The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 13, 2015, 10:14:10 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 09:54:27 PM
Whats Ricey got to do with this?

what's the difference between him and Mc Gregor?

What's Ricey got to do with this?

Who were the other Tyrone boys involved with the dogs you mentioned earlier?

The only reason you've a problem with Mc Gregor is that he's a Dub. You referenced his pre fight behaviour as scandalous. I'm asking you why you don't apply the same standards to the footballers that represent your county who engage in far worse behaviour then Mc Gregor.

i've yet to see Mc Gregor bite anyone in the ring yet

Asal Mor

Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 02:12:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 13, 2015, 12:54:26 PM
I'd say it was to the Irish begrudgers, although he should have done it for a lot longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7r-DwtjD8

We should be proud of this true sportsman alright! ::)

That video is class. Funniest thing I've seen in a while.

stew

If I was training an opponent in cmg's the first thing I would do would be to show him tape of Ali and how he behaved prior to some of his bouts, then I would show him Tysons pre fight interviews and ask him what he learned from those exercises, based on his response I think you could get an idea of how the fight was going to go.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

bennydorano

Quote from: INDIANA on December 13, 2015, 11:15:48 PM

The only reason you've a problem with Mc Gregor is that he's a Dub. You referenced his pre fight behaviour as scandalous. I'm asking you why you don't apply the same standards to the footballers that represent your county who engage in far worse behaviour then Mc Gregor.

Narf narf

Gaffer

Quote from: screenexile on December 13, 2015, 11:15:32 PM

Well you said we shouldn't support McGregor because of his disgusting behaviour ... Blah blah blah which is just a bit of hypocritical given Tyrone and particularly Riceys antics over the years!

Where did I say that others should not support McGregor because of his disgusting behaviour?

And where did I say that I supported the bad behaviour of any Gaa player?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Gaffer

The only person I saw biting anyone in the ring was Tyson. But what has that to do with anything?

Where did I say that  I didn't apply the same standards to GAA footballers that represent my county or indeed any county?

I have never seen any player behave towards an opponent like McGregor!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

muppet

I wouldn't know anything about UFC, but I have to say McGregor has forced me to take an interest.

I love the brashness. I love the predictions and the uber-cockiness. I probably would have disliked this particular aspect of him a few years ago, but I am completely bored with sportsmen and women these days. Even the GAA (and probably especially the GAA) interviews bore me to tears.

If McGregor was playing for the All-Ireland Champions he would probably talk along the lines of "Lookit, Kilkenny might be a junior ladies team and are missing 25,000 players through injury and apathy, but they will still be a formidable challenge for us on Sunday. They'll be really up for it playing the All-Ireland mens champions."

If he was playing for a Premiership team he would be waffling along the lines of "....at the end of the day you have go out and do a job and its not over till the fat lady sing, obviously."

If he was Katie Taylor he would be telling us "....my God is the love of my life and He will lead me to my eternal salvation....".

If he was a golfer he would say sh*ite like "...if I bring my A-game I feel I can compete.....".

And if he was a tennis player he would be 'playing one match at a time'.

Sport is so cliched and mundane these days, why is everyone so offended with some old style braggadocio? It adds to the whole thing, even if it means half of the audience are only watching to see the trash-talker beaten. I dream of every county having someone who trash talks the opposition. Or even just speaks their mind.

Think of (for example) Meath drawn against Dublin next year with the usual 'lookit' bullshit. And then think of it with a Dublin player calling Meath 'useless', and a Meath player calling the Dubs arrogant or some other (maybe better) insult. Build and escalate that, McGregor style, for a week or two and Croker would sell out. The atmosphere would be electric.

Instead we will have more, 'I think it will go down to the wire, very much so'.

McGregor might get knocked out in the next fight, and I am not sure I like the UFC format, but I have to say I am enjoying him. I hope he is around for a few years.
MWWSI 2017

Asal Mor

trileacman

I really dislike the trash-talk and to be honest I'm looking forward to his inevitable defeat down the line. He mightn't be so fond of seeing a microphone shoved in his face after that.

