Laois gaa Referees

Started by From the Terrace, February 05, 2024, 06:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Terrace

This is as hard a job as there is imo.
This thread should not be used to be negative towards referee. I will stick up my top ten hurling & football refs in due course, others can do likewise if they feel like it.
Joe Brennan retired this year - a sound man will be missed, a fair old school referee imo.

SCFC

Brendan McCann is the best football ref in the county. Deegan and Cooney are very good too.
I like Brendan Hickey too. Very fair man.
Clifford Ward is also good.
They're the top 5 football refs for me.

From the Terrace

I'll go with Football first.
1. Maurice Deegan
2. Brendan McCann
3. Clifford Ward
4. Seamus Mulhare
5. Joe Brennan (Retired)
6. Hugh Coghlan
7. Brendan Hickey
8. Mick Tarpey
9. Tom Kennedy
10. Des Cooney

georgedoylesrightleg

Verbal

From the Terrace

Not sure whats the big deal, i for one will not put anything negative up about any referee. to my hurling list.

1. Alan Doheny
2. Padraig Dunne
3. Kieran Bowe
4. John Lalor
5. Jamie McDonald
6. Pat Phelan
7. Anthony Stapleton
8. Michael Cleere
9. Ronan Devanney
10. Noel Twomey

Laois Rising

The fact you are ranking the referee's meaning and inferring that you see those lower down on your list as inferior in standard to others is casting them in a negative light. The pool of referees is small in the county and anyone who does takes on this largely thankless role has my upmost respect.

This thread is dangerous if one or more posters decides to air their grievances with a referee's performance after a club championship game. 

From the Terrace

I can see the danger in that. Can we ask gaa boards to delete a thread? Maybe in a months time.

Clubs are ranked every year on their performances, why can't clubs rank referees every year maybe on a survey & send back into laois gaa is this not a proactive step? Or is just a select few who decide who are good referees?

I believe croke park needs to support our referees more. Rescinding these bans such as the incident in the Tullamore v Summerhill is not helpful. Injured player banned 96 weeks correct decision, then appealed received 24 weeks, effectively no punishement.

georgedoylesrightleg

cos refs aRe vounteering the poor hoores n get enuff abuse off pricks on socials and in person. leave them alone

that fella in offlay wasn right, more to story there

From the Terrace

We're all volunteers? That chap in Offaly was after coming out of the hospital is the talk - actions have consequences whatever someone's state of mine - the lad should've got a minimum 48 week ban imo.

From the Terrace

I don't abuse referees BTW. Like I said at the start of this thread impossible job they have, Croke Park don't do enough to protect them.

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: From the Terrace on February 15, 2024, 11:37:51 AMI can see the danger in that. Can we ask gaa boards to delete a thread? Maybe in a months time.

Clubs are ranked every year on their performances, why can't clubs rank referees every year maybe on a survey & send back into laois gaa is this not a proactive step? Or is just a select few who decide who are good referees?

I believe croke park needs to support our referees more. Rescinding these bans such as the incident in the Tullamore v Summerhill is not helpful. Injured player banned 96 weeks correct decision, then appealed received 24 weeks, effectively no punishement.

First post that crosses the line gets the thread locked and poster banned.

Add names to the list, or put names higher on the list is the best way to go from here...no need to say who should not be on the list at all or is too high on the list.

Keep it civil.

Thanks,

Mod5

georgedoylesrightleg

Eesy from the cheep seets. ref a bit n come back to us

SCFC

Don't see the harm in this thread - nice to see the good refs being praised.
As it happens, I think the standard of football refs in Laois is not too bad at all. Some good young refs out there too like McDonald, Bailey, Robbie Moran.
Biggest issue is the lack of numbers of refs.