The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Smurfit Course was surprisingly good. I say surprisingly because most reports paint it as uneventful and contrived. But I thought it was good fun, a decent challenge, but completely fair. The back 9 is particularly impressive.

I wouldn't describe it as overly tough. I shot a rubbish, really rubbish score, largely due to a penchant for fluffing chips and finding bunkers. But I'd think I could go well around it; the lack of trees was refreshing. I reckon it would be a great society outing off the front markers.

In terms of where it sits quality wise, it's probably as good as you can get for a second course. But it's definitely on a tier below the best I've played in Ireland: Headfort New, Druids Glen, Concra Wood, Lough Erne. And it should be priced accordingly. I was on a freebie by the way. 

Bogball XV

http://www.thedanplan.com/theplan.php

Any of you see this before?

It's a 30yo non-golfing photographer from Portland Oregon, who aims to spend 10,000 hours practising golf over the next 5 yrs in order to win his tour card in 2015.
The aim is to show that applied practice not talent yields results.

muppet

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 30, 2011, 01:23:32 PM

It's a 30yo non-golfing photographer from Portland Oregon, who aims to spend 10,000 hours practising golf over the next 5 yrs in order to win his tour card in 2015.

I just knew he had read Outliers.

The no. 2 of Lehman's had read Blink by the same author and inspired by it, started making instinctive decicions rather than remotely logic ones. Look where it got him.

Both good books particularly Outliers, but neither are rulebooks for life.

One thing the guy above ignores, the 10,000 hours almost always begins when people are children and thus able to learn quickly. It might take a 30 year old a lot longer.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

I remember reading about someone a few years ago who was a 20 something handicapper and set himself a challenge to play a round of golf at gross even par.

I'd say that was certainly possible for most people, if you have the time.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

Paula Creamer on Sky Sports 3 atm in this new Powerplay format is a bit of alright.
Not a bad golfer either.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: muppet on May 30, 2011, 01:46:32 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on May 30, 2011, 01:23:32 PM

I just knew he had read Outliers.

The no. 2 of Lehman's had read Blink by the same author and inspired by it, started making instinctive decicions rather than remotely logic ones. Look where it got him.

Both good books particularly Outliers, but neither are rulebooks for life.

One thing the guy above ignores, the 10,000 hours almost always begins when people are children and thus able to learn quickly. It might take a 30 year old a lot longer.
Bounce by Matthew Syed is a good book on the 10,000 hour rule theory. Would'nt 100% agree with it myself, but its interesting stuff. Personally my game is getting worse recently, cant put my finger on why tho. Probably not enough puposeful practice as these guys would say.

Orior

Lord bless us and save us. The Hoffmeister has been hammered by a Fanny.

QuoteLisa Maguire crashed out of the British Open Amateur Championship after suffering a first-round defeat by Baltray's Deirdre Smith at Portrush.

Smith earned a surprise one hole win over the Curtis Cup player.

Maguire's twin Leona trailed Perrine Delacour by one hole after nine while Danielle McVeigh is out after losing by two holes against Lauren Taylor.

Stephanie Meadow and Victoria Bradshaw both progressed to the second round but Charlene Reid exited.

The Maguire twins and McVeigh were all part of last year's Great Britain & Ireland side which faced the USA in the Curtis Cup.

McVeigh led English player Taylor by two holes after nine but the match then unravelled for the Royal County Down hopeful.

US-based Royal Portrush player Meadow set up a second-round clash with leading qualifier Camilla Hedberg as she beat France's Laure Castelain by 2 holes

Another Royal Portrush player Reid was beaten 5&3 by Canada's Anne-Catherine Tanguay.

Bangor player Bradshaw defeated Woodhall Spa's Holly Clyburn 3&2 to set up a second-round meeting with German Thea Hoffmeister who hammered Switzerland's Fanny Vuignier 7&5.

Spanish player Hedberg defeated Ballybunion's Emma O'Driscoll 4&3 in the first round to set up her meeting with Meadow.

attheraces

Right I'm looking for a new set of irons and a decent putter. I play off 10 and decide I need an upgrade, I'm looking a set that are relatively easy to hit but a bit of added control. Second hand would be even better to save a bit of dosh if anyone had any ideas of what clubs/ and where to look would be much appreciated.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

thebigfella

Quote from: attheraces on June 09, 2011, 05:22:58 PM
Right I'm looking for a new set of irons and a decent putter. I play off 10 and decide I need an upgrade, I'm looking a set that are relatively easy to hit but a bit of added control. Second hand would be even better to save a bit of dosh if anyone had any ideas of what clubs/ and where to look would be much appreciated.

In fairness off 10 you should have a few ideas of what you are after, muscle back/cavity back? Forged?

I like the mizuno JPX 800 Pro (Forged) at the moment. Really easy to hit and feel great, plus I don't believe in making things harder by using clubs that are harder to hit. As for putters it's all down to confidence. An expensive putter won't make you putt better, it's more down to feel IMO.

For the record I have a Odyssey White Hot 2 ball centre shaft, (33 inch shaft too). I prefer the heavier head with a mallet and as my first putter was a mallet it suits my putting stroke. It was toss up between that and scotty cameron but I don't think the extra 200 on the scotty was worth it. In hindsight I made the right decision. As I say though it's about feel.

Puckoon

Quote from: thebigfella on June 09, 2011, 06:40:19 PM
Quote from: attheraces on June 09, 2011, 05:22:58 PM

In fairness off 10 you should have a few ideas of what you are after, muscle back/cavity back? Forged?

I like the mizuno JPX 800 Pro (Forged) at the moment. Really easy to hit and feel great, plus I don't believe in making things harder by using clubs that are harder to hit. As for putters it's all down to confidence. An expensive putter won't make you putt better, it's more down to feel IMO.

For the record I have a Odyssey White Hot 2 ball centre shaft, (33 inch shaft too). I prefer the heavier head with a mallet and as my first putter was a mallet it suits my putting stroke. It was toss up between that and scotty cameron but I don't think the extra 200 on the scotty was worth it. In hindsight I made the right decision. As I say though it's about feel.

I've just gotten used to the extra weight on the same putter, and I have to say I don't love this putter at all. I'm happy with it from inside 4 feet, but 4-8 feet is tough for me. It does have good weight to get the good lag putts rolling. I was playing around with a taylor made (white head, not sure what model exactly) putter the other day and was in love with it. Walked out of the store before I made a crazy purchase.

laoislad

I had one of those two ball putters and hated it. Like Puck I found it heavy,just couldn't get use to it.
I have a Taylormade Rossa like one below now and love it,nice and light and much easier control IMO.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

sammymaguire

Quote from: thewobbler on May 27, 2011, 11:14:03 PM
Heading to K Club Smurfit on Sunday. I hear it's a beast, which should be amusing.

Any good?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Orior