The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Very sad.

Was on RTE news yesterday, so I'd imagine the backlash in Irish media against MMA/UFC will be very big over the next few days.

Apparently McGregor, who was in attendance, said the fight should have been stopped earlier. It was the 3rd round, and I'm not sure what happened in the early rounds, but the last minute of the fight is up on sportsjoe.ie. From my limited knowledge of the sport, the ref seemed to end it at pretty much the right time. Carvalho was protecting himself but was throwing nothing back and had no chance of escape. In hindsight you could argue the ref could have stopped it 2 or 3 seconds earlier.

Carvalho seemed fine immediately after the fight and walked back to his dressing room unaided. It was only when there that things started going downhill, rapidly.

ballinaman

Quote from: Hound on April 12, 2016, 12:46:53 PM

Carvalho seemed fine immediately after the fight and walked back to his dressing room unaided. It was only when there that things started going downhill, rapidly.
Seems like a case of "talk and die syndrome". A epidural hematoma in the brain occurs after a menigeal artery is damaged...blood starts to pool increasing intracranial pressure leading to death.

mikehunt

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2016, 12:41:53 PM
To be fair, we've had serious injuries and deaths following boxing bouts, so I'm not going to pontificate about this tragedy. I just think in MMA, refs have to be trigger happy to stop the sort of punishment being meted out.

Forgot about the ref actually. He'll have sleepless nights and a lot of "if only" questions. Damned if they stop it early and damned if they don't.

macdanger2

INDIANA

Quote from: gallsman on April 01, 2016, 09:08:51 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2016, 08:46:26 AM
I just wonder how big a factor did the weight play in the last fight?  What weight would McGregor have been at when it was decided that Diaz was the opponent and that it would be at 170?  Was he simply not used to carrying that weight in a fight hence the blow out, or was it a combination of that and the fact that he just expected to blow through Diaz like he did with the FWs?  Surely he will have been training and getting used to carrying that weight since March, plus you would think that he won't simply go for the kill from the first bell either.  But why (other than ego) has he not pushed for the fight to be at 155?

There's no reason other than ego. He wants top best Diaz under the same conditions and keep the dream alive of a WW title shot or GSP super fight at some stage.

Diaz claimed least week that if McGregor had won, they'd have announced GSP's return for a fight against him. That fight would be far, far bigger than a title fight against Lawler.

McGregor will handle the cardio aspect of 170 much better in the summer after a camp of training for a WW fight. Diaz will be much better prepared too though.

I don't see the relevance of the cardio debate here. Diaz does tri-athlete's in his sleep. So cardio is zero advantage here.

Mc Gregor has to bulk up for this weight. As we saw in the first bout he loses all his mobility by doing it. Diaz is the bigger man- sometimes size matters.

He spars with Andre Ward and is a black belt ju jitsu artist

So to sum up. Mc Gregor's biggest strengths are his boxing skills and his movement. He has an average ground game

He's fighting a bigger man, who is a better boxer and an expert ju jitsu artist and has probably a better cardio output then he has.

He can only win this fight if Diaz has an off night. Other then that he's going to lose.

An exercise in vanity in my opinion ( all be it a rich one)

gallsman

McGregor completely gassed inside a round and a half last time out and you don't see the relevance of cardio to the debate? Good one.

INDIANA

Quote from: gallsman on April 13, 2016, 09:51:47 PM
McGregor completely gassed inside a round and a half last time out and you don't see the relevance of cardio to the debate? Good one.

Gassing out had nothing to do with losing. You keep hanging onto that one .

Beaten by a bigger and yes better man

The Iceman

Quote from: INDIANA on April 13, 2016, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 13, 2016, 09:51:47 PM

Gassing out had nothing to do with losing. You keep hanging onto that one .

Beaten by a bigger and yes better man
It have everything to do with the loss. He took Diaz down because he was exhausted, hoping to ride out the rest of the round. As soon as it hit the ground it was over.....
Cardio will play a huge part in the rematch.

Very sad news about the death of the fighter in Ireland. i've watched the footage online and I don't know how anyone would foresee what happened. It wasn't a one sided affair by any means...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

What's this about? I presume some sort of marketing thing?
From McGregor' twitter...

I have decided to retire young.
Thanks for the cheese.
Catch ya's later.

Harold Disgracey

I hope he has his Twitter notifications turned off.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 19, 2016, 07:50:43 PM
What's this about? I presume some sort of marketing thing?
From McGregor' twitter...

I have decided to retire young.
Thanks for the cheese.
Catch ya's later.

messing with the idiots on Twitter no doubt

AZOffaly

Probably although it's a little too soon after that lad died, if he is just trolling.

Gabriel_Hurl

Weren't there some Snapchat pictures going round a while back of him "enjoying the Vegas lifestyle" as well?

Boycey

His trainer in on it too??

"Well was fun while it lasted"

INDIANA

Wouldn't surprise me. He's talked himself into a re-match he's going to lose. And he probably realises that now.

Still is he going to walk away from 15m? He only has to turn up to get that.