Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: northsideboy on May 20, 2018, 09:59:16 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 20, 2018, 09:45:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 20, 2018, 09:20:21 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 20, 2018, 09:04:25 PM
I'd be surprised if the double header in Tullamore between Kildare vs Carlow and Laois vs Westmeath will break the 6000 mark
Good jaysus! !! Over half a million people live in those 4 Counties!!!

Welcome to the future.

There is very little interest in the county game in Kildare. The Seanie Johnson debacle was quite dividing and the the financial doping of Dublin is very obvious the closer you are & the media's negative narrative around Leinster football is self-fulfilling.

On the plus side I was coaching u7 boys at a 3 club blitz Sat and there was over a 100 pure u7s i.e no u6s. It's just a pity the GAA have killed their dreams before they even knew they had them .

Meh, you lost me at the tiresome financial doping crap. Kildare (and Meath too) given their proud football heritage and population should be doing so much better than they are currently doing at senior level. I've seen enough talented footballers from Kildare at underage level in recent years to see that your own structures are not producing and that is not Dublin's fault. For example how many times larger than Monaghan is Kildare's current population and look at Monaghan's recent league and championship record. Get your own house in order before you pollute discussions here with snide, bitter comments from the mind of the Brazilian lemon.

#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

It's become a strange world too though. There was this **** at the game today that every time Monaghan or Tyrone would pass laterally or backwards or slowed down the play, he would loudly proclaim "ah nah not this again, I'm sick of this type of football, I don't want to see this, I thought I'd seen the end of this last year, wasn't I naive"  etc etc. Several of is included the vicinity from monanghan and Tyrone opined to each other that he was entitled to f**k off and leave us to watch the match in peace.

It was truly bizarre, to the point I wondered had he come to the match and paid in just for the opportunity to publicly decry the state of football and affirm to the masses his disdain for the current tactics in the game. It was like his Twitter account was closed and he had to shout his worthless opinions out on the terraces to fill the void.

I hate the Sunday game bullshit so I rarely watch it. I dislike Joe brolly so I usually make no concerted effort to read his column. I dislike rugby league and Katie Hopkins and Ed Sheerin so I avoid any involvement with those things. But there's a whole world of people out there, mostly on social media, who take it as a personal crusade to find reasons to be offended on a daily basis.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: trileacman on May 20, 2018, 11:16:38 PM
It's become a strange world too though. There was this **** at the game today that every time Monaghan or Tyrone would pass laterally or backwards or slowed down the play, he would loudly proclaim "ah nah not this again, I'm sick of this type of football, I don't want to see this, I thought I'd seen the end of this last year, wasn't I naive"  etc etc. Several of is included the vicinity from monanghan and Tyrone opined to each other that he was entitled to f**k off and leave us to watch the match in peace.

It was truly bizarre, to the point I wondered had he come to the match and paid in just for the opportunity to publicly decry the state of football and affirm to the masses his disdain for the current tactics in the game. It was like his Twitter account was closed and he had to shout his worthless opinions out on the terraces to fill the void.

I hate the Sunday game bullshit so I rarely watch it. I dislike Joe brolly so I usually make no concerted effort to read his column. I dislike rugby league and Katie Hopkins and Ed Sheerin so I avoid any involvement with those things. But there's a whole world of people out there, mostly on social media, who take it as a personal crusade to find reasons to be offended on a daily basis.

Sadly he wasnt on his own in Omagh.
I honestly think some people prefer it when its a poor game, just so they can give out about it. Yesterday was a very good game IMO , yet i still heard loads of complaining about the 'style' of football.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

To be fair, it is an acquired taste. The sight of 9 or 10 lads facing each other around the 65 metre line is a bit depressing looking, especially when they recycle possession by going backwards, even to the goalkeeper a good bit of the time. There's not much cut and thrust to it as they probe, trying to set up the launch point for the man coming at speed.

Still, it's not rubbish, it's just different. It's rubbish when it's done badly, but it's hard to complain about it when you have a scoreline like yesterday, there was obviously a lot of decent attacking going on. It's just a bit 'slow-slow-quick-quick-slow' for some people.

Rossfan

8,265 in Carrick.
3,339 in Thurles (football).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Healthy enough attendance in Tullamore today, I'm not sure what it was officially but it looked like around 5 or 6 thousand. 50/50 but Carlow will travel in bigger numbers the next day.

Rossfan

5,172 Carlow v Kildare
5,591 Longford v Meath.
Ten years ago you'd have had 15k at each of them.
Over 500k pop in the 4 Counties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Rossfan on May 27, 2018, 09:38:33 PM
5,172 Carlow v Kildare
5,591 Longford v Meath.
Ten years ago you'd have had 15k at each of them.
Over 500k pop in the 4 Counties.

Rugby country now
https://www.kildarenow.com/sport/leinster-rugby-run-exciting-summer-camp-north-kildare-summer/227117

Cunny Funt

A little over 5,000 for a championship game is not what i would describe as a healthy enough attendance.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I was expecting less from Kildare to be honest, it will be less for the qualifier no doubt.

From the Bunker

The three home games for Dublin in the Super 8 will help skew the attendance figures at the end of the year!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 20, 2018, 10:18:00 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 20, 2018, 10:01:32 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 20, 2018, 09:53:17 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 20, 2018, 09:45:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 20, 2018, 09:20:21 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 20, 2018, 09:04:25 PM
I'd be surprised if the double header in Tullamore between Kildare vs Carlow and Laois vs Westmeath will break the 6000 mark
Good jaysus! !! Over half a million people live in those 4 Counties!!!

Welcome to the future.

There is very little interest in the county game in Kildare. The Seanie Johnson debacle was quite dividing and the the financial doping of Dublin is very obvious the closer you are & the media's negative narrative around Leinster football is self-fulfilling.

On the plus side I was coaching u7 boys at a 3 club blitz Sat and there was over a 100 pure u7s i.e no u6s. It's just a pity the GAA have killed their dreams before they even knew they had them .

That's the important thing - Youngsters playing! Sure you look at most counties and the intercounty appeal is low!

It's awful to see Kildare support dwindling though. They always had a good fan base, even when they weren't winning.

These things happen with lack of success, or loss of hope. A problem that is only around the corner with Mayo football. Gaelic Football is dying as a spectacle.  Many people I know only watch the last ten minutes of games that are on the TV, where there is a lot of tension in a low scoring blanket defence game. RTE look to have abandoned covering games.
It's all about money, or rather the lack of it.
HQ is afraid that the fee they get from RTE when a game is televised won't make up for the loss of revenue from ticket sales. Crap football and exorbitant ticket prices mean that many people are put off going to a game and watch it on TV instead.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

There is a trend starting if you take the Mayo v galway game out of it, football attendances are on a downward spiral . Worse still Dublin will probably win this year at a canter which doesn't bode well for attendances next year either . There used to be an aul high stool yap that the GAA needs Dublin to be winning all Irelands,  it's swung the other way me thinks.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: larryin89 on May 28, 2018, 06:12:46 AM
There is a trend starting if you take the Mayo v galway game out of it, football attendances are on a downward spiral . Worse still Dublin will probably win this year at a canter which doesn't bode well for attendances next year either . There used to be an aul high stool yap that the GAA needs Dublin to be winning all Irelands,  it's swung the other way me thinks.

Wouldn't matter who won if you charge 30 quid in and the football is putrid.
i usse an speelchekor

tippabu

What was in portlaoise? 12k?