The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: JoG2 on March 06, 2016, 09:12:02 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 06, 2016, 09:07:39 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 06, 2016, 09:06:15 AM
That's a seriously brutal sport.  Did mcgregor take the foot off the gas in the 2nd thinking it was in the bag and let his guard down? That left on the chin was a clinker

How any man can question any of those hooers tapping out beggars belief! 

Is it a macho thing to not wipe the blood away during rounds?

I wasn't questioning it. I just said, he tapped out and Holm didn't!

Mon now,  you were having a go. Those boys are brave to a point being buck mad.   That's the 2nd ufc fight I've watched and will be prob be my last,  too frigging savage.

I seriously wasn't having a go! I think McGregor is great but you have to acknowledge the efforts of a woman who is prepared to let herself go unconscious than tap out. I just found the comparison interesting, especially given what McGregor has said in the past.
That was never a square ball!!

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 06, 2016, 09:16:08 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 06, 2016, 09:12:02 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 06, 2016, 09:07:39 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 06, 2016, 09:06:15 AM
That's a seriously brutal sport.  Did mcgregor take the foot off the gas in the 2nd thinking it was in the bag and let his guard down? That left on the chin was a clinker

How any man can question any of those hooers tapping out beggars belief! 

Is it a macho thing to not wipe the blood away during rounds?

I wasn't questioning it. I just said, he tapped out and Holm didn't!

Mon now,  you were having a go. Those boys are brave to a point being buck mad.   That's the 2nd ufc fight I've watched and will be prob be my last,  too frigging savage.

I seriously wasn't having a go! I think McGregor is great but you have to acknowledge the efforts of a woman who is prepared to let herself go unconscious than tap out. I just found the comparison interesting, especially given what McGregor has said in the past.

Fair enough.  I watched that Holm fight as well,    didn't know that was allowed.  Barbaric

HiMucker

Holly Holm was definitely trying to tap out. 
Mc Gregor was in complete control up to point he got rocked with a big left.  His legs went and to be honest I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did after that.  I think Diaz was also wrecked or would have been able to finish it straight away after nailing him. 

Asal Mor

Quote from: The Iceman on February 24, 2016, 03:06:37 PM
I'd say Diaz is about 185 right now if he was willing to cut to 165. I think CMG is taking a risk even with those extra 5lbs. I would have forced Diaz to cut the weight if he wanted the money.
I don't think Diaz has ever been KO'd? Maybe 1 stoppage by TKO but of late he has been very durable.  His reach advantage will give mcgregor trouble and he has great boxing skills.  He doesnt kick that much and when he does theres nothing behind them so look for Mcgregor to use a lot of kicks to maintain range and keep diaz thinking
Diaz is an elite BJJ black belt if he clinches with Conor and brings him to the mat this will be over fast - big risk - fair play they both took the fight - I'll go with Diaz on this one
Iceman called it all last week. Fair play.

Angus

What happened between McGregor and Diaz was really a shock to everyone. Though, Diaz' size is really an advantage.

Asal Mor

I think post-fight McGregor once again showed a lot of class. His comments about the Aldo tweet made Aldo look pretty pathetic.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 06, 2016, 10:09:11 AM
I think post-fight McGregor once again showed a lot of class. His comments about the Aldo tweet made Aldo look pretty pathetic.

To be fair, he has always been magnanimous in victory and took the defeat with class.  Missed that about Aldo, what did he say?
That was never a square ball!!

gallsman

Quote from: Angus on March 06, 2016, 10:01:02 AM
What happened between McGregor and Diaz was really a shock to everyone. Though, Diaz' size is really an advantage.

Not really, it was called on here and in plenty of other places that if it went to the mat, it was Diaz's fight.

Long term, McGregor will have to forget about Robbie Lawler and most likely an immediate LW title shot. He'll probably be forced to make the cut to FW again to fight Edgar at 200 (which I don't think he'd ever planned on) before getting any sort of look at LW. If he vacates, he'll have to take and win a few at LW (Poirier rematch maybe?) before getting a shot.

Medic

All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

Asal Mor

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 06, 2016, 10:13:34 AM

To be fair, he has always been magnanimous in victory and took the defeat with class.  Missed that about Aldo, what did he say?
Aldo tweeted
"See ya at #UFC200, @TheNotoriousMMA. Your fairy tale is over. You got nowhere to run now. Time to a rematch, p***y."

McGregor said:
"He had an opportunity to show up here and he didn't... he could be sitting where Nate is sitting right now. He said any time, any place, anywhere and then it wasn't any time, any place, anywhere.
"Now another man gets a victory over me and he celebrates it, that's the sign of a loser, that's the sign of a runner-up... that's not the sign of a champion."
"I know there's a lot of people celebrating this, celebrating another man's victory. I cannot understand that.

Medic

All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

trileacman

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 06, 2016, 11:44:41 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 06, 2016, 10:13:34 AM

Aldo tweeted
"See ya at #UFC200, @TheNotoriousMMA. Your fairy tale is over. You got nowhere to run now. Time to a rematch, p***y."

McGregor said:
"He had an opportunity to show up here and he didn't... he could be sitting where Nate is sitting right now. He said any time, any place, anywhere and then it wasn't any time, any place, anywhere.
"Now another man gets a victory over me and he celebrates it, that's the sign of a loser, that's the sign of a runner-up... that's not the sign of a champion."
"I know there's a lot of people celebrating this, celebrating another man's victory. I cannot understand that.
People like to see you beat because you're a mouth. McGregor not "understanding" the fact people don't like him is like Ricey wondering what he ever did to annoy people.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

imtommygunn

I think mcgregor is right here though...

TF15

When McGregor reflects on his life from a few years ago I'm sure it'll soften the blow. He's no longer on the dole aspiring to fight in the UFC. He's a multi millionaire who is still champion at 145.

His confidence was ultimately his downfall. It was foolish to take the fight not making Diaz cut any weight. He gave Diaz maximum opportunity to perform to his best. Whileeee was noble it was foolish as he was moving up a weight class. Diaz size and reach advantage had a massive advantage as McGregor had to look inside for uppercuts rather than straight shots as Diaz reach was beating him to the punch. Also, McGregors power clearly didn't carry the same effectiveness at the higher weight. Diaz never looked dazed or in trouble.

Lastly, McGregor rated his chin too highly. Standing and trading with a naturally bigger man with little to no defence is career suicide. He can do it at 145 as the shots don't trouble him but with bigger men you can't do that.

A humbling night for McGregor, how this affects his persona/mind games/mystique will be interesting. If I'm him I stay at 145 for as long as he can physically make weight. Weight classes in MMA are much more difficult to jump than in boxing and should be respected.

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 06, 2016, 12:02:52 PM
I think mcgregor is right here though...

Definitely. Aldo issued a ridiculous statement in January and then backed away when he got the call. To subsequently come out with that was a bit sad and desperate.