Blasphemy referendum

Started by macdanger2, October 05, 2018, 08:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Got the literature from the Referendum commission today in the post - it's literally about removing one word from the constitution.

Is this not a huge waste of money?? I agree that it should be removed but ffs, does it need a standalone vote? I'm not sure how much it's costing but I've heard radio ads about it so presumably between that and letters to every house, it's a decent amount. If we're really that desperate to remove it, surely there are 3/4 other minor changes that could be lumped in with it. Otherwise, leave it off until the next referendum

RedHand88

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 05, 2018, 08:30:17 PM
Got the literature from the Referendum commission today in the post - it's literally about removing one word from the constitution.

Is this not a huge waste of money?? I agree that it should be removed but ffs, does it need a standalone vote? I'm not sure how much it's costing but I've heard radio ads about it so presumably between that and letters to every house, it's a decent amount. If we're really that desperate to remove it, surely there are 3/4 other minor changes that could be lumped in with it. Otherwise, leave it off until the next referendum

It is a huge waste of money aye but one of the things with a republic is that constitutional changes can only come about by popular vote.

rrhf

Baile Brigín 2

That was the plan, but a couple of others like women in the home werent ready. No reason why it couldn't wait till presedential election day

Hardy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 06, 2018, 10:51:59 AM

That was the plan, but a couple of others like women in the home werent ready. No reason why it couldn't wait till presedential election day

It IS on presidential election day.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Hardy on October 06, 2018, 11:11:38 AM

I was just about to query that  :)

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Hardy on October 06, 2018, 11:11:38 AM

Correct. Scarleh. Dont know how I got that wrong

magpie seanie

Our constitutional rules demand that any changes are done by the people by a vote. A man was very nearly charged under this stupid artcile recently so the sooner it's remived the better.

macdanger2

I know why we need a referendum to change this i.e. because we have a constitution. But is this really one of the pressing issues of the day? I would have thought there'd be no end of things the govt could spend time and money on besides this.

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 08, 2018, 09:28:57 AM
A man was very nearly charged under this stupid artcile recently so the sooner it's remived the better.

What was that incident?

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: rrhf on October 06, 2018, 06:09:37 AM
Jehovah.. jehovah
You're only making things worse for yourself.
Careful now

magpie seanie

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 08, 2018, 10:19:07 AM
I know why we need a referendum to change this i.e. because we have a constitution. But is this really one of the pressing issues of the day? I would have thought there'd be no end of things the govt could spend time and money on besides this.

A man was very nearly charged under this stupid artcile recently so the sooner it's remived the better.

What was that incident?

Stephen Fry on Gay Byrne's "Meaning of Life" if I remember correctly.

macdanger2

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 08, 2018, 11:37:33 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 08, 2018, 10:19:07 AM

What was that incident?

Stephen Fry on Gay Byrne's "Meaning of Life" if I remember correctly.

That's mad, hadn't read that at the time

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/stephen-fry-will-not-be-prosecuted-for-blasphemy-1.3075938?mode=amp

Eamonnca1

In theory a dictatorship is cheaper to run than a democracy, but in practice you're better off with democracy in the long run.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 08, 2018, 06:24:31 PM
In theory a dictatorship is cheaper to run than a democracy, but in practice you're better off with democracy in the long run.

Are you sure about that?

The Egyptians were around a lot longer than then Greeks...

The only thing that matters is than you have buy-in from the masses.

Which is the theory of democracy. But in practice eventually it works into a Tower of Babel situation with too many people are pulling in different directions for proper governance.
The Greeks figured that out too, but now we're learning it over again.