38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

6th sam

Quote from: Angelo on December 19, 2020, 09:05:25 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 19, 2020, 09:03:21 PM
I don't think Aidan O'Shea has improved as a footballer in any way over the past 8 years.

He's a carthorse.

Now he can be effective but he has extremely limited footballing ability.

I have been critical of Aodhán o'Se in the past but his stats Mark him
Out as outstanding , his performances are characterised by unselfishness , leadership and intelligence. Referees appear extremely hard on him imho. Surely nobody else has to suffer so many unpunished fouls and cards. What let Mayo down today was simply lack of ruthless product in front of their own goal and the opposition goal. This Mayo team Must win an All-ireland , for me they represent all that is good about the GAA

dublin7

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on December 19, 2020, 06:46:26 PM
The worst part is Dublin aren't even footballers anymore. The money thing was one thing when they had Connolly, Brogan etc, those were generational talented footballers.

Dublin are just athletes now, they're a professional outfit against amateurs and that's all.

How are you enjoying them lemons tonight? Bitter enough for you? Fenton is one of the the best footballers in the country and is head and shoulders the best midfielder in the game.  Kilkenny is probably the player of the year. Are you saying Cluxton is just an athlete?

It's bitter posts like this that make victory even sweeter

MayoBuck

It is what it is. Dublin have better players than us. To have a chance we needed everything to go in our favour.

We can't afford to lose a player like Paddy Durcan at half time. We can't afford to have Jason Doherty and Brendan Harrison sitting in the stand for a full championship.

Lee Keegan got a black card in 2016 on a 50:50 decision. Jonny Cooper didn't get one in the 2nd half today. Fitzsimons arguably should have seen red in the 2nd half today yet we didn't even get a free.

Just to reiterate, I'm not being bitter as Dublin have better players than us. Everything had to go our way to win and it didn't.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: MayoBuck on December 19, 2020, 09:24:29 PM
It is what it is. Dublin have better players than us. To have a chance we needed everything to go in our favour.

We can't afford to lose a player like Paddy Durcan at half time. We can't afford to have Jason Doherty and Brendan Harrison sitting in the stand for a full championship.

Lee Keegan got a black card in 2016 on a 50:50 decision. Jonny Cooper didn't get one in the 2nd half today. Fitzsimons arguably should have seen red in the 2nd half today yet we didn't even get a free.

Just to reiterate, I'm not being bitter as Dublin have better players than us. Everything had to go our way to win and it didn't.

My thoughts exactly.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: dublin7 on December 19, 2020, 09:23:14 PM
The worst part is Dublin aren't even footballers anymore. The money thing was one thing when they had Connolly, Brogan etc, those were generational talented footballers.

Dublin are just athletes now, they're a professional outfit against amateurs and that's all.

How are you enjoying them lemons tonight? Bitter enough for you? Fenton is one of the the best footballers in the country and is head and shoulders the best midfielder in the game.  Kilkenny is probably the player of the year. Are you saying Cluxton is just an athlete?

Cluxton has been there ages, Kilkenny has been there for the last decade. Fenton has been there a few years now too, brilliant footballer although more on the athletic. I'm referring to the players coming through, no Connollys etc it's more to do with professionalism
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

lenny

Mayo pressed really well in the first half. For a couple of their points they could've maybe tried to work it in closer for a goal. At the start of the second half though when they had a spare man they allowed Dublin to keep possession for 3 or 4 minutes and didn't press them enough. Mansion and Howard coming off the bench made a massive difference as they are class players. Mayo didn't have that quality to bring on. Mayo play a brave, entertaining style of play and I'd love to see them win it next year.

Angelo

Quote from: 6th sam on December 19, 2020, 09:16:31 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 19, 2020, 09:05:25 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 19, 2020, 09:03:21 PM
I don't think Aidan O'Shea has improved as a footballer in any way over the past 8 years.

He's a carthorse.

Now he can be effective but he has extremely limited footballing ability.

I have been critical of Aodhán o'Se in the past but his stats Mark him
Out as outstanding , his performances are characterised by unselfishness , leadership and intelligence. Referees appear extremely hard on him imho. Surely nobody else has to suffer so many unpunished fouls and cards. What let Mayo down today was simply lack of ruthless product in front of their own goal and the opposition goal. This Mayo team Must win an All-ireland , for me they represent all that is good about the GAA

The question posed was has he developed as a footballer.

I think in terms of skills and still doing silly things he hasn't really since he broke into the team.

He's such a threatening physical force but I really don't think he made the most of it. He was a mixed bag tonight, some good things and a lot of silly things.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

sid waddell

Quote from: Angelo on December 19, 2020, 09:12:53 PM
When was the last time you saw a Dublin player hit an absolutely unbelievable score under big pressure?
McCaffrey v Kerry 2019
O'Callaghan v Mayo 2019
Mannion v Mayo 2019
Howard v Mayo 2019
McCarthy x 2 v Mayo 2017
Connolly v Mayo 2017
McManamon, O'Gara, Connolly v Kerry 2016
Brogan v Kerry 2015

If those scores are not good enough for you, then probably only Cillian O'Connor's points in 2016 and 2017 against Dublin meet your criteria for points scored in any match in Croke Park since 2014

Pressure on the man, extreme pressure in the situation

Armagh18

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on December 19, 2020, 07:06:35 PM
On a separate note, how Brian Howard was on the bench is scandalous. He was the best player on the pitch when he came on.
He'd be be a star man on any other team

dublin7

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on December 19, 2020, 09:30:45 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 19, 2020, 09:23:14 PM

Cluxton has been there ages, Kilkenny has been there for the last decade. Fenton has been there a few years now too, brilliant footballer although more on the athletic. I'm referring to the players coming through, no Connollys etc it's more to do with professionalism

Con is young player who can kick equally comfortably off either foot (like most of the Dublin footballers)

How many of the Mayo footballers can do that? Dublin do the basics brilliantly. How many of the Mayo forwards are more athletes than scoring forwards? Conroy is a player, but he never got a kick tonight. COC disappeared after the first 20 minutes. Did Mayo even score a point from play in the 2nd half?

