The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Tiger Woods says he can not comprehend the emotional pressure Phil Mickelson will be under when the US Open gets underway on Thursday.
Mickelson delayed his arrival at the Bethpage Black course to spend his 39th birthday with wife Amy, 37, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in May.
"I couldn't imagine dealing with what he has to deal with on a daily basis," said Woods.
"And hats off to how he's handled it because certainly it's so hard to do."
Bethpage Black was the course where Woods edged out Mickelson by three strokes to claim the title in 2002, but the runner-up won loud and enthusiastic backing from the Long Island crowd.

The pair have been reported as having a frosty relationship, but 14-time major winner Woods revealed that he and his wife have spent time with the Mickelsons socially. "All the years that we've played doubles and table tennis, Elin and myself and Phil and Amy, those are priceless times," he said.
"Myself and everyone out here hopes that she gets well and she's back out here as soon as she can."
Woods' father Earl died in 2006 after an eight-year battle with prostate cancer and the world number one said that tournament golf offered him little distraction during the illness.
"You're surrounded by people wishing you well the entire time and hoping everything works out. But then again, they keep reminding you of the same circumstance you're dealing with on a daily basis," he said.

606: DEBATE
Its almost here! The most exciting and unpredictable major of the year

TIGERBESTATHLETE
Mickelson withdrew from the PGA Tour in May to spend more time with Amy whose doctors have delayed her treatment until July, believing they have caught the disease in its early stages.
With the US Open believed to fit around his wife's treatment, Mickelson returned to action, finishing 59th at the St Jude Classic in Memphis last week.
He has a record four second-place finishes in the US Open.
Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke, who lost his wife Heather to breast cancer in 2006, said he had spoken with the American.
"We had a good conversation about various things. He's a good friend. It's very sad news but it's early stages so we all hope the tests and everything else go as well as we wish," he said.

Maybe not as frosty as we thought.

venter

QuoteDo you mean twisting anti-clockwise for a right hander?

Yeah, that's exactly what i mean. I had never known anything about that until the lesson last week. I am swinging the driver fairly timidly at the moment to get use to it, but I still seem to be hitting the ball further than i ever hit it with the slice.

One other thing about my set up, was that i had the gripping area of my iron right in the middle of my stance( which was also contributing to my open face) . The gripping area should be closer to you left thigh, this automatically forced me to start closing the club) . I think that tip might be on the video jug clip. ( but I had forgotten all about it)

FermPundit

I went and bought a new set of golf clubs last week. The problem is we have our golf day this week and I haven't much confidence in my new clubs. Under golf laws am I allowed to have two of the same club in my bag e.g carry my old 3 wood plus my new one?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: FermPundit on June 23, 2009, 10:00:25 PM
I went and bought a new set of golf clubs last week. The problem is we have our golf day this week and I haven't much confidence in my new clubs. Under golf laws am I allowed to have two of the same club in my bag e.g carry my old 3 wood plus my new one?

Once you don't carry more than 14 clubs I don't see a problem.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Fermanaghandsam

I was up at the driving range tonight, and the fella with me had also just bought new clubs. He was struggling badly with them, in fact he could hardly hit it. He would never be able to play a round with them, so hopefully you are not as bad as he is. I have never found this problem myself when using different clubs.

PS I think you can carry more than 1 of each club

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on June 23, 2009, 10:19:22 PM
I was up at the driving range tonight, and the fella with me had also just bought new clubs. He was struggling badly with them, in fact he could hardly hit it. He would never be able to play a round with them, so hopefully you are not as bad as he is. I have never found this problem myself when using different clubs.

PS I think you can carry more than 1 of each club

I can't understand people buying clubs without testing them out first at the golf shop  ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

supersub

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 23, 2009, 10:17:39 PM
Quote from: FermPundit on June 23, 2009, 10:00:25 PM

Once you don't carry more than 14 clubs I don't see a problem.

You could bring 14 three woods out if you wanted...not that this is any use!! But yeh you can have 2 of the same club as long as you only have a max of 14 altogether in your bag!

magickingdom

74 for lowery today which leaves him in 112 out of 156, cant see him making the cut from there unless he gets rid of the bogeys (6 bogeys today 4 birdies)

gerrykeegan

Shane LOWRY  Position: T71
Score: -2  Leaderboard  Player bio & stats
Day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Out 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 In Total To Par
1 5 4 4 3 4 4 5 3 5 37 5 5 3 4 3 5 5 2 5 37 74 +2
2 4 3 3 3 3 5 4 3 5 33 4 4 3 4 4       -4

Par 4 3 4 4 4 5 4 3 5 36 4 5 3 4 4 4 4 3 5 36 72 
Yard 431 207 447 348 331 481 440 196 556 3437 471 555 153 371 489 463 319 189 567 3577 7014 
Metre 395 190 409 319 303 440 403 180 509 3148 431 508 140 340 448 424 292 173 519 3275 6423 

Key:  Eagles/Better  Birdies  Par
Bogeys  Double Bogeys/Worse 

Much better round from him today , one more birdie and he will make the cut
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

The Real Laoislad

For his sake I hope he does make the cut,the more cuts he misses the harder it's gonna get.
A bit like a new striker not being able to score for a new club
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gerrykeegan

two bogies on the run in and he missed out
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

magickingdom

good round for him today tho, its only a matter of time and he'll do it.. ended up tied 103 missed the cut by 3

The Real Laoislad

Not sure if someone has posted this before,apologises if they have...
Charles Barkley's golf swing  :D
And I thought mine was bad..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50K65PNeBU
You'll Never Walk Alone.

milltown row

think he needs a longer shaft (bring on the jokes)

thewobbler

I played Concra Wood, a new Championship course in Castleblaney, on Saturday, It's majestic - one of the best courses I ever stood on. Hard to believe a course so young could be in such great condition.