The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic

Nate Diaz Vs Rory MacDonald UFC 129 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zHBX-2RvXc

Some throws by MacDonald!!! He took Nate to suplex city in round 3 lol
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

AZOffaly

Sorry Iceman, I got sidetracked last night. I'm not mixing up real life and TV, thanks for the suggestion :), but I think you might be juxtaposing the Combat and Sports words to infer what is and isn't a 'sport'. To me, you are absolutely right, things like Karate, Judo, Boxing, etc etc, evolved from combat disciplines. But that is the key word, evolved. The aim of combat is to maim, kill, injure, disable or neutralise your opponent, in a military context. Sport is about proving you are the better man in a particular skillset or discipline. My own personal opinion is you do not have to carry the over aggressive 'combat' elements to prove that. And that is why those sports have evolved into point scoring, basically demonstrating the mastery over the attacking and defensive techniques, in a mano a mano scenario. Of course blows are struck, and people are hurt, but by and large it is designed to emphasise the skill, bravery and tactics of the discipline, and minimise the battlefield damage that was originally part of the martial art.

My issue with MMA is that it has reverted back, to a certain extent, a more 'anything goes' type of affair, reintroducing the 'combat' elements deliberately to try and excite the fans with violence. That is why I feel it is more 'Combat' than 'Sport', while the original component sports are more 'Sport' than 'Combat'.

I appreciate you like the MMA, and I certainly think the protagonists are brave men and women, but I just don't think it falls under what I consider the boundaries of sport.

gallsman

One of the lads mentioned the key word on the previous page - spectacle. It's a spectacle as much as a sport. People like iceman who can appreciate the technicalities and finesse of BJJ or wrestling etc would, I suspect, be in the minority. Most want to see blood and guts.

doodaa

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2016, 04:54:19 PM
I don't think you answered my question. I quite like boxing. I can watch Thai kick boxing and not be put off. I just can't think of a martial art which allows the ground moves including the elbows and knees to the face of a prone man. My aversion to the MMA is that element of it.

If its a prone man ie not able to defend themselves then really the ref should have stepped in by that point. I agree it doesn't look good but is it often the case that this happens? Usually the man on the ground is putting up a defence and the ref steps in when its deemed he isn't.
MMA always looks a lot more brutal than boxing purely because the hands aren't as well padded leading to quicker cuts/ blood everywhere etc. I think if I competed I would prefer that to the repeated blunt force of boxing which would lead to much worse injuries/ illnesses in the long term.
That's not to say a MMA fighter wont go on to develop any of those illnesses, just its probably less likely.

gallsman

Quote from: doodaa on March 23, 2016, 10:29:01 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2016, 04:54:19 PM
I don't think you answered my question. I quite like boxing. I can watch Thai kick boxing and not be put off. I just can't think of a martial art which allows the ground moves including the elbows and knees to the face of a prone man. My aversion to the MMA is that element of it.

If its a prone man ie not able to defend themselves then really the ref should have stepped in by that point. I agree it doesn't look good but is it often the case that this happens? Usually the man on the ground is putting up a defence and the ref steps in when its deemed he isn't.
MMA always looks a lot more brutal than boxing purely because the hands aren't as well padded leading to quicker cuts/ blood everywhere etc. I think if I competed I would prefer that to the repeated blunt force of boxing which would lead to much worse injuries/ illnesses in the long term.
That's not to say a MMA fighter wont go on to develop any of those illnesses, just its probably less likely.

I think the problem is that it's not just fists that agent as heavily padded. Ground and pound with forearms, elbow smashes etc could cause serious damage and there have been some really high profile reffing c**k-ups recently. I still don't know how Herb Dean didn't stop Weidman-Rockhold in the third.

The Iceman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdRLvldfg7I

LHW Champion Jone Jones vrs Daniel Cormier, Good fight - might give some of you a better idea of the blend of styles that makes up the sport.

This fight will be re-matched later in April.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gawa316

A lot of Diaz McGregor rumors going around for 200. Any truth in it?

Surely it has to be at 155 for McGregor to have a chance? What would McGregor's thinking be behind taking this fight (other than the money)? He gets to immediately right a wrong? Surely he will have to give up his belt?

The Iceman

Quote from: gawa316 on March 29, 2016, 05:30:50 PM
A lot of Diaz McGregor rumors going around for 200. Any truth in it?

Surely it has to be at 155 for McGregor to have a chance? What would McGregor's thinking be behind taking this fight (other than the money)? He gets to immediately right a wrong? Surely he will have to give up his belt?

I think it's a smart business move for him. If he goes back down to 145 to fight Aldo or Edgar he misses out on the Diaz fight which is a big money fight going on the first one.  If he loses to Diaz again then it's a failed experiment at 170 and he can still have the Edgar or Aldo fights...
Put your money on Diaz - he's opened again as the underdog.

Edgar will eat him for breakfast if McGregor can't catch him on the feet and Aldo knows how to beat him now - he will try and take the fight to the ground where his superior BJJ will help. 
I still think the Aldo fight is a 50:50 matchup. But Edgar beats him 9 times out of 10.

He may give up the belt and open up an Edgar - Aldo fight where he fights the winner.... either way his bank account wins...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Didnt get the chance to give my 2p's worth at the time but I was never as glad to see that twerp get his arse handed to him.

Im sure yous discussed it at the time Iceman but it looked to me like McGregor had given your man his best shots and then couldnt take his punches and went to ground to get a submission instead of being knocked out? Fair assessment? 

The Iceman

Quote from: omaghjoe on March 29, 2016, 05:55:13 PM
Didnt get the chance to give my 2p's worth at the time but I was never as glad to see that twerp get his arse handed to him.

Im sure yous discussed it at the time Iceman but it looked to me like McGregor had given your man his best shots and then couldnt take his punches and went to ground to get a submission instead of being knocked out? Fair assessment?

I don't think he went to the ground to be submitted? His bell was rung and in desperation he went for a takedown to take a rest. He took down the wrong man.

It would have been an extremely smart and calculated move to take the submission loss over a TKO to avoid a lengthy medical suspension.... I don't know if McGregor did that - if he did he is a genius

omaghjoe

Quote from: The Iceman on March 29, 2016, 05:58:21 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on March 29, 2016, 05:55:13 PM

I don't think he went to the ground to be submitted? His bell was rung and in desperation he went for a takedown to take a rest. He took down the wrong man.

It would have been an extremely smart and calculated move to take the submission loss over a TKO to avoid a lengthy medical suspension.... I don't know if McGregor did that - if he did he is a genius

Fair enuff i dont know much about the sport and I do have anti Mc Gregor glasses on. I just thought there was no fight in him once he went down but if yer man was handy on the floor he may have made it look like that.

DuffleKing

McGregor Diaz rematch confirmed for UFC 200.

170? Doesn't make sense from McGregor's perspective.

Gabriel_Hurl

And Aldo us fighting Edgar for the interim 145lb title.

Why are they fighting for the interim title? That's stupid.

gallsman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 31, 2016, 01:09:14 AM
And Aldo us fighting Edgar for the interim 145lb title.

Why are they fighting for the interim title? That's stupid.

Because McGregor will have taken two flights outside the weight division since becoming champion and odds of him every defending 145 are increasingly slim. I think it's fair enough

screenexile