The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: mikehunt on March 22, 2016, 04:08:57 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2016, 03:48:46 PM
I understand that people like it. I also understand that there are rules. I would also have no issue with boxing, karate, judo or anything else like that. My problem with MMA is that it seems to encourage very violent striking and the combination of disciplines leads to a seriously violent form of contest, which I feel is not what any of the constituent sports would recognise.

MMA, UFC, wrestling, baxin, bare knuckle baxin etc are not sports. They are one thing and one thing only, fighting. Beating your opponent by combination of skill, speed, agility, tactics is sport. Beating them with fists, knees, elbows and choking is fighting.  People can cod themselves that they are sports but they're legalised pub brawls.
you just described all the UFC champions....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Iceman on March 22, 2016, 03:59:05 PM
I understand that people like it. I also understand that there are rules. I would also have no issue with boxing, karate, judo or anything else like that. My problem with MMA is that it seems to encourage very violent striking and the combination of disciplines leads to a seriously violent form of contest, which I feel is not what any of the constituent sports would recognise.
I don't understand your point here.  Are you saying that Karate would not be a fan of the violence of MMA? Or Thai boxing would shake their head at the violence? Or traditional boxing would weep at someone being choked unconscious?

My question, rather than point, is which one of the sports would recognize itself in holding a man down and elbowing him in the face? I think MMA is far more violent than any of the individual disciplines which make it up. And I think that is because MMA as a spectator sport wants the violence.

mikehunt

Quote from: The Iceman on March 22, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

MMA, UFC, wrestling, baxin, bare knuckle baxin etc are not sports. They are one thing and one thing only, fighting. Beating your opponent by combination of skill, speed, agility, tactics is sport. Beating them with fists, knees, elbows and choking is fighting.  People can cod themselves that they are sports but they're legalised pub brawls.

A yes or no answer please; are there any UFC Champions who have not used fist, knee, elbow or choking to win their belt?

The Iceman

Quote from: mikehunt on March 22, 2016, 04:35:33 PM

A yes or no answer please; are there any UFC Champions who have not used fist, knee, elbow or choking to win their belt?

Are their any champions league winners who have not used their feet, knees, or head to win?
Bizarre question mike......
Speed, skill, ability and tactics win all sporting competitions but not without the tools of the trade and don't forget a bit of heart, guts and a sprinkling of luck
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2016, 04:33:29 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 22, 2016, 03:59:05 PM
I don't understand your point here.  Are you saying that Karate would not be a fan of the violence of MMA? Or Thai boxing would shake their head at the violence? Or traditional boxing would weep at someone being choked unconscious?

My question, rather than point, is which one of the sports would recognize itself in holding a man down and elbowing him in the face? I think MMA is far more violent than any of the individual disciplines which make it up. And I think that is because MMA as a spectator sport wants the violence.
I like a standup battle - as much as the next man - I also enjoy the technicality of a chess match on the ground between two grappler's at the top of their game.  The majority of casual fans dont understand that side of the sport...
In Thai boxing you can hold and elbow to the head while standing, or hold the back of the neck and knee repeatedly to the face...
We all want violence! Do you turn off the tv when there are fistycuffs at a match? Or do you cheer your team on like everyone else? Come on now....

the martial arts were designed for combat, kill or be killed.  Anyone who participates and immerses themselves in martial arts dont do so because they are seeking a peaceful path.... its so they are ready for all and every situation...

AZOffaly

I don't think you answered my question. I quite like boxing. I can watch Thai kick boxing and not be put off. I just can't think of a martial art which allows the ground moves including the elbows and knees to the face of a prone man. My aversion to the MMA is that element of it.

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2016, 04:54:19 PM
I don't think you answered my question. I quite like boxing. I can watch Thai kick boxing and not be put off. I just can't think of a martial art which allows the ground moves including the elbows and knees to the face of a prone man. My aversion to the MMA is that element of it.
whats the difference to striking a man with a knee in the face or elbow to the face while he is standing? versus while he is on his back? it's proven you generate more force and cause more damage while standing.....
all the ground fighting arts allow for strikes and promote strikes....

AZOffaly

It's harder to move and defend yourself on your back. You are vulnerable. Sinking an elbow onto a lads face as you pin him to the ground is not very sporting 😃  maybe I dont watch enough but I've never seen that level of violence in judo, karate, boxing, wrestling or anything else I can think of. I think that blood lust is an MMA invention.

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2016, 04:59:43 PM
It's harder to move and defend yourself on your back. You are vulnerable. Sinking an elbow onto a lads face as you pin him to the ground is not very sporting 😃  maybe I dont watch enough but I've never seen that level of violence in judo, karate, boxing, wrestling or anything else I can think of. I think that blood lust is an MMA invention.
these other martial arts dont have TV coverage because they have point fighting - but when you are taught them you're taught to inflict as much damage on your opponent as posisble... I think you're confusing tv with sport..... martial arts point fighting for TV is not real martial arts  - Tae Kwon Do - pillow strikes and tippy tap kicks - those "martial artists" are destroyed by any trained fighter...
the grappling you see in judo for the olymoics is only one side of the art. There are strikes and chokes and broken limbs....

mikehunt

Quote from: The Iceman on March 22, 2016, 04:43:31 PM

Are their any champions league winners who have not used their feet, knees, or head to win?
Speed, skill, ability and tactics win all sporting competitions but not without the tools of the trade and don't forget a bit of heart, guts and a sprinkling of luck

u didn't answer the question. There's a difference between kicking a ball and kicking someone in the head. The former is sport, the latter is fighting.

The Iceman

Quote from: mikehunt on March 22, 2016, 05:05:16 PM

u didn't answer the question. There's a difference between kicking a ball and kicking someone in the head. The former is sport, the latter is fighting.
why bring kicking in to it - you said skill speed tactics and agility - all of which are traits of the champions in the UFC
these are the traits of the best in all sports whether they kick a ball, dunk a ball, row a boat, box, wrestle, grapple, golf, or compete in any combat sport

laoislad

Djimi Traore.
He was useless with all of the above.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mikehunt

Quote from: The Iceman on March 22, 2016, 05:30:08 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on March 22, 2016, 05:05:16 PM

why bring kicking in to it - you said skill speed tactics and agility - all of which are traits of the champions in the UFC
these are the traits of the best in all sports whether they kick a ball, dunk a ball, row a boat, box, wrestle, grapple, golf, or compete in any combat sport
Your staunch belief that fighting is a sport leads me to believe you have suffered  numerous boots to the head. It also has impacted your short term memory as u have forgotten to answer my question despite being prompted twice. You should take up something less dangerous. Maybe a sport or a game like snooker or darts. This fighting lark is not good for your health.

Syferus

The Iceman

mikehunt it's a bit of redundant question. And me answering yes doesn't prove anything or add to the conversation....
please contribute with a point that makes sense....