TV3 get slice of GAA action

Started by laoisgaa, November 29, 2007, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoisgaa

TV3 has become the first Commercial free to air television station to gain a slice of the lucrative GAA Championships coverage with the news that the station will show Qualifiers and selected provincial semi-finals live next year.

The deal which has been negotiated with the GAA for a three year period offers a package of live and exclusive GAA action including provincial finals, provincial semi-finals and three football championship qualifiers.

The GAA are currently in negotiations with a number of different parties in relation to TV rights but TV3 are the only successful bidders in the first round of the process.

These rights cover the next three All-Ireland Championship seasons from 2008 to 2010 inclusive.

Commenting on today's announcement, Pat Kiely, TV3's Commercial Director said:  "We are delighted that the GAA has chosen TV3 as a partner broadcaster.  As Ireland's number one sport with unique Irish identity and heritage, live GAA coverage was a primary target for TV3.   

"Off the back of our success with the Rugby World Cup, we really look forward to working closely with the GAA to offer a fresh view on our national game for fans, old and new."

LaurelEye

Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

DickyRock

Balls. We don't get TV3 at our house. Probably affect quite a lot of the people in the North

Lecale2

Great! The matches will be on ITV then as well. Everything that TV3 broadcasts also goes out on ITV.

TacadoirArdMhacha

If it means more GAA on TV then it can only be a good thing.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ziggysego

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 29, 2007, 07:14:21 PM
If it means more GAA on TV then it can only be a good thing.

Not familiar with sport on TV3 TAM?  :D
Testing Accessibility

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteNot familiar with sport on TV3 TAM?

Very familar but if ya don't like ya don't havta watch it so long as its not taking away from the amount of matches shown by RTÉ. In fairness in this situation the TV3 curse can't extend to all Irish teams!

Or can it? London Vs New York for the All Ireland final anybody?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Sky Blue

Presentation on TV3 is very poor alright but you could turn the volume down and listen to the radio.

ziggysego

Quote from: Sky Blue on November 29, 2007, 07:35:53 PM
Presentation on TV3 is very poor alright but you could turn the volume down and listen to the radio.

Not BBC Radio Ulster mind you ;)

Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: tram on November 29, 2007, 07:16:37 PM
Quote from: DickyRock on November 29, 2007, 07:07:58 PM
Balls. We don't get TV3 at our house. Probably affect quite a lot of the people in the North
Those that would rely on Sky Digital or Virgin, yes. The vast majority whom rely on terrestrial transmitters, provided they can receive TG4 should be OK. The north coast would be an exception.

That would be me then, on Virgin (NTL), balls to that then!
Tbc....

GalwayBayBoy

Well I guess competition is a good thing but in the case of TV3 I'll make an exception. Their coverage of soccer has been woeful in the past and there was so many ad breaks during their rugby world cup coverage that I decided to watch all the games on Setanta.

tayto

If they get different games to RTÉ then at least you'll have a choice what match to watch. It's all good and will give lower profile teams, the likes of the Dublin hurlers, some extra exposure. Hopefully they'll do some sort of magazine program as well. They're not great at hosting programs but the more coverage the better.

orangeman

At least you don't have to pay for TV3 ???

Bogball XV

Quote from: tram on November 29, 2007, 07:16:37 PM
Quote from: DickyRock on November 29, 2007, 07:07:58 PM
Those that would rely on Sky Digital or Virgin, yes. The vast majority whom rely on terrestrial transmitters, provided they can receive TG4 should be OK. The north coast would be an exception.
Large swathes of Derry don't get TV3 or TG4 - another great move from the GAA.

ziggysego

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 29, 2007, 10:54:53 PM
Large swathes of Derry don't get TV3 or TG4 - another great move from the GAA.

Wait and see what the BBC and UTV get out of the new deal first.

As for Derry not getting TV3 or TG4, you can hardly blame the GAA for that.
Testing Accessibility