Ulster Club SFC 2023

Started by general_lee, September 26, 2023, 11:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Nearly all sports will have 2-3 dominant teams, nearly every county will have 2-3 teams who account for half to 2/3 of county titles. Up till we went on the run in 1996 it was split 3 ways, 24 to us, 20 to Armagh Harps and 14 to Clan na Gael. That was basically 2/3 of the titles. I'd say if you look at most counties this is the case. In Galway for instance too 4 teams have 81 of the titles with Tuam Stars top at 25. 4 clubs in Dublin 61 titles. Kerry more evenly spread but 2 divisional teams have 20 titles between them. Cork similar though Nemo well ahead. In Mayo Ballina and Castlebar have 68 titles between them. In Monaghan 3 clubs have 69 titles. Point is that this is generally the case.

Estimator

Looking at Derry's winners from the last 20yrs - 3 teams: Slaughtneil, Glen and Coleraine had 0 titles between them in 2003. Now they have 11 between them.

Three of the winners had a long stint without one:
Glenullin were on a 20+yr wait,
Magherafelt a 30+yr wait
An lub a 60+yr wait.

And looking at the top 5 most successful clubs in Derry, they are on a bit of a county title famine:
Bellaghy 21 titles - last 2005
Ballinderry 13 titles - last 2013
Newbridge 10 titles - last 1989
Lavey 9 titles - last 1993
Dungiven 7 titles - last 1997
Ulster League Champions 2009

AustinPowers

Quote from: Kernan_is_King on October 30, 2023, 04:15:27 PMI think there is a connection between the top club in Armagh and their county success.

You could argue that was  true with Crossmaglen's AI titles from 1997-2000 , and Armagh's success around  then

but Crossmaglen's 3 later AI titles doesn't correspond with Armagh's lack of  success from 2007 to 2012

quit yo jibbajabba

Great stats estimator cheers

Few sleeping giants alright...

Orior

Quote from: Snapchap on October 30, 2023, 11:36:21 AMFor anyone interested, here's the breakdown of the last 20 years of county championship title winners in Ulster:

Good work.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

general_lee

Best club team not win their championship?

Dromintee had a brilliant side in the early 2000s but lost 5 finals in ten years to Cross.

Orior

Quote from: general_lee on October 30, 2023, 11:33:43 PMBest club team not win their championship?

Dromintee had a brilliant side in the early 2000s but lost 5 finals in ten years to Cross.

Define 'best'.

Poyntzpass is a great wee club and has never won a senior championship match.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

grounded

Glen    5/6
Kilcoo    4/1
Scotstown    9/1
Crossmaglen    9/1
Naomh Conaill  10/1
Trillick   10/1
Gowna    28/1
Cargin    28/1
Derrygonnelly 100/1

Glen hot favourites to win Ulster. Hard to see them beaten tbh. Could be some value in Kilcoo?
    Hard to see anything but Kilcoo winning on Sunday though.

Milltown Row2

Kilcoo are -7 for weekend!

Some teams only score 12 points in Ulster club
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Hard to put your finger on why the Tyrone championship is so hard to predict. Even sides with maybe only 1-2 fringe county players (Dungannon/Clonoe in the last 15 years) seem to be able to go on a run and lift the title, then don't really have the same fight in Ulster.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: ONeill on November 01, 2023, 10:13:49 PMHard to put your finger on why the Tyrone championship is so hard to predict. Even sides with maybe only 1-2 fringe county players (Dungannon/Clonoe in the last 15 years) seem to be able to go on a run and lift the title, then don't really have the same fight in Ulster.

Not that hard to put your finger on it, straight KO, teams don't have 4/5 group games to get up to speed.
Perform from day 1 or your gone simple as.

statto

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2023, 10:13:23 PMKilcoo are -7 for weekend!

Some teams only score 12 points in Ulster club
They beat Derrygonnelly in January 2022 by 16 points. 

tonto1888

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 02, 2023, 09:03:08 AM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on November 02, 2023, 08:58:41 AM
Quote from: ONeill on November 01, 2023, 10:13:49 PMHard to put your finger on why the Tyrone championship is so hard to predict. Even sides with maybe only 1-2 fringe county players (Dungannon/Clonoe in the last 15 years) seem to be able to go on a run and lift the title, then don't really have the same fight in Ulster.

Not that hard to put your finger on it, straight KO, teams don't have 4/5 group games to get up to speed.
Perform from day 1 or your gone simple as.
I think you are missing the most important bit. There are a pile of teams of similar standard.

Cargin, Cross, Glen & Kilcoo would all still win their respective championships handy enough if they were straight KO.

I am pretty sure cross didnt win the last couple that were knockout

seafoid

It's similar in Tipp hurling and Kerry. The name of the game is competition to feed the county team.
Very strong clubs do not help the county cause. Strong club competition does. Tyrone behaves like a serious county.
A lot of county championships are dominated by 1 club and turn into turkey shoots.

Between 2002 and 2022 Galway clubs won 6 hurling and 6 club titles while the county only won a single county all Ireland.

Tyrone clubs won 0 club all Irelands and 4 Sams.  It's all about priorities.

seafoid

It looks like Kilmacud will feature strongly again. Will anyone from Ulster be able to stop them?