987732535533867008

Fair play to them.
Croke Park needs to get out in front of this, and fast.
There are plenty of people in this country with little or no interest in sport who will not understand the distinction between the position of this small group staging a photo op in a sports centre and position of the wider association.

macdanger2

Voting Jurisdiction has nothing to do with it. Much like being from Ireland and campaigning about Israel's treatment of Palestine. Furthermore, we live on the same (small) island. Mickey Harte lives closer to Monaghan than he does Ballycastle. I don't see how the border has any impact on the moral views of anyone in Ireland, unless it suits them to.

Agree 100%.

Also agree that these campaigners should keep the GAA out of the title of their campaign

Rossfan

Exactly Jinxy.
Let them tear away as individuals , albeit well known ones due to GAA involvement which might influence some.
And Micky H is as much entitled to promote one side as is E Magee the other.
Magee can vote though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: hardstation on April 21, 2018, 11:46:55 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 21, 2018, 11:37:03 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 21, 2018, 11:10:37 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 21, 2018, 11:03:42 PM

Explain. You aren't from there. It has no impact on your life.

Ah here, really? There's nothing to be gained from further interaction on this subject by the looks of it.
Because you can't.
No I don't have the interest to engage further, you're just flat out wrong in my opinion.