AFL 2010

Started by Never beat the deeler, March 25, 2010, 10:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

The new season got out of the blocks last night (Thurs) with Carlton Blues soundly beating Richmond Tigers at the MCG.

Blues, who have sold their troublesome but prolific frontman Brendan Fevola, were also without skipper Chris Judd.

However, they spread around the goal scoring duties, with 9 different scorers and Setanta O Hailpin among those who top-scored with three goals.

Carlton have persevered with Setanta, who has played all over the field for them, but late last season it was as a target man he most impressed, and it looks like he will play a large part for them this season.

More here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/91077/default.aspx
Hasta la victoria siempre

Canalman

Best of luck to my old pals Collingwood......... the "Irish" team in Melbourne (not a coincidence that they are also the best supported).

Aerlik

Quote from: Canalman on March 26, 2010, 09:20:30 AM
the "Irish" team in Melbourne (not a coincidence that they are also the best supported).

Where did you get that from?

Perhaps you might ask them to support their team outside the MCG.  Some think they need passports to go to away games.

Richmond are going to have a very painful season.  The drugcheat is still with them, but he is under suspicion concerning the death of West Coast great, Chris Mainwaring.  He was the last person to see Mainy, and noticed a plate of cocaine in his room, before he left.    yeah right....
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Canalman

Common knowledge in Melbourne that the Magpies were the traditional Irish/Catholic team in the Melbourne area. With the passage of time I suppose this has mellowed.

Lived in Melbourne for a while and was told this by a number of people. A team loved/loathed by many so I can understand why some Irish in Oz don't like this   "Irish " connection especially if they loathe them.

stephenite

Nicholas Murphy must have paid one of the St. Kildas lads to exact revenge on his behalf - Kennelly got flattened from behing and had to be helped from the pitch with concussion

Not a bad performance from the Swans considering some of the big names they've lost. Once they start to gel they should be in contention for a finals berth

JimStynes

Big win for the pies over early premiership favourites western bulldogs. Marty Clarke is bound to look at these games and say what the f**k did i come home for.  Aerlik will be a happy man if Freo can hang on here against the Crows.

Aerlik

Hi there Jim, I'm not long in from the game and what a turn around in a few short months.  We won by 56 points and had some excellent performances all around the place, most notably from Barlow who broke the AFL record (since 1994 that is) for most possessions by a debutant.
Chris Mayne was powerful, despite his woeful kicking in the first quarter and Stephen Hill has got some engine.  Sandilands was on the ground for 95 of the first 97 minutes, took a break and was back in the thick of it.

Second on the ladder.  Long may it last. ;D

stiffler

Anyone know what AFL Coverage there is on tv over here?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Club Rossa

Easy win for Hawthorn,hammered Melbourne by 56 points.

Johnnie99

Quote from: stiffler on March 28, 2010, 03:51:00 PM
Anyone know what AFL Coverage there is on tv over here?

From espn,

Live Australian Football League (AFL)
Live and exclusive coverage of up to 3 matches a week plus highlights from the AFL including the 4-week finals series culminating with the Grand Final. The AFL is one of Australia's most popular sports and its competition is the second most attended sporting competition in the world.

Aerlik

Quote from: Johnnie99 on March 29, 2010, 01:54:16 PM
The AFL is one of Australia's most popular sports and its competition is the second most attended sporting competition in the world.

In terms of participation, I'd say swimming would be more popular if one were to ask what sports an Aussie participated in, however, footy is light years ahead of the NRL and Super 14, and galaxies ahead of soccer.

I wonder if the last comment about refers to the AFL Grand Final?

mick999

Quote from: stephenite on March 28, 2010, 11:43:07 AM
Nicholas Murphy must have paid one of the St. Kildas lads to exact revenge on his behalf - Kennelly got flattened from behing and had to be helped from the pitch with concussion

More on Kennelly here :

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2010/03/29/kennelly-felled-by-sickening-blows-in-swans-defeat/2671

Any video of it anywhere ??

stephenite

Quote from: mick999 on March 29, 2010, 04:19:33 PM
Quote from: stephenite on March 28, 2010, 11:43:07 AM

More on Kennelly here :

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2010/03/29/kennelly-felled-by-sickening-blows-in-swans-defeat/2671

Any video of it anywhere ??

Had a look for it but couldn't find it

JimStynes

See big Setanta kicked 4 goals today although Carlton still got beat by the Lions. Setanta looks like hes starting to get the hang of this Aussie Rules craic.