New rules on naming teams

Started by twohands!!!, May 14, 2015, 07:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

The new rules for the naming of championship teams are in place now.

So far only Leitrim have actually named their full 26 - Galway, Westmeath and Offaly have named only their starting 15. No sign of Donegal, Tyrone, Louth or Longford.

Anyone think that the GAA should publish the full 26 for all teams on their main site at something like 12pm ?

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1405151343-new-rules-for-team-lists-and-match-day-panels/

Qwerty28

Delighted to see this and hopefully rules will be implemented, no other sport has the childish attitude to dummy teams and a host of late changes to published teams.

On a related note, at the recent league finals, Armagh must have had 15-20 subs togged out yet I presume only numbers 16-26 could have been involved, therefore why bother going through the charade of togging out when you cant play?

Rossfan

Team spirit and sense of belonging etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

DuffleKing

Quote from: Qwerty28 on May 14, 2015, 10:53:25 PM
Delighted to see this and hopefully rules will be implemented, no other sport has the childish attitude to dummy teams and a host of late changes to published teams.

On a related note, at the recent league finals, Armagh must have had 15-20 subs togged out yet I presume only numbers 16-26 could have been involved, therefore why bother going through the charade of togging out when you cant play?

They should name their teams an hour before throw in. Naming a team midweek is ridiculous

rrhf

Agreed but that needs panel numbers because of programs

Zulu

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 14, 2015, 11:32:43 PM
Quote from: Qwerty28 on May 14, 2015, 10:53:25 PM

They should name their teams an hour before throw in. Naming a team midweek is ridiculous

Why's that? Naming a team an hour before throw in is nonsensical, if you're suggesting that then you may as well suggest not naming teams at all and we can just find out once they take the field. It would be very rare that a manager would not know if a player would be fit enough to start by the Wednesday before the match. It's nonsense from GAA managers and nothing else.

DuffleKing

When they take to the field is time enough for me.

You know who united are fielding four days before a game?

When you think about the dynamics of gaelic football,  surely 2/3 players in any team might have the potential to fall short of match fitness in the final few days?

rrhf

The tannoy redundant so. What about the down lad who got poleaxed in the warm up.  Stevie o Neill done the same nfl final 2 years ago.

thewobbler

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 15, 2015, 12:47:30 AM

When you think about the dynamics of gaelic football,  surely 2/3 players in any team might have the potential to fall short of match fitness in the final few days?

There are many many things in soccer that we should strive to avoif mimicking, and one of them is the over-emphasis on management ahead of players.

I stopped reading Sunday paper match reviews a few years ago as a trend emerged where journos would write 10 paragraphs around the story of the game, and only two about the action. The 10 paras almost always focus on the words and actions of the managers, with journalists promoting and celebrating tactical battles and outwittery that simply doesn't actually happen.

Allowing managers to name teams close to throw-in will only see more of this culture creep into GAA. Sport should be about players, first and foremost.

Zulu

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 15, 2015, 12:47:30 AM

Don't know what they do in soccer but in a sport with a 10 month season and 50+ games I can understand if they don't name teams in advance. However, in the GAA where a team might play 7 - 8 games in a 5 month period surely that isn't much of an imposition? Of course there might be the odd genuine injury concern but in recent years teams were being named that everyone knew wouldn't start. It was getting ridiculous.

AZOffaly

I think it's daft. The only rationale I can see for naming teams in advance is the program. And then you have the farcical 'we have 6 changes on the Clare team' situation.

They should name the championship panel at the start of the year, and allocate numbers 1-30. If a new player comes onto the panel, give him number 31 for the year. Then each program could simply list the panel with their numbers, and leave a space beside each player for the reader to tick whether is is starting or not. If they give a shite.

Then the manager could name his team an hour before throw in, and no one would take any notice. In fact it would be a good conversation piece coming up to the game.

Captain Obvious

Under these new rules couldn't managers still make a number of late changes to their starting fifteen from the eleven subs selected?

westbound

I'm a bit confused about this rule.

When the team is named on the Thursday morning, does this team have to start the game or can some of the subs number 16-26 start instead of the 1-15?

If nos. 16-26 can start then I see how this new rule is solving the perceived problem.

If no changes can be made to nos 1-15, what happens if a lad get a late injury?

I'm obviously missing something!

Please help me out here!  :)

westbound

As I was typing, you made a very similar point to me captain.  :)

deiseach

I don't see how they can make this rule stick, there are so many caveats as to make it completely ineffective. But, in general, I wish managers would name the effin' team during the week. The only ones they are fooling with all these dummy teams is themselves.