Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

Utd do not have the money to sign Villa or Torres or Fabregas. However what Utd need now is a decent back up to Rooney for when he is injured/ needs a rest. A superstar striker does not fit that bill. Chelseas advantage over utd this season (IMO) was the fact that Anelka was able to replace Drogba when he was missing and didnt mind playing second fiddle when Drogba was there. Berba is happy to play second fiddle but unfortunatly cannot step up to the lead role when required. If Benzema can be got on the cheap because he is unsettled at Real ( around £20 mill ) then go for it otherwise a good central midfielder please. Fabregas would be great but Utd simply cannot afford him. Thats life get over it. The two teams in the champions league final cannot afford £40 million players either. There is more to football than money as Man City proved yet again this year. And by the way Utd lost the league by a point and went out of the champions league on away goals to one of the finalists. The margins are narrow at the top and but for Rafaels red card Utd would be preparing for a third champions league final in a row.

ross4life

Mame Diouf wasn't officially a united player untill January he's the guy your missing AFS, Gallsman i never said Villa was finished i questioned how many years? not all strikers are like Drogba better with age  ::)

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AFS

Quote from: ross4life on May 19, 2010, 09:52:50 PM
Mame Diouf wasn't officially a united player untill January he's the guy your missing AFS, Gallsman i never said Villa was finished i questioned how many years? not all strikers are like Drogba better with age  ::)

:( I was hoping I'd somehow forgotten that they'd signed Silva or something.

ross4life

IMO the one player Fergie will sign is a creative midfielder! i wonder how many of those are available at the right price now?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

magpie seanie

I wouldn't place much value on what Fergie says about transfers. He has regularly contradicted himself with his actions in past seasons so I take it with a pinch of salt. Hopefully someone makes a bid for Berbatov and Carrick so they'd have to be replaced at the very least.

Is anyone else worried that 12M on Smalling was a bit tasty? Hasn't looked that great to me the few times I've seen him.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 19, 2010, 11:59:44 PM
I wouldn't place much value on what Fergie says about transfers. He has regularly contradicted himself with his actions in past seasons so I take it with a pinch of salt. Hopefully someone makes a bid for Berbatov and Carrick so they'd have to be replaced at the very least.

Is anyone else worried that 12M on Smalling was a bit tasty? Hasn't looked that great to me the few times I've seen him.

Smalling was excellent against Chelsea in one his first games, but he has a looked a lot more hesitant since. To be fair he was in and out of the team, and still has things to learn. I do agree the £12 seemed a bit much for someone so unproven.

The lad for Blackburn looks a much better player to be honest, even though I can't remember his name. Confident and uncompromising. If he maintains the ability he'll captain a decent side, if not more, for years to come.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

AFS

Blackburn lad is Jones.

Was Smalling definitely £12M? Maybe £12M if all the add ons are paid out, but I can't imagine that much was given up front.

ross4life

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 19, 2010, 11:59:44 PM

I doubt it's £12million up front - more likely about £5m now and the rest depending on appearances and success. Like most of United's recent buys of youngsters, such as Nani and Anderson

EC Unique

Is Fullback no longer with us? Mods could you please sort out the thread title?

NAG1

Think Fergie is at his work here, I think he knows that with serious pressure coming from Villa City and Spurs this is no time to be resting on his laurels. He knows that they are at least one top quaiity striker short and that is with Berba staying at the club. The rest of the positions areguements could be made for having cover, dont forget Brown OShea and Hargreaves to come back into the mix hopefully next season.

On the wish list would be a top quality striker and some mid field creativity and I think fergie may be playing a game to get this done.

Goats Do Shave

I'd like to see some of the younger players get more football also. Considering UTD have had about a dozen or so players out on loan... the likes of Tom Cleverly could make a return to the 1st team squad & make an impact.

Obviously he's not going to be in the same league as a Ribery, but there's a certain amount of satisfaction when a player breaks through to make an impact. Could he be the next Beckham?

DownFanatic

Benzema would be the ticket. Fergie has always had a liking for him. The turnover of players at Real is constant and I feel they would let him go at a a handy enough price.

NAG1

Norf Tyrone

Scary sums.... for all clubs.

Re the last bit and TV cash. For the record, SKY and MOTD reported best ever viewing figures for a Premiership season this year. I credit that to Chelsea's exciting football.  ;)
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Bensars

Or to people not going to pubs on a saturday night