Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Hound

Quote from: mup on May 18, 2018, 12:27:16 PM

As Dinny alluded to above it's a no win situation. Most CB's outside Dublin are struggling for cash at the moment. What do you expect them to do?

To suggest that its is as simple as a vote iS unfair on each of the CB'S.

It's not fair or unfair, it is what it is.

Dublin played all their Leinster games in Croker for a number of years (I haven't checked, but it might have been of the order of 10 years in a row). The reasoning for the Leinster Council for fixing all Dublin games in Croker was to maximise the amount of Dubs who would attend which would maximise the gate receipts that get distributed to the Leinster Council.

So then the complaints came about that it was unfair that Dublin got all their games in Croker. Now those complaints came more from outside than inside Leinster, but in any event there was a vote as to whether the Leinster Council would move a game outside Croker.

The choice was simple, move the Dubs outside Croke Park and thus reduce gate receipts and arguably give the opposition a better chance. As mentioned one county voted to move Dublin, so that year Dublin didn't move. That got bad press and the Leinster Council decided to back down and move the Dubs the following year.

Now we are into Year 3, and probably the worst possible outcome as they've fixed neutral games each year rather than home games for Dublin's opponents. So they've reduced gate receipts without increasing the chances of an upset!

While you can argue it's excusable to not move the Dubs because counties are struggling for money, there is no excuse once you have decided to move them for not putting Dublin into actual away games rather than neutral venues. The extra loss re smaller home venue versus medium sized neutral venue would be feck all.

Hound

Quote from: Rossfan on May 19, 2018, 11:40:07 PM
Here ye go folks
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-reign-supreme-but-where-does-your-county-rank-on-the-2018-gaa-rich-list-36922874.html

"Last autumn a prominent Dublin GAA club organised a golf classic with a little bit of a difference from the standard event many other clubs run to raise the funds. The entry fee for a team of four was €6,000. They got 30 teams."

You'd wonder why they didn't name the club? The Indo would hardly exaggerate.
My own club's golf classic was €60 a head, with a tenner discount if you were a member of the golf club!

A lad from Judes (who wasn't involved in any way with the refurb other than giving a donation, but this what he'd heard) told me that a benefactor told Judes he'd give them an interest free loan equal to the amount they could raise from members' donations for the refurbishment. The loan is repayable, but over a long period, and obviously without any interest.

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on May 20, 2018, 06:22:19 PM
Here ye go folks
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-reign-supreme-but-where-does-your-county-rank-on-the-2018-gaa-rich-list-36922874.html

"Last autumn a prominent Dublin GAA club organised a golf classic with a little bit of a difference from the standard event many other clubs run to raise the funds. The entry fee for a team of four was €6,000. They got 30 teams."

My own club's golf classic was €60 a head, with a tenner discount if you were a member of the golf club!

A lad from Judes (who wasn't involved in any way with the refurb other than giving a donation, but this what he'd heard) told me that a benefactor told Judes he'd give them an interest free loan equal to the amount they could raise from members' donations for the refurbishment. The loan is repayable, but over a long period, and obviously without any interest.

You're incredibly quick to be defensive and deflective over everything in Dublin GAA. It's only in recent years I've noticed how wilfully in the sand Dublin GAA supporters are. They want their pound of flesh no matter the cost and they'll ignore the means for as long as HQ allows them to.

Jinxy

Here ye go folks

I remember hearing about the race nights (or race days) Kilmacud Crokes would have where they would absolutely rake in cash.
Might just have been rumours but given the size of the club, and how well-connected they would be it stands to reason they would find it easier than most to raise serious money.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TheGreatest

Going after the club game now are we, you will find that the 3 or 4 big south side clubs would have a lot of money, there are many many many struggling clubs in Dublin that don't have facilities or finances,  For example were the Dubs train sometimes in Innis fails in Kinsealy, the facilities are very basic.

I have seen some wonderful club house and facilities around the country that better clubs in Dublin.

What Judes did was get a room an renovate it to put in a few chairs and a tv and make it look nice. I wouldn't imagine it to be at a huge cost.

nitpicking

Owenmoresider

Quote from: TheGreatest on May 21, 2018, 08:30:22 AM
Going after the club game now are we, you will find that the 3 or 4 big south side clubs would have a lot of money, there are many many many struggling clubs in Dublin that don't have facilities or finances,  For example were the Dubs train sometimes in Innis fails in Kinsealy, the facilities are very basic.

I have seen some wonderful club house and facilities around the country that better clubs in Dublin.

What Judes did was get a room an renovate it to put in a few chairs and a tv and make it look nice. I wouldn't imagine it to be at a huge cost.

nitpicking
FFS, it's like a small scale college lecture theatre, hardly just "a few chairs".

TheGreatest

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 21, 2018, 08:39:32 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on May 21, 2018, 08:30:22 AM

nitpicking
FFS, it's like a small scale college lecture theatre, hardly just "a few chairs".

Disagree. Perhaps they got in house carpenters, donations etc. Its not a big deal and people making it out to be because they are in Dublin. The wingers from the country.

Hound

Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2018, 07:42:47 PM
Here ye go folks

You're incredibly quick to be defensive and deflective over everything in Dublin GAA. It's only in recent years I've noticed how wilfully in the sand Dublin GAA supporters are. They want their pound of flesh no matter the cost and they'll ignore the means for as long as HQ allows them to.

Typical of your garbage, having a go without actually addressing any points in the post you quote. I made a comment about an Indo report about a golf outing and the Jude's refurbishments. Then you come up with your nonsense post which addresses nothing apart from having a go at a poster!

mup

I don't have a problem with any fundraising - be it Dublin GAA or Dublin GAA clubs. More power to them I say.

What I do have a problem with is the amount of GAA/Government grants they are getting. And the preferential treatment shown to them by the Leinster Council. That needs to be addressed.

Jinxy

Exactly, there should be means-testing.
The current financial support for Dublin is the equivalent of the woman living on Ailesbury Road heading down to the post-office to collect the children's allowance.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TheGreatest

I am in also in favour of more equal wealth distribution. How to fix this issue is at your individual county board levels which you gain contact though your club pros. Leinster council and Croke park need to be lobbied.

How did Antrim get their recent funding plan approved?

mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on May 21, 2018, 12:11:48 PM
I am in also in favour of more equal wealth distribution. How to fix this issue is at your individual county board levels which you gain contact though your club pros. Leinster council and Croke park need to be lobbied.

Rather flippant.

We should be lobbying our Club Pro's to ask the Leinster Council not to show preferential treatment to Dublin?

I do despair sometimes.

TheGreatest

Quote from: mup on May 21, 2018, 12:34:51 PM

Rather flippant.

We should be lobbying our Club Pro's to ask the Leinster Council not to show preferential treatment to Dublin?

I do despair sometimes.

How would you go about it if its not going to change automatically?

lobby club Pro's or post on GAA forum.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: TheGreatest on May 21, 2018, 12:52:37 PM
Quote from: mup on May 21, 2018, 12:34:51 PM

Rather flippant.

I do despair sometimes.

How would you go about it if its not going to change automatically?

lobby club Pro's or post on GAA forum.

You think Dublin GAA got their funding by lobbying club PROs  ::)
#newbridgeornowhere