Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

If there are dead rubbers I wonder will there be an appetite for the fans to go? Or just the hardcore supporters.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2018, 05:11:57 PM
If there are dead rubbers I wonder will there be an appetite for the fans to go? Or just the hardcore supporters.

Are you actually wondering or do you already know the obvious answer?

Cunny Funt

Those at head office will probably still think things are wonderful regardless and may even bring in a Super 4 for the last 4 with the top two in the group reaching the All Ireland final imagine that..

Rossfan

The first tweak is play 1st round at Neutral venues ( Not Croker).
After that ...?
83k Phase 1.
50/55k at most this weekend
Last weekend depends on how many real matches are on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM
Those at head office will probably still think things are wonderful regardless and may even bring in a Super 4 for the last 4 with the top two in the group reaching the All Ireland final imagine that..
I hate peeing on anybody's parade and I'd love to see see some merit in the present series of matches but round robin games don't fit easily into a championship structure and the Super 8s are no exception.
This weekend Kerry will play Monaghan in Clones. How many Kerry fans will make the long trek northwards? I can't see hordes of Donegal fans converging on the Hyde either and I feel that most Roscommon supporters will be afraid to turn up and pay good money to see their hopes annihilated. No insult intended to the Rossies here but it will be the shock of the century if they manage to beat a team that has to win to stay in the race for Sam.
Kildare and Galway may get a fair crowd but that's relative since the ground isn't up to intercounty standard and a sell out crowd will mean less than 10,000.
I know I'm  nitpicking here but the issues I am talking about should have been obvious to all before a ball was thrown in in any game.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 17, 2018, 06:01:11 PM
I hate peeing on anybody's parade and I'd love to see see some merit in the present series of matches but round robin games don't fit easily into a championship structure and the Super 8s are no exception.
This weekend Kerry will play Monaghan in Clones. How many Kerry fans will make the long trek northwards? I can't see hordes of Donegal fans converging on the Hyde either and I feel that most Roscommon supporters will be afraid to turn up and pay good money to see their hopes annihilated. No insult intended to the Rossies here but it will be the shock of the century if they manage to beat a team that has to win to stay in the race for Sam.
Kildare and Galway may get a fair crowd but that's relative since the ground isn't up to intercounty standard and a sell out crowd will mean less than 10,000.
I know I'm  nitpicking here but the issues I am talking about should have been obvious to all before a ball was thrown in in any game.

Go back to your armchair psychoanalysis of posters and leave the football talk to the counties still in the championship.

Blowitupref

As i said on the attendance thread a much lower crowd than was expected for Saturday's double header and this is off the back of the "super 8s" getting hyped to the hills for months but that hype didn't work as they couldn't even get 60k with the Dubs involved.

Maybe supporters see it as it is. Group games are not for the last eight stage while knock out football is far more interesting and draws in bigger crowds.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I'll have to pay in to a likely dead rubber but I won't be hanging around to watch it. I'm sure Mayo supporters will be the same.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 17, 2018, 07:10:02 PM

I'll have to pay in to a likely dead rubber but I won't be hanging around to watch it. I'm sure Mayo supporters will be the same.

I defo won't anyway.

Rossfan

Not something Rhus have to fret about in 2018 ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Dead right Lar. For me, I was always against round robin in championship because there will inevitably be dead rubbers and more controversially games that are dead for one team but crucial for the opponent. If not this year, then some year. But "champions league" format was the big cry from the masses so we got what we wanted and now it's here we should make the best of it.

If Galway and Monaghan win this week, it'll make a right balls of that group.  But if Kildare and Kerry win (which I certainly wouldn't rule out), then the final round will be set up perfectly

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2018, 06:03:58 PM

Go back to your armchair psychoanalysis of posters and leave the football talk to the counties still in the championship.

What a pathetic condescending post. Then agsin, I shouldn't expect anything higher than this