The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

Lads, serious question, how is this 'sport'?

The Iceman

Could you post the International Rules biggest hits video on youtube and ask if it's sport? Or the armagh cavan brawl?
This is an isolated incident of poor decision making by the referee. The fighter in mount actually looked at the ref as if to say are you going to stop this?
A fighter must do two things when under attack like this or it will be stopped by the ref -they have to intelligently defend themselves and try to advance the position.  It actually was the reverse of what happened in this exact fight earlier.  The taller man got rocked but protected himself, tried to get out of the position and the referee let him.  In this case - the fighter on the bottom is a cuban who was adopted by the aussies and the fight was in australia and the ref showed some bias i believe and let it happen....

MMA is fighting AZ. Fighting with some regulations.
It's as close to the purest sport men have engaged in for 1000s of years - who is the best.  It's why you wrestle with your siblings growing up, box with the boys in school and strip to your vest on a saturday night after a few pints and challenge the Lawler's of the local town.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

lurganblue

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 21, 2016, 04:10:55 PM
Lads, serious question, how is this 'sport'?

Always been more of a boxing fan myself, but was gifted tickets to go to see the UFC in Krakow while over on a stag last year.  Thoroughly enjoyed the whole event and i must say it converted me a little.  Boxing is still superior for me but i can nolonger cast UFC aside as pile of sh*te.

Anyway, surely if McGregor's next fight is rematch against Diaz then he will have to vacate his title?

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Iceman on March 21, 2016, 06:27:30 PM
Could you post the International Rules biggest hits video on youtube and ask if it's sport? Or the armagh cavan brawl?
This is an isolated incident of poor decision making by the referee. The fighter in mount actually looked at the ref as if to say are you going to stop this?
A fighter must do two things when under attack like this or it will be stopped by the ref -they have to intelligently defend themselves and try to advance the position.  It actually was the reverse of what happened in this exact fight earlier.  The taller man got rocked but protected himself, tried to get out of the position and the referee let him.  In this case - the fighter on the bottom is a cuban who was adopted by the aussies and the fight was in australia and the ref showed some bias i believe and let it happen....

MMA is fighting AZ. Fighting with some regulations.
It's as close to the purest sport men have engaged in for 1000s of years - who is the best.  It's why you wrestle with your siblings growing up, box with the boys in school and strip to your vest on a saturday night after a few pints and challenge the Lawler's of the local town.....

Are you seriously equating a big hit in the AFL within the rules with this? 

AZOffaly

Sorry Iceman, I'll write a better reply. I was on the phone earlier. I have a problem with MMA because it actively encourages what I would see as pure dirt. Elbowing a lad in the face, knees in the face, holding a lad on the ground, punching on the back of the head, choking, etc etc.  I just have an aversion to beating a guy on the ground who is basically helpless, and that seems to be fine in MMA. I'm not sure which of the Martial Arts actually encourage that?

To me, very little differentiates it from a street brawl, and that's why I can't take to it as a sport, and why I'm not so sure I would like young lads watching it and trying to impersonate their heroes on the green.

The Iceman

Thanks for the response. I wasn't equating it to AFL - I was saying you can't post an isolated video and use that to showcase the sport.....

that being said..... Strikes to the back of the head are illegal - the referee should issue a warning, then deduct a point then disqualify for persistent fouls.  The same goes for eye gouging, fish hooking, groin strikes, particular elbows thrown from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock on a downed opponent, kneeing or kicking in the face while an opponent has 3 limbs touching the ground.....

In the video you posted everyone agrees the fight should have been stopped. The man on top wasn't landing heavy strikes (it's quite difficult to generate a lot of power from your knees) and the guy on the ground was talking to the referee and giving him two thumbs up that he was fine. Still the strikes were unanswered and he wasn't advancing his position so to my point in another post, the fight should have been stopped.  That's the referee's job - not the fighters. Just like in boxing if a fighter is on the ropes and the other man is hitting him over and over again and the fighter stays on his feet but is out - it's up to the ref.  We've seen it happen countless times but don't discount boxing as a sport.

All martial arts come from hand to hand combat systems.  These were designed for war originally and battle.  They have them in nearly every country in the world.  Their own system or variation of a system.
When the UFC started it was to answer the question "who would win"  Which system is better?  Boxing versus Karate, Wrestling versus Kickboxing......It evolved into the sport it is today as fighters adopted the most effective styles - BJJ, Thai Boxing and submission grappling.  Mixed Martial Arts.

Now the sport is the ultimate sport the ultimate test - one on one - who wins.  You played football  -you enjoyed winning, being the better team but surely you enjoyed the individual battle with your marker?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

I did. I'm not so sure I would have enjoyed my marker elbowing me in the face, kneeing me in the head, or trying to choke me out though :)

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2016, 03:13:01 PM
I did. I'm not so sure I would have enjoyed my marker elbowing me in the face, kneeing me in the head, or trying to choke me out though :)
but you had no problem throwing the odd dig I'd imagine or going toe to toe if the occasion called for it?  Why was that?

AZOffaly

Not on a lad lying on the ground I didn't. In fact there are few things worse in my view.

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2016, 03:22:53 PM
Not on a lad lying on the ground I didn't. In fact there are few things worse in my view.
But thats because in football, lads on their back don't know how to defend themselves. I will lay down on my back and welcome you to my world and I'm not even that good! LOL
I remember the first time I found out McGeeney was training in BJJ - it was during an International Rules match, he was on his back and this Aussie landed on him and grabbed him by the throat.  McGeeney executed a perfect sweep, advanced to side control and had a neck crank sunk in before the fella knew what hit him.

In MMA these fighters are trained in all areas. Or should be. If you understood the rules, or tried some training yourself you would appreciate it more. Like any sport. 

You don't have to like it.  I'm defending the fact that it is a sport, with rules and regulations and participants who show respect and shake hands after the battle.

Asal Mor

It's an awesome spectacle and makes boxing look a bit dull and one-dimensional. I imagine there will be big consequences for a lot of these fighters when they get older, but they should be allowed to what they want with their own bodies.

AZOffaly

I understand that people like it. I also understand that there are rules. I would also have no issue with boxing, karate, judo or anything else like that. My problem with MMA is that it seems to encourage very violent striking and the combination of disciplines leads to a seriously violent form of contest, which I feel is not what any of the constituent sports would recognise.

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2016, 03:48:46 PM
I understand that people like it. I also understand that there are rules. I would also have no issue with boxing, karate, judo or anything else like that. My problem with MMA is that it seems to encourage very violent striking and the combination of disciplines leads to a seriously violent form of contest, which I feel is not what any of the constituent sports would recognise.
I don't understand your point here.  Are you saying that Karate would not be a fan of the violence of MMA? Or Thai boxing would shake their head at the violence? Or traditional boxing would weep at someone being choked unconscious?

mikehunt

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2016, 03:48:46 PM

MMA, UFC, wrestling, baxin, bare knuckle baxin etc are not sports. They are one thing and one thing only, fighting. Beating your opponent by combination of skill, speed, agility, tactics is sport. Beating them with fists, knees, elbows and choking is fighting.  People can cod themselves that they are sports but they're legalised pub brawls.