Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Team for Sunday

LAOIS TEAM IN FULL:

1. Eoin Fleming (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
2. Lee Cleere (Clough Ballacolla)
3. Leigh Bergin (Shanahoe)
4. Dwane Palmer (Camross)
5. Cahir Healy (Portlaoise)
6. Ryan Mullaney (Castletown)
7. Sean Downey (Ballinakill)
8. Ross King (Rathdowney Errill)
9. Patrick Purcell (Rathdowney Errill)
10. Cian Taylor (Portlaoise)
11. Charles Dwyer (Ballinakill)
12. Ben Conroy (Slieve Bloom)
13. Willie Dunphy (Clough Ballacolla)
14. Neil Foyle (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
15. Aaron Dunphy (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)

At the end of the day we have our limitations but the lads will still give it everything. There are some really good, young hurlers there and every game gives them more experience. They might as well go for it tomorrow and who knows. Maybe Wexfords second string are not so hot (that's if Fitzy rests lads)
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

CluainABU

Agreed @redsetanta - we have a crop of good young hurlers, which through 1 reason or another are getting great experience. It's not easy to take those heavy defeats, but they've mainly come through intermittent periods in games where we have shipped a good few scores. On the flip side, there have been periods in those games where we have held our own and maybe should have capitalised more on possession.

May have been a little bit of naivety in our play at times, as previously mentioned, trying to match some of these teams man-for-man. If it clicks and it's a big "if" granted, but if it clicks and we're a bit more ruthless, it's not too late to make a statement and put Wex away as while I'm not so sure Davy will rest players (I suspect he'll start strong with a plan to swap players out early in second period), those players may have one eye on the QFs and may not be up for a battle.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on March 24, 2017, 02:37:44 PM
Team for Sunday

LAOIS TEAM IN FULL:

1. Eoin Fleming (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
2. Lee Cleere (Clough Ballacolla)
3. Leigh Bergin (Shanahoe)
4. Dwane Palmer (Camross)
5. Cahir Healy (Portlaoise)
6. Ryan Mullaney (Castletown)
7. Sean Downey (Ballinakill)
8. Ross King (Rathdowney Errill)
9. Patrick Purcell (Rathdowney Errill)
10. Cian Taylor (Portlaoise)
11. Charles Dwyer (Ballinakill)
12. Ben Conroy (Slieve Bloom)
13. Willie Dunphy (Clough Ballacolla)
14. Neil Foyle (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
15. Aaron Dunphy (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)

At the end of the day we have our limitations but the lads will still give it everything. There are some really good, young hurlers there and every game gives them more experience. They might as well go for it tomorrow and who knows. Maybe Wexfords second string are not so hot (that's if Fitzy rests lads)

Very very young team and will probably struggle physically against a much more experienced Wexford. If those lads can be kept together for a few years their day will come. Hammerings won't help with self belief though so hopefully they can come out of this with some confidence ahead of a very important relegation playoff (probably). Defensively we will have to stay tight and not let them run through us.

finbar o tool

At this stage im beginning to think we should drop to division 2 and Christy Ring and just rebuild, from the bottom up. I wouldn't be up for just dropping down without a proper plan to rebuild though. We need to get in a good hurling director, maybe Critchley, or Cheddar, and get the underage coaching and structures up to scratch and go from there. No one wants to hear that and i dont want to be saying it but we are well behind in every department. We are 10 years behind other counties in our practices, coaching standards and schools coaching, and weve lost an awful lot of good experienced players over the last 2/3 years and its hurt us. And lets face it we weren't world beaters 2/3 years ago either. Conceding 6-31 to Limerick is just staggering! And psychologically demoralising.
Dont jump down my throat here lads, explain if you think theres a better way or how this current bunch are going to change dramatically over the next few years staying where they are?
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

