Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Tyrone into next round, but have we took a step forward, or a step back?

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on June 22, 2019, 06:43:23 PM

The victory looked to be convincing enough. Little bit of complacency in the dying moments saw Longford get 1-03 on the trot. I think we're still vulnerable now so hopefully the draw is kind on Monday.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

southtyronegael

Quote from: Angelo on June 22, 2019, 07:55:32 PM

The victory looked to be convincing enough. Little bit of complacency in the dying moments saw Longford get 1-03 on the trot. I think we're still vulnerable now so hopefully the draw is kind on Monday.
I think we went back to the blanket though

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on June 22, 2019, 08:14:34 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 22, 2019, 07:55:32 PM

I think we went back to the blanket though

Good.

We need that blanket or we won't be going anywhere this year.

Still got 2-15 on the scoreboard and only for we had it home and hosed going down the straight I doubt we'd have conceded that late goal. Compared to the Antrim, Derry and Donegal games we didn't seem to cough up many goal chances.

sidelineball

Good win, always tough going to tight grounds and an ambush is on the cards. We done what we had to do.
Thought the lads looked in control throughout. Good to see McShane getting a few, if a bit lucky goals and I thought McClure slotted in well at late notice. Always liked him as a player would like to see him get more game time. Same for Kyle Coney.
No Hampsey so must be something to the injury rumours.

ose 14

Very few positives to take from that game apart from morgan. The blanket has returned and big colm is looking back to his allstar running backwards best. Mcnamee roasted in the first 8 minutes and moved is an ongoing theme in the full backline. Longfords wastefulness and failure to play a sweeper, gave  tyrone a platform in the first half but this team is seriously undercooked. Midfield is non existant and if donnelly and harte are shut out then tyrone dont have a plan B. The only difference between tyrone and longford yesterday was the two goalkeepers.. Longfords gave up about 1-3 on kickout and morgan didnt. If longford had shaun patton or cluxton yesterday they probably might have won. Tyrone are a set up of diminishing returns.

Redhand Santa

When Tyrone didn't have the ball cavanagh dropped back as sweeper. Most teams drop someone back there and cavanagh is excellent at it. I'm not sure what some of you want but we need cover back there.

Tyrone at times got everyone back but at other times left Mc Shane and McCurry up. I thought we where good in the first half hour. Tackled back well and worked scores well going forward. Disappointed with the second half as we seemed to drop the tempo.

Thought mcshane was excellent again as a target man. Though  sludden was poor again and he's been very lucky to get so much game time the last two years. Big draw tomorrow morning as there's big gap in quality of potential opponents. I do like the unpredictability and regular games of the qualifiers.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: ose 14 on June 23, 2019, 08:01:03 AM
Very few positives to take from that game apart from morgan. The blanket has returned and big colm is looking back to his allstar running backwards best. Mcnamee roasted in the first 8 minutes and moved is an ongoing theme in the full backline. Longfords wastefulness and failure to play a sweeper, gave  tyrone a platform in the first half but this team is seriously undercooked. Midfield is non existant and if donnelly and harte are shut out then tyrone dont have a plan B. The only difference between tyrone and longford yesterday was the two goalkeepers.. Longfords gave up about 1-3 on kickout and morgan didnt. If longford had shaun patton or cluxton yesterday they probably might have won. Tyrone are a set up of diminishing returns.

I'd say that's stretching it a bit to say Longford might have won - Tyrone were much the better team and the gap was 8 - 10 points for the majority of the game.

Only 2 of the Tyrone forwards scoring was a poor return against such a weak team. McShane won virtually every ball that was played his way and if he is a bit more direct he has the power to take on his man and be a real goal threat going forward. Peter Harte also played quite well - not sure what the balck was for - that's his 2nd this year so as long as he didn't get any in the league (or double yellow) he will be available the next day. Sludden poor again unfortunately and McCurry kicked a few bad wides off his left, McAliskey hardly touched the ball when he came on.
Thought Hugh Pat McGeary improved the full back line (must have been injured for the Donegal game?) and overall we looked more solid defensively albeit against a toothless Longford attack. We went zonal on kick outs which paid dividends a few times early on (against a poor goalie) but aerially Tyrone lost a lot of the 50/50 kickouts. I was hoping Tyrone would push on in the second half and win by 12 / 15 plus but their shot selection and shooting was awful. Mattie Donnelly appears to carrying an injury as well - his form has dipped massively from the league. Already lost Hampsey to injury so can not afford many more.

Mayo and Armagh would be the teams to avoid in the draw.

Angelo

Any word on the McGeary injury? Was he taken off as a precaution?

Was Richie Donnelly injured yesterday?

southtyronegael

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: redzone on June 21, 2019, 09:53:53 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 21, 2019, 09:48:31 PM
Good win for the minors, first Ulster minor final since 2013.
Who are the players would say that have the most potential at that level

Another Canavan on the horizon!

Fuzzman

Quote from: Angelo on June 23, 2019, 12:12:52 PM

He collapsed in front of us. He just fainted apparently and has no memory of it at all.
Doctor decided at half time not to risk him so he was rested second half.
Did HP faint or something last year too?

No news on Richie. I think the "big" players are just coasting through games and saving themselves.
Also wonder is Mickey trying not to reveal their hand too soon. Donegal look very good and after the weekend most are saying they are best placed to challenge the Dubs but it's early days though a shock in Newbridge would soon end that talk. I can't see it though.
Thought the ref on Sat was terrible.

BennyHarp

Ritchie failed a fitness test before the game i believe.
That was never a square ball!!

square_ball

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 24, 2019, 11:17:13 AM

He collapsed in front of us. He just fainted apparently and has no memory of it at all.
Doctor decided at half time not to risk him so he was rested second half.
Did HP faint or something last year too?

No news on Richie. I think the "big" players are just coasting through games and saving themselves.
Also wonder is Mickey trying not to reveal their hand too soon. Donegal look very good and after the weekend most are saying they are best placed to challenge the Dubs but it's early days though a shock in Newbridge would soon end that talk. I can't see it though.
Thought the ref on Sat was terrible.

Jaysus fuzz he'd need to reveal his hand sooner rather than later if that's the plan.

GetOverTheBar

Tyrone should get past Kildare alright, they seem to have a hold over them.