I don't see his attitude as new or refreshing, Ali started it years ago and now it seems to be the done thing for combat sports. It doesn't entertain me either, if it did I probably wouldn't even watch UFC I'd watch videos of tinkers calling each other out on Youtube. Winding people up/Being a w@nk shouldn't be part and parcel of being a respected sportsman, inevitably some gowl takes it too far like Tyson Fury and everyone just shrugs their shoulders because top boxers are expected to be controversial. The views guys like Fury espouse aren't okay.

Muppet I don't think it's something you want to see in GAA, we already have a mouthy WUM up on centre stage and he's far from a national treasure in the county of Mayo. Next time you Mayo boys take offence to Brolly calling you chokers or cheats I'll remind you of love for the braggadocio.

George Hook was right, pre-match interview are a waste of everyone's time. Supporters, interviewers, interviewees. Unless you know you're gonna get something different from the norm don't bother your hole. Journalists have column inches to fill though and pre-match interviews make acceptable manure filler.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Hardy

I hate crap. This is crap. Therefore I hate it. The simplest decision I've had to make today.

omaghjoe

Quote from: trileacman on December 14, 2015, 12:38:37 AM
I really dislike the trash-talk and to be honest I'm looking forward to his inevitable defeat down the line. He mightn't be so fond of seeing a microphone shoved in his face after that.

I don't see his attitude as new or refreshing, Ali started it years ago and now it seems to be the done thing for combat sports. It doesn't entertain me either, if it did I probably wouldn't even watch UFC I'd watch videos of tinkers calling each other out on Youtube. Winding people up/Being a w@nk shouldn't be part and parcel of being a respected sportsman, inevitably some gowl takes it too far like Tyson Fury and everyone just shrugs their shoulders because top boxers are expected to be controversial. The views guys like Fury espouse aren't okay.

Muppet I don't think it's something you want to see in GAA, we already have a mouthy WUM up on centre stage and he's far from a national treasure in the county of Mayo. Next time you Mayo boys take offence to Brolly calling you chokers or cheats I'll remind you of love for the braggadocio.

George Hook was right, pre-match interview are a waste of everyone's time. Supporters, interviewers, interviewees. Unless you know you're gonna get something different from the norm don't bother your hole. Journalists have column inches to fill though and pre-match interviews make acceptable manure filler.

Spot on, I don't understand why people think they need to hear trash talk to make a sport interesting. Whats the difference between using slabbering as a promotional tool and sledging? This is actually worse than sledging in IMO. Sledging is used to gain a competitive advantage, this carry on is used to generate money, which IMO is as vulgar and as distasteful as it gets.

Boxing has allowed it to be used as a promotional tool for a long time now in an attempt to try and stem the tide of its gradual 80 year demise. And while it gives small boosts to some fighters it has not stopped the overall decline in interest. I think because team sports have a legacy and tradition it is more adept at fulfilling the tribalism wants that many sports fan are yearning for. Anyway the result  for boxing has been to turn its image into a crude corrupt pantomime, even tho inside the ropes is still overall, more or less, as good as it has always has.

Syferus

It's show business. Grow up lads.

annapr

And the only reason you like him is because he is a Dub.

annapr

Quote from: Hardy on December 14, 2015, 12:58:15 AM
I hate crap. This is crap. Therefore I hate it. The simplest decision I've had to make today.
You could get into the octagon with him and bore him into submission.

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on December 14, 2015, 12:38:37 AM

It is difficult to imagine someone missing the point more.

This is what I said:

"Sport is so cliched and mundane these days, why is everyone so offended with some old style braggadocio? It adds to the whole thing, even if it means half of the audience are only watching to see the trash-talker beaten. I dream of every county having someone who trash talks the opposition. Or even just speaks their mind."

Regarding Brolly, the reason he is centre stage is because of his braggadocio. There is nothing else putting him there. He makes money out of it and people tune in, like it or not, to hear him rant. He is the only pundits who gets threads on here about him. If Brolly goes over the top and insults my county, of course I may fall for it and 'take offence'. But that is the whole f*cking point! As an aside I think Brolly is a bit tired in the role these days. He needs company.

You can have in your sterile world of 'lookit Marty'. Or worse again, your Mickey Harte Irish News column.
MWWSI 2017