The fact you think Fenton isn't much of a footballer and relies on his athleticism means you can't be taken seriously when judging players

dublin7

When was the last time you saw a Dublin player hit an absolutely unbelievable score under big pressure?

I'm thinking probably 2014 against Donegal when Flynn and Connolly hit some outstanding scores from play under big pressure.

But since then everything is about keeping the ball, being patient and using their superior conditioning to grind teams down and create easy scores.

I honestly don't think in terms of footballing ability there is too much between Mayo and Dublin, it's mainly the physicality level.

Coen and Carr took some very snatchy chances late on, Dublin never take those chances on. There was a hint of desparation to Mayo at that point as they weren't making any inroads. In truth Mayo were gassed at that point, the legs had gone as most teams who face Dublin find out in those last 20 minutes.

Dublin have all that money and perks that other counties don't have, that's how they are able to get that extra 20% in terms of conditioning, I have no doubt at all that it is because Dublin do train harder than the other counties. The other counties would love to be able to train as hard as Dublin and would be willing to do so but real life says that is not possible. How many of that Mayo team are generally based in Dublin, how many of them have actual proper jobs to go, with big commutes to get to training and back. Dublin's corporate power allows their players to solely dedicate themselves to football.

Mannion was a one man highlights reel last season. He kicked some amazing scores. Pick pretty much any game. He carried an injury into to the championship this year so didn't make the starting 15.

Usual paranoid nonsense from you that Dublin players don't have real jobs and are professional footballers. You were called out on this BS before but like the Covid thread you ignore the facts and continue to spout your idiotic theories. Just because you think something is true doesn't make it an actual fact

Angelo

Quote from: sid waddell on December 19, 2020, 09:38:20 PM
McCaffrey v Kerry 2019
O'Callaghan v Mayo 2019
Mannion v Mayo 2019
Howard v Mayo 2019
McCarthy x 2 v Mayo 2017
Connolly v Mayo 2017
McManamon, O'Gara, Connolly v Kerry 2016
Brogan v Kerry 2015

If those scores are not good enough for you, then probably only Cillian O'Connor's points in 2016 and 2017 against Dublin meet your criteria for points scored in any match in Croke Park since 2014

Pressure on the man, extreme pressure in the situation

Nope.

You're overegging them.

They might be great scores but they weren't under severe pressure. For example the McCaffrey goal, nobody could even get close enough to him to make a tackle and he was one on one with the keeper.

There's never an element of a player doing something amazing where he has to do it by himself. The last time I've seen Dublin do this is with Donegal in 2014. Ever since then it's like they walk it in, do not take on a shot if they are not high %. That's exactly what it was today, they just retain and recycle until the simple chance presents itself. Their complete confidence in their levels of conditioning to be able to grind a team down allows them to do this and execute it so well.

MayoBuck

Quote from: lenny on December 19, 2020, 09:32:12 PM

Mayo pressed really well in the first half. For a couple of their points they could've maybe tried to work it in closer for a goal. At the start of the second half though when they had a spare man they allowed Dublin to keep possession for 3 or 4 minutes and didn't press them enough. Mansion and Howard coming off the bench made a massive difference as they are class players. Mayo didn't have that quality to bring on. Mayo play a brave, entertaining style of play and I'd love to see them win it next year.

I said the same thing to the people beside me after Loftus's point. There was a goal on there and we had to go for it

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on December 19, 2020, 09:45:59 PM

I'm thinking probably 2014 against Donegal when Flynn and Connolly hit some outstanding scores from play under big pressure.

But since then everything is about keeping the ball, being patient and using their superior conditioning to grind teams down and create easy scores.

I honestly don't think in terms of footballing ability there is too much between Mayo and Dublin, it's mainly the physicality level.

Coen and Carr took some very snatchy chances late on, Dublin never take those chances on. There was a hint of desparation to Mayo at that point as they weren't making any inroads. In truth Mayo were gassed at that point, the legs had gone as most teams who face Dublin find out in those last 20 minutes.

Dublin have all that money and perks that other counties don't have, that's how they are able to get that extra 20% in terms of conditioning, I have no doubt at all that it is because Dublin do train harder than the other counties. The other counties would love to be able to train as hard as Dublin and would be willing to do so but real life says that is not possible. How many of that Mayo team are generally based in Dublin, how many of them have actual proper jobs to go, with big commutes to get to training and back. Dublin's corporate power allows their players to solely dedicate themselves to football.

Mannion was a one man highlights reel last season. He kicked some amazing scores. Pick pretty much any game. He carried an injury into to the championship this year so didn't make the starting 15.

Once again you are overegging it.

It's all high % shots that are taken. Recycle, recycle, recycle until such time as you have the easy chance. They did it all day over and over again today.

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on December 19, 2020, 09:45:59 PM

Usual paranoid nonsense from you that Dublin players don't have real jobs and are professional footballers. You were called out on this BS before but like the Covid thread you ignore the facts and continue to spout your idiotic theories. Just because you think something is true doesn't make it an actual fact

Ah the usual unionism from the Dubs over their unfair advantages. The last thing you want in the game is a level playing field.