Getting Less Young

Started by thejuice, December 14, 2010, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

What gets my goat is, looking around now at my contemporaries and the ones that are still playing, or are in running clubs, triathlon

clubs etc., are the ones that were mediocre at best at age 17/18 - they had the head stuck in the books, were shite at sports and

have now found it in their thirties - no broken limbs, limps, disfigurements. No injuries, because they couldn't get a game.

Meanwhile all the stars are F***ed - there is no justice.

Eight of the Down 1994 team have had to have hernia operations - literally busted a gut.

Not Fair.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

INDIANA

Quote from: thejuice on December 14, 2010, 12:58:42 PM
It would seem I'm starting to enter the twilight of my playing career and much sooner and more sudden than I thought. I'm only 28 but this club season was a hell of a lot tougher going on me than the last. I used to be a reliable half-back and could keep up with even the younger lads as well being able to burst a bigger lad if need be without coming of the worst too often to make it a bad idea.

However now the knees are starting to stiffen and the nimbleness of foot seems to be absent. Every morning after a game it's like fire has been lit in my legs and when going from lying/sitting to standing my joints are starting to sound like a bowl of rice crispies. What's also started to happen is they have begun to move me around the field after too many skinning sessions from flightier opponents.

I accepted that it was going to happen soon enough but not at the spritely age of 28 and not so suddenly. To those of you who have been through this what's the best thing to do to prolong the playing career, start asking for a spot in the forwards? I'd probably need to put on a belly before they do that. They've put me in midfield for my height so I don't have to do as much running but even that is taking its toll.

But there's still plenty of football in me, I'm not ready for the glue factory just yet.

Stop bleeding whingeing ;D

Listen have a few kids. You'll never do as much training as when you have kids. Take it from me. ;D

the Deel Rover

It would seem I'm starting to enter the twilight of my playing career and much sooner and more sudden than I thought. I'm only 28 but this club season was a hell of a lot tougher going on me than the last. I used to be a reliable half-back and could keep up with even the younger lads as well being able to burst a bigger lad if need be without coming of the worst too often to make it a bad idea.
However now the knees are starting to stiffen and the nimbleness of foot seems to be absent. Every morning after a game it's like fire has been lit in my legs and when going from lying/sitting to standing my joints are starting to sound like a bowl of rice crispies. What's also started to happen is they have begun to move me around the field after too many skinning sessions from flightier opponents.

I accepted that it was going to happen soon enough but not at the spritely age of 28 and not so suddenly. To those of you who have been through this what's the best thing to do to prolong the playing career, start asking for a spot in the forwards? I'd probably need to put on a belly before they do that. They've put me in midfield for my height so I don't have to do as much running but even that is taking its toll.

But there's still plenty of football in me, I'm not ready for the glue factory just yet.

don't be worried juice the football lifespan of a burster is way longer than that of a speedster, i'd say you could play well into your 50's and even longer . Bursters can play anywhere from Goalie to Fullforward  and are a dying breed. When you start loosing whatever speed you have left go in to goal and continue bursting for as long as you can  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

johnpower

Quote from: the Deel Rover on December 18, 2010, 01:58:36 PM

don't be worried juice the football lifespan of a burster is way longer than that of a speedster, i'd say you could play well into your 50's and even longer . Bursters can play anywhere from Goalie to Fullforward  and are a dying breed. When you start loosing whatever speed you have left go in to goal and continue bursting for as long as you can  ;)

ONeill

Abstain from alcohol, fast food, sweets and sex for a year. Drink a 2 litres of water a day. Get seven hours sleep every night. Stretch. Walk every day. Abandon your car regularly. Aim to lose 2 stone. Shave off as much body hair as possible. Give it a go.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

johnpower

Quote from: ONeill on December 18, 2010, 11:49:12 PM
Abstain from alcohol, fast food, sweets and sex for a year. Drink a 2 litres of water a day. Get seven hours sleep every night. Stretch. Walk every day. Abandon your car regularly. Aim to lose 2 stone. Shave off as much body hair as possible. Give it a go.

God thats harsh . Can I wait until the new year to start ?

johnpower

tyssam5

Torn calf muscle, WTF is that about.  >:(