Well done the Biffos

Started by slow corner back, July 12, 2008, 08:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

Great result for Offally today, first win over a munster county for a right few years for the Biffos
From RTE.ie
Offaly 3-19 Limerick 0-18

Saturday, 12 July 2008 20:48
Offaly shocked last year's beaten All-Ireland finalists Limerick at the Gaelic Grounds to advance to the next round of All-Ireland qualifiers.

Full-forward Joe Bergin scored a hat-trick of goals as the Faithful County bounced back from their Leinster Championship defeat at the hands of Kilkenny.

Offaly led by 2-11 to 0-6 at half-time and held off an early second half revival from Limerick to re-assert complete control.

Limerick substitute Denis Moloney was lucky not to see red late on for a wild pull on Joe Brady.

Bacon

Watched the game at home after returning from Newry. Offaly were excellent. In many ways they played like the Offaly of old.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

The Real Laoislad

Have to hold me hands up..Fair play to the Biff's
You'll Never Walk Alone.

timmykelleher

Caught the last quarter of this on the telly.
Offaly looked in complete control with Limerick hardly having a sniff of a goal.

Well done the biffo's.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Shamrock Shore

Limerick were cat. Where the fcuk was the spirit.

Was v impressed with Offaly. Full back was some fecker and, correct me if I'm wrong, did Marty say 7 of the team were U21s?

Offaly hurling ship moving in the right direction. Limerick's ship has run aground I fear!

That Limerick sub should have walked (in fairness the Offaly lad who pevented the quick free was not a holy innocent) but to pull a hurl on a lad like that was wicked. How he only got a yellow card is beyond me.

AZOffaly

I'm absolutely delighted. I'll post more on Monday but it was so good to see offaly hurl like Offaly again. Heart, spirit. Support play. Hooks and blocks. Flicks and picks. Great stuff and I'm proud of them. I hope they can build from this.

Limerick were poor, but at last we were good. With the right spirit we can still make waves.

At least 7 under 21s including Kenny and bergin. And 4 sons of the 80s teams. Currams, Dooley, horan and Carroll all have famous hurling dads.

Treasurer

Super result.  It's been too long.

Shamneful how little support we had though.

INDIANA

congrats to Offaly , 2 fingers to the Sunday game analysts who'd prefer if thed rest of leinster just disappeared.

faithful7

Well Done to the Offaly Lads! G. Oakley had a super game, especially in the first half. Their 1st half performance against the Cats was extended yesterday to the full 70 minutes against Limerick. I think Limerick were 'misled' by the pundits that it was only a case of turning up and that the real challenge was down the road. In my opinion this group has the makings of a very good team if they keep that spirit. Contrary to what some say about Brian Cody and his comments about battles - after matches where the opposition is destroyed - I think his comment was genuine i.e that Offaly could beat Kilkenny if the Cats were to adopt the attitude that seems to have been the case with Limerick yesterday. I do feel sorry for the Limerick lads - they have put in a lot of effort and haven't got much in return. No consolation to say @Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach'.
I would be very confident that Offaly could reach the quarte finals, provided the quick succession of tough games and involvement in th U - 21s doesn't burn them out.
At least the 'summer' has not disappeared down the tubes yet. What a difference a bit of success can make. Go n-éirí libh sa chéad babhta eile'

fearglasmor

Great performance by Offaly even allowing for Limerick being so poor.
For me the highlight was seeing Brendan Murphy put in a great performance after being pretty anonymous for the last few years. Couldn't believe he is still only 27. Seems to have been around for ever.

Well donre Offaly and Joe Dooley.

Ash Smoker

It looked like vintage Offaly...hooking, blocking and hassling.
Offaly used the ball wisely like they did in the days of the Dooleys, Troys and Pilkingtons.
I think Waterford will be too good for a very young Offaly team.