The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 03, 2015, 12:57:35 AM
Quote from: gallsman on April 03, 2015, 12:04:37 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 02, 2015, 11:26:33 PM
Only recently have taken an interest in this melarkey (mainly due to the Notorious 'documentary' on RTE2), McGregor's defo got a bit of the razzmatazz about him & looks like has the skills to pay the bills, but is Aldo a big step up? I see he is 4/6 fav & mcgregor 6/5, is McGregor going to geta Ricky Hatton / Prince Naseem spanking from a proper World Champion?

The media day in Dublin was a bit mental, but funny.

Aldo is unbeaten in ten years, is the only featherweight champion in UFC history and kicks like an absolute mule. He's beaten every other contender in the division. McGregor has fought nobody that comes remotely close to his level. He can strike and has knockout power in both his fists and his legs and is a black belt in jiu jitsu. McGregor has range and probably speed on him. Very, very difficult to call.

McGregor reminds me of Fergus out of Braveheart.
There's a madness in his eyes, especially off camera - all form and statistics point to Aldo, but it is that look that McGregor sometimes gives that makes me think he has more than a chance.

You do realise that one of them is an actor and the other..... .... Oh wait !....

gallsman

McGregor is undeniably incredibly talented and has been very, very impressive to date. Never mind Aldo though, none of the guys McGregor has fought to date are on a level that approaches that of guys Aldo has already beaten.

DennistheMenace

Aldo for me, I think a lot of people are caught up in the hype. The Prince Naseem comparison was a good one in boxing terms, Barrera the proven master wiped the floor of him and I expect this to pan out something similar. I'll be having some 4/6 that is available on Aldo.

JimStynes

I just hope it's a close fight. Will look like a dick if he gets knocked out early on. I love the trash talkers and he is the ultimate trash talker.

gallsman

Naz was an exceptional boxer who had some huge wins though. He lost his biggest fight against an all time great, first ballot hall of famer. His brashness was backed up. McGregor doesn't have the record yet to back up his mouth.

CiKe

Quote from: gallsman on April 03, 2015, 10:40:29 AM
Naz was an exceptional boxer who had some huge wins though. He lost his biggest fight against an all time great, first ballot hall of famer. His brashness was backed up. McGregor doesn't have the record yet to back up his mouth.

Disagree. Naz was not an exceptional boxer in the standard sense. He was exceptionally unorthodox with excellent power who when faced with an exceptional boxer got schooled.

oakleaflad

Quote from: CiKe on April 03, 2015, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: gallsman on April 03, 2015, 10:40:29 AM

Disagree. Naz was not an exceptional boxer in the standard sense. He was exceptionally unorthodox with excellent power who when faced with an exceptional boxer got schooled.
Naz is actually a Hall of Famer now himself, was inducted at the end of last year.

rrhf

I thought this thread was about mc geeneys armagh training.

gallsman

Jon Jones allegedly the perpetrator of a hit and run in Albuquerque, the victim of which was pregnant. Marijuana subsequently found in the car. Could be the end for him.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on April 27, 2015, 09:06:21 PM
Jon Jones allegedly the perpetrator of a hit and run in Albuquerque, the victim of which was pregnant. Marijuana subsequently found in the car. Could be the end for him.
He needs to be stripped of the title and sidelined for a year to clean himself up. what a waste of talent.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on April 28, 2015, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 27, 2015, 09:06:21 PM
He needs to be stripped of the title and sidelined for a year to clean himself up. what a waste of talent.

A big test of just how committed the UFC is to improving its image. They've still yet to make any announcement about the fight or the event (three and a half weeks away).

Given the felony charge and fact he left the scene, he'll do very, very well to escape jail.

The Iceman

It seems he jumped a light and cause two other vehicles to collide. I don't believe he collided with a vehicle? At least it isn't clear from the account online.
I'd imagine the lawyers will find some technicality or just pay the girl off....

Jones has really turned in to the bad guy but he'll throw his life away like a young Mike Tyson if he keeps going the way he is...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

The accusation is that he ran the red light, struck the car with the pregnant lady in it which led to a collision with a this car and then left the scene on foot, going back briefly to pick up some cash.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on April 28, 2015, 11:17:44 PM
The accusation is that he ran the red light, struck the car with the pregnant lady in it which led to a collision with a this car and then left the scene on foot, going back briefly to pick up some cash.
I see online he didn't offer a plea. So technically he is innocent until proven guilty two months from now. Leaving him to compere in a few weeks, make his money and then deal with it all then.
The UFC have taken a similar stance before and allowed fighters to compete while bonded.

The lad seriously needs help. I love to watch him fight. I'm a fan but he is throwing it all away. He want to NM for a cleaner life supposedly. He has a couple of kids like he'd want to wise up.

Gabriel_Hurl

JBJ suspended indefinitely and stripped of the title.

Dan Cormier vs Anthony Johnson for the title at UFC 187