The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: JimStynes on August 27, 2010, 10:23:29 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 27, 2010, 09:40:11 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 27, 2010, 09:20:20 PM
What channel is the golf on? Any live streams for it?

Anyone ever play at Edenmore golf club? Me and corn02(RIP) are playing there on Wednesday.

My dads a member pretty standard course not overally difficult but a few lengthy holes

I am a beginner so that will suit me down to the ground.  It's my local course but have never played there as i always thought it was a bit posh for me  :-\

It can seem a little posh at times but if my dad can stand it, it mustn't be too bad. Membership of it seems strange some years I've been told there's a waiting list to join, other years they are waiving the joining and advertising everywhere. Suppose that won't matter to you if you are moving
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

The Real Laoislad

Barclays gone to a play off between Matt Kuchar and Martin Laird
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Orior

Laird blew it big time, 3 putting on the last hole of regulation play, and then lossing in the first playoff hole to a birdie.

Still, on the positive side his girlfriend is a babe.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

new devil

Was at that yesterday...1000's following Tiger around and only a few 100 at the other holes

JimStynes

Played Edenmore today, shot 104. Crap score but not bad considering it's only my 2nd round of golf on an 18 hole course. Putting was crap, driving was crap except for 4 or 5 holes (including one monster drive that went straight down the fairway not far off 300 yards), so many things to improve on it's hard to list them all. It's a lovely course and much better than the crap par 3 courses or the 9 hole course at Down Royal that i'm used to.  I can play much better than i played today so i will definately break 100 sometime soon.  8)

Puckoon

My heart is broke with golf at the minute. Playing well - but just can't afford a membership, although I really really want one.

The second most exclusive club in the town here, right beside the house - is offering perhaps the best deal it ever will in my life time.

$2,500 initiation fee
$370 monthly dues.

Fully private country club membership (equity membership that can be sold down the line), and it is currently the second cheapest in town and it is about $170 a month out of my reach. :-\  Thinking about it though, trying to think of it as an investment with free golf!

Puckoon

Keep it up Jim - it is the little things that help lower the score - the putting especially.

When I play a round I keep track of 4 things on each hole:

1. Score
2. Fairway hit
3. Green hit in regulation
4. # of putts

It is amazing how a shot hit without really concentrating can often lead to two or more extra strokes per hole.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on September 01, 2010, 05:04:07 PM
My heart is broke with golf at the minute. Playing well - but just can't afford a membership, although I really really want one.

The second most exclusive club in the town here, right beside the house - is offering perhaps the best deal it ever will in my life time.

$2,500 initiation fee
$370 monthly dues.

Fully private country club membership (equity membership that can be sold down the line), and it is currently the second cheapest in town and it is about $170 a month out of my reach. :-\  Thinking about it though, trying to think of it as an investment with free golf!

Go for it Puck,life is too short not too
You'll Never Walk Alone.

DennistheMenace

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Orior

Quote from: DennistheMenace on September 01, 2010, 07:45:21 PM
74 today at my local course  8)

From the white tees, green tees or ladies tees?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

the waffler

playing slieve russell this weekend anyone played it whats it like

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

venter

I have managed to get my handicap down from 22 to 14 this summer. I made hay during may and june when the weather was good. I got a 25 minute lesson last year that turned my drive from a feeble slice into a fairly solid draw. I hit my drive fairly consistently with the odd duck hook thrown in. However, with the draw shot I'm hitting the drives about 30+ yards further than I used to.

I go out with a plan most days, but once i hit a bad shot the plan goes up in smoke. From there on in, its pretty much just playing on instinct. The plan usually comes back into my head when im on my way home!
Typical example : Par 4: I hit a drive into the rough. About 160yds to green. lie not great! ah sure I'll hit a 6 iron and knock it on the green. Club gets wrapped in the rough, ball goes about 30 yards into worse rough or a drain.
The sensible shot would be to hit a 9 iron about a hundred yards or so down the fairway and leave yourself a 50 or 60 yard chip in. Take 2 putts, and leave with a steady 5.
Now the sensible shot sounds logical and makes a lot of sense when I have it written down in front of me, but for some mad reason, i never ever take that option.

Another issue I have is that i do not understand the mechanics of my swing at all. I just take a few practice swings till it feels right. When it does eventaully/inevitably go wrong, I'll have no idea why.

My goal over the winter is to try and understand whats actually happening with my swing. I think i'll need to know this to get down in to single figures. Also need to stop being so clumsy around the green and leaving myself with 10 footers that should be 5 footers

gerrykeegan

My goal over the winter is to try and understand whats actually happening with my swing. I think I'll need to know this to get down in to single figures.

Be very carefull here. I have had a torrid time of it recently and needed lessons recently to get me back on the right path. I was watching a lot of golf and then trying to replicate that on the course. When you starting thinking about a lot of stuff its too hard to do. Keep it all as simple as possible. The less you think about the better. Concentrate on a few important things. this game can wreck your head.

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)