Quote from: macdanger2 on November 22, 2017, 02:42:43 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on November 22, 2017, 01:39:03 PM
7steps
2 refs
1 timeclock
1tmo
4 hand pass max before kicking
0 Mickey Harte style of play

Also don't allow the ball back to your own half when in opponents half.

Keep the mark from kick outs and introduce a 40 yard line that kick outs must pass.

Maybe 2 points for shots outside the 50..

Wouldn't have a problem with most of those but the one in bold would be a disaster, teams would just fall back to the halfway line to defend; if you carry it over, you'd get swarmed, if you kick it, they'd have plenty of men back

Works well in basketball

bannside

After 133 years we still find the need to peddle about with rules and formats. Crazy situation really - my neighbour who is sports mad has a great laugh about it every year. Never missed the wall. Waits till there is a big audience and asks me "Well what are the 10 proposed rule changes THIS year in your sport?"

Rossfan

Let's go back to 21 aside and point posts to keep another Ulster luddite  happy.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Captain Obvious

Quote from: bannside on November 22, 2017, 07:14:56 PM
After 133 years we still find the need to peddle about with rules and formats. Crazy situation really - my neighbour who is sports mad has a great laugh about it every year. Never missed the wall. Waits till there is a big audience and asks me "Well what are the 10 proposed rule changes THIS year in your sport?"
Crazy indeed, I don't know another team sport that changes its rules and formats as much as GAA do.

Eamonnca1

rrhf

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 22, 2017, 04:40:13 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 22, 2017, 03:03:09 PM
One solo.

No, soloing is a great skill. Whatever about having a hand pass count, leave soloing alone.
All the overcarrying comes from the solo run though - especially if you run very fast.
I'm in favour of keeping it but enforce the steps.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

sligoman2

There is a goood reason  why we need to review and change the rules imo.  The game is constantly evolving and unlike some other sports allows quite a lot of freedom and subjectivity, which is part of what makes the sport in general enjoyable to watch.  Just compared to soccer for example, you can
A) catch the ball
B) no offsides
C). Shoulder an opponent
D) score direct from all free kicks
E) score 20 times a game rather than one or two.
Etc..
With the evolution of the game and the focus on sports science etc, people are always looking for an edge and unfortunately some of the research has resulted in a style that may be effective, but significantly reduces the entertainment value, e.g blanket defends aka puke football.
If you are not willing to change you will get left behind quickly.

I see the need for change as a good thing not something to be ashamed of. 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 22, 2017, 08:41:59 PM
Crazy indeed, I don't know another team sport that changes its rules and formats as much as GAA do.

Neither you nor his neighbour really gets it, then.

AQMP

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 22, 2017, 09:01:00 PM
Gridiron football is always chopping and changing its rules almost on an annual basis.

The egg chasers here are always tinkering with the rules.

vallankumous

Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2017, 10:54:34 AM

All the overcarrying comes from the solo run though - especially if you run very fast.

I think the steps rule is enforced as well as it can be. I think if it is to be forced to the letter then it should be increased to 6 steps or tinkered with to allow players to stay on the ball in certain cases.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: vallankumous on November 23, 2017, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2017, 10:54:34 AM

I think the steps rule is enforced as well as it can be. I think if it is to be forced to the letter then it should be increased to 6 steps or tinkered with to allow players to stay on the ball in certain cases.
I think time should be used instead of number steps. Refs aren't looking at every stride a player is taking and counting them. They are just estimating. This is why I think certain players can get away with more. Time is easier to measure.