GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/sky-in-talks-for-gaa-tv-deal-30130109.html

Seems they are doing a deal for some of the championship games.

I'm really hoping that this is part of the strategy to grow the game beyond the shores of Ireland and not just a new way of fleecing the existing viewing public.

The extra exposure will be good but I'll be dead before I ever pay for sky sports.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

J OGorman

Quote from: thejuice on March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/sky-in-talks-for-gaa-tv-deal-30130109.html

Seems they are doing a deal for some of the championship games.

I'm really hoping that this is part of the strategy to grow the game beyond the shores of Ireland and not just a new way of fleecing the existing viewing public.

The extra exposure will be good but I'll be dead before I ever pay for sky sports.

+ 1.

DJGaliv

What's the reasoning behind this? So some of the fixtures will now be behind a paywall. An amateur organisation is not paying its players but is selling it's rights to the highest bidder and restricting it's viewership.

Some people in GAA HQ have lost the run of themselves. Totally money mad. Making €5 million from concerts this year, and did I not read that Croker is now debt free?

Zulu

Just because we don't pay players doesn't mean we don't need money. If nothing else it's a shot across the bows of the awful RTE so it might shake them up a bit.

orangeman

Whilst I can understand that people will be annoyed at this development, don't forget that when Setanta came along, there was a row about that. Sky might be very good for GAA development in the long term and they might be what is needed in the minds of the top brass to take Gaelic games to the next level.

The GAA head men know that there'll be a few column inches of condemnation written, a few moans and groans and a few pages written on Gaaboard, Boards.ie etc etc but that it will blow over and at the end of it, the GAA will get a few more million a year and the president will go round and tell us at dinner dances and meetings how important and invaluable the grass roots are.

And they'll work away at the next commercial deal.

That's the way of the world. The real power lies with the lads in Croke Park. If your opinion was required, you'd have been asked for it.

Get over it.

Zulu

When the grassroots are asked for their opinion they don't bother their ass (see FRC) but they'll sure as hell complain about whatever you do decide to do.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on March 28, 2014, 10:12:52 AM
When the grassroots are asked for their opinion they don't bother their ass (see FRC) but they'll sure as hell complain about whatever you do decide to do.

Forget about the grass roots then.

How many committees, county committees, provincial committees etc were consulted on this ?

stibhan

They have completely fucked over Setanta here.

But anyway, it's a sad indictment of how the GAA is now being incorporated, and in my opinion could be seen in 10-15 years time as one of the now many steps on the road to professionalism.

orangeman

Quote from: stibhan on March 28, 2014, 10:19:16 AM

But anyway, it's a sad indictment of how the GAA is now being incorporated, and in my opinion could be seen in 10-15 years time as one of the now many steps on the road to professionalism.

I honestly can't see GAA going professional. Maybe semi pros but not full time.

Zulu

Quote from: orangeman on March 28, 2014, 10:16:53 AM

How many committees, county committees, provincial committees etc were consulted on this ?

How many need to be and what the hell would most of them know about TV rights anyway? Besides the more people you bring into the consultation process the less likely you are to get an agreed plan. The GAA are going about this exactly as they should be with a small knowledgeable group.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stibhan on March 28, 2014, 10:19:16 AM

How do you know they've fucked Setanta over? I'm sure Setanta have the right to bid as well. If they get out bid, then it's hardly surprising if the GAA go with the highest bidder?

My 'professionalism' radar is usually on high Do, as the likes of Zulu will confirm, but all I see here is the potential to have our games in millions of homes across the UK. That in itself is a good thing I think. Remember as our season is in full swing, the only thing the Brits have to watch is fecking cricket.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on March 28, 2014, 10:26:30 AM
Quote from: orangeman on March 28, 2014, 10:16:53 AM

How many need to be and what the hell would most of them know about TV rights anyway? Besides the more people you bring into the consultation process the less likely you are to get an agreed plan. The GAA are going about this exactly as they should be with a small knowledgeable group.

I wouldn't argue with you on that point.

But who appointed this group and what was the agenda and what debate was there around this ?

Or is there this wee group of smart lads who just decide to do whatever they feel is "right" for the rest of us ?

And what else are they doing that we don't know about ?

orangeman

How many "customers" do Sky have in Ireland at the minute ?

One thing for sure, it'll be great for Irish men and women all over the world who struggle with getting to see games on TV presently.

AZOffaly

I wouldn't be surprised if Irish Sky customers won't be able to see these games on Sky. I'd imagine a similar arrangement to the Europa Leagues on Setanta and BT.  I expect an Irish broadcast rights agreement, probably with RTE and TV3 or Setanta, and a European rights agreements with BSkyB or BT/ESPN.

I think the same thing actually happens in the summer on Setanta as it is? Premiersports or one of them companies broadcast the games on the Setanta Channel on the Sky EPG, but as they are on RTE, you get the message that the programme is unavailable in Ireland.