Mice help

Started by tyrone girl, December 01, 2011, 09:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awideisneverasgood

I had an infestation in the attic a couple of years ago, got 12 of the wee feckers in the end.
I got a pest control guy out and he found where they were getting in beside the boiler and sealed it up, haven't had an issue since.

I littered the place with glue traps and traditional traps and used peanut butter or chocolate.   
Traditional traps against the walls of the attic worked well for me.

HiMucker

I have found that the only long term solution for a persistent mice problem is a cat.

tintin25

Already had a guy from the council out who inspected the side of the house and downstairs - he couldn't see any noticeable gaps.  He reckons that 1/2 have come in through my patio doors or the neighbours (semi detached) whilst it was open for a period.  Spoke to Pest Control guy for advice too and he thinks something similar has happened.  Thinks I should sit tight for another week - he advised it was normal for remaining few to come out in dribs and drabs.  Let's hope so!

bogball88

Quote from: tintin25 on November 22, 2018, 01:54:30 PM
Already had a guy from the council out who inspected the side of the house and downstairs - he couldn't see any noticeable gaps.  He reckons that 1/2 have come in through my patio doors or the neighbours (semi detached) whilst it was open for a period.  Spoke to Pest Control guy for advice too and he thinks something similar has happened.  Thinks I should sit tight for another week - he advised it was normal for remaining few to come out in dribs and drabs.  Let's hope so!
Where/what council is this?

tintin25

Quote from: bogball88 on November 22, 2018, 02:12:34 PM

Lisburn/Castlereagh...free of charge for initial call out.  Would cost for them to put poison down though.

Geoff Tipps

Unless the doors are open for long periods I'd be looking at other possible entry points.

Jeepers Creepers

Mice can squeeze through a wedding ring. Shine a torch on the wall separating you and next door in the attic.

awideisneverasgood

I wouldn't put poison down inside the house, you could end up with a bad smell when they start to rot.

DickyRock

Quote from: tintin25 on November 22, 2018, 02:15:20 PM

Lisburn/Castlereagh...free of charge for initial call out.  Would cost for them to put poison down though.

Didn't realise that - live in the same council area.

We had mice a month back. Wife found droppings behind sofa. Set a couple of traps in the living room but but no luck. I have a wee security camera - set it on the floor in the living room looking at the traps the wee fecker didnt go near them for a day then I was working in the dinning room heard the trap snap, looked at the video and seen him bounce up into the air and then squeezed down beside the radiator. I hadn't quickly enough and should've set looked all around the house. On the 4 day after we spotted the droppings the wife found one in at a bag of rice in a kitchen cupboard (backboard was pushed out at the bottom the larder  :o)

That was enough and went all out. Checked for holes and filled (1 possible). Caught 2 adults and 8 kids over the next 3 days. Peanut butter on the traps - though some of the babies licked it off without triggering.

I'll not be so lax the next time

whitey

We've had them in the wife's car. It started off with a bad smell before the mechanic figured it out when doing an oil change

Luckily for us parking the cars in the garage has done the trick

Our neighbors on the other hand, have had mice do $7K worth of damage to their car

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: tintin25 on November 22, 2018, 02:15:20 PM

Free? Feckin rates are phenomenal in Lisburn/Castlereagh & for what?

guy crouchback

if you do need a cat i'm trying to get rid of a couple of kittens at the moment!! their mother sorted out our mice problem and she has them well trained. let me know if you are interested!!

tintin25

Quote from: guy crouchback on November 23, 2018, 01:11:31 PM
if you do need a cat i'm trying to get rid of a couple of kittens at the moment!! their mother sorted out our mice problem and she has them well trained. let me know if you are interested!!

Possibly...where you based?  Have to say I'm more of a dog person but maybe no hamr in getting one.  Easy enough to look after?

guy crouchback

no minding on them really, cats do what they like, you can keep them in the house if you like, they are very clean, our cat is mostly an outside cat, sleeps in the garage eats scraps supplemented with cat food and of course all the mice, birds, rabbits etc, that she kills.
make sure and get her nurtured unless you want to find yourself on a gaa discussion board punting kittens.

i'm based in north mayo but id be prepared to travel a bit to meet you if it suited. i want rid of the things before the kids get too attached to them. they are weaned and ready to go.

Hardy