Westmeath v Armagh - Cusack Park, Sat 9th June (7:00pm throw in)

Started by illdecide, June 04, 2018, 09:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP

naka

tonto1888

Quote from: naka on June 09, 2018, 08:54:04 PM
How bad was Rafferty shoulder  injury?
Mi didn't see what happened but he seemed in a lot of pain

Captain Obvious

Easier than expected win for Armagh.  A round 2 draw against Leitrim or Sligo would be nice next but those teams are probably left aside for Tyrone and Mayo.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 10, 2018, 12:33:55 AM
Easier than expected win for Armagh.  A round 2 draw against Leitrim or Sligo would be nice next but those teams are probably left aside for Tyrone and Mayo.

To be fair, those in the know such as Shark (see below) seemed to be quite sure of a comfortable Armagh victory.

Quote from: shark on June 09, 2018, 02:53:08 PM
I don't think you realise how depleted (for various reasons)  Westmeath are. Heslin, Sharry, Maguire, Killian Daly, Dolan, Boyle are 6 of their most important players. The depth isn't there. Armagh will win with quite a bit to spare.

A mate of mine living in Westmeath told me that the locals were lumping on Armagh to win at -2 points - I think he said that bet was even money.

Still - a win is important in the greater scheme of things, as confidence was fragile enough going into the match. Hopefully if we can get Sheridan back and fully fit and have Grimley back - who can be an excellent addition with his long range frees - then we can push through another round or two, with a favourable draw. I'd have to say though that the feeling must be that the missing players we have will ultimately be an issue that will come back to bite us long before the season heads to the Super 8s.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Orior on June 10, 2018, 08:48:22 AM
Any chance of the Cross players returning?

Rian O'Neill played for the U20 team this week.

tonto1888

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 10, 2018, 12:33:55 AM

Well said.
O'Neills Therapist

regal

A good win although Westmeath were very poor. Rafferty going off injured is a big blow

Just one point regarding Patrick burns - he has been excellent this season and his progress has been a real highlight for Armagh. However, someone needs to remind him that he is not from Tyrone and therefore he shouldn't be goading and antagonising opposition players. Have a look at how andy mallon played the game.

Onwards and upwards

mackers

Better from Armagh although as others have said Westmeath were poor.  Westmeath didn't play defensively in the first half and gave us room to play some nice football.  Rafferty, Grugan and Murnin all moved well and some of the football was really good. We went to sleep for 4 or 5 minutes just before half time and Westmeath took advantage and scored three points on the bounce and got themselves back into the game.
I thought Westmeath sat back at the start of the second half and we had difficulty in breaking them down.  Our two very lucky goals broke them and it was game over.  Minnie McShane had a great cameo with his pace creating havoc in the Westmeath defence.  The reception that Jemar Hall received on his substitution was great.  He played well and was rewarded for his perseverance over the last few years.
Very disappointing for Ethan Rafferty as it looks like the end of his year.  The Westmeath player was lucky to just see yellow for what he did to a clearly injured player right in front of the referee who, in general, was excellent on the evening.
I hope the behaviour of the Armagh support on Saturday evening met with the approval of the Westmeath county board  ;)
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Armamike

Quote from: mackers on June 11, 2018, 10:22:03 AM
Better from Armagh although as others have said Westmeath were poor.  Westmeath didn't play defensively in the first half and gave us room to play some nice football.  Rafferty, Grugan and Murnin all moved well and some of the football was really good. We went to sleep for 4 or 5 minutes just before half time and Westmeath took advantage and scored three points on the bounce and got themselves back into the game.
I thought Westmeath sat back at the start of the second half and we had difficulty in breaking them down.  Our two very lucky goals broke them and it was game over.  Minnie McShane had a great cameo with his pace creating havoc in the Westmeath defence.  The reception that Jemar Hall received on his substitution was great.  He played well and was rewarded for his perseverance over the last few years.
Very disappointing for Ethan Rafferty as it looks like the end of his year.  The Westmeath player was lucky to just see yellow for what he did to a clearly injured player right in front of the referee who, in general, was excellent on the evening.
I hope the behaviour of the Armagh support on Saturday evening met with the approval of the Westmeath county board  ;)

Poor form that -not nice to see a player goad a badly injured opponent.
That's just, like your opinion man.

DuffleKing

In fairness to him, Ethan had checked him from getting a return pass and gone to ground - it's likely he wasn't aware of the injury was frustrated.

tonto1888

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 11, 2018, 11:34:32 AM

In fairness to him, Ethan had checked him from getting a return pass and gone to ground - it's likely he wasn't aware of the injury was frustrated.

What did he get a yellow for?