burdizzo

I quite agree, and suggested as much after the Limerick hiding. Big beatings like that will only put young lads off, and they'll be gone by the time they're 25 themselves. Hopefully all this talk of restructuring the league into eight-team divisions is true.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: finbar o tool on March 26, 2017, 12:41:49 AM
At this stage im beginning to think we should drop to division 2 and Christy Ring and just rebuild, from the bottom up. I wouldn't be up for just dropping down without a proper plan to rebuild though. We need to get in a good hurling director, maybe Critchley, or Cheddar, and get the underage coaching and structures up to scratch and go from there. No one wants to hear that and i dont want to be saying it but we are well behind in every department. We are 10 years behind other counties in our practices, coaching standards and schools coaching, and weve lost an awful lot of good experienced players over the last 2/3 years and its hurt us. And lets face it we weren't world beaters 2/3 years ago either. Conceding 6-31 to Limerick is just staggering! And psychologically demoralising.
Dont jump down my throat here lads, explain if you think theres a better way or how this current bunch are going to change dramatically over the next few years staying where they are?

Staggering.
We were very competitive in the league 2/3 years ago.
Are you sure Cheddar would be up to the job?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

finbar o tool

I know what you're digging at there Keyser, i know you wouldn't genuinely be asking that as you're one of Cheddars biggest fans! But yes, once hes not on the sideline of our senior intercounty team i have great time for him! And Critchley would probably serve us better on the front line, coaching kids!

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 26, 2017, 10:04:47 AM
Quote from: finbar o tool on March 26, 2017, 12:41:49 AM

Staggering.
We were very competitive in the league 2/3 years ago.
Are you sure Cheddar would be up to the job?

I read it last night, had a little chuckle and decided to ignore the f**ker.

finbar o tool

f**ker? Nice! True colours showing there Don!

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Quote from: redsetanta on March 26, 2017, 12:55:44 PM
Come on Don no need for it.

I disagree.
Considering that this poster was more or less telling us that Cheddar was holding us back.
Considering that Cheddar brought us back to Division 1 and kept us there for 3 years, being extremely competitive for 2 of those 3 years.

Now, less than 12 months later, he proposes that we drop down voluntarily to Division 2.
On top of this, he suggests that Cheddar might come back in and oversee hurling in the county.

I'd rather play "negatively" and be competitive in Division 1B than yo-yo up and down between 2A and 1B forever more.

finbar o tool

Don and Keyser, 2 of the finest keyboard warriors ive ever seen! When are ye going to understand people can have different opinions than ye?!
And "extremely competitive" is an exaggeration! And im not going to stay repeating myself over Cheddar.
I shared an opinion. Discuss it or dont i couldnt care less.

Helix

Seems to be a great performance in Wexford. 1 point behind with 5 to go.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Keyser Söze

Quote from: finbar o tool on March 26, 2017, 03:19:06 PM
Don and Keyser, 2 of the finest keyboard warriors ive ever seen! When are ye going to understand people can have different opinions than ye?!
And "extremely competitive" is an exaggeration! And im not going to stay repeating myself over Cheddar.
I shared an opinion. Discuss it or dont i couldnt care less.

An opinion is what I'm offering.
I would stand over saying that Laois were extremely competitive in 1B in 2014 & 2015?

2014- Laois beat Antrim and Offaly. Lost to Cork, Wexford and Limerick by 7, 6 & 4 points respectively.
Lost a quarter final to Clare (defending All Ireland Champions) by 4.

2015- Laois beat Antrim. Lost to Offaly, Waterford, Wexford and Limerick by 4, 18, 12 & 6 points respectively.
Beat Antrim comfortably in a relegation playoff.
So two heavy defeats in 2 years. The Wexford game for the record was 0-25 to 5-22 (so not totally outclassed).
Yes i'll say that is extremely competitive, particularly in 2014.
I'm not sure what you would be expecting as a Laois supporter. But sure I suppose we can always drop back and be extremely competitive in Division 2.
So, the progress you were looking for 12 months ago now involves stepping back into Division 2? Interesting definition of progress!

Helix

Play off vs Kerry hopefully get home venue. Seemed to be much improved in Wexford. However Wexford seemed very wasteful. Good to see goals from play good too. Vital we stay in the division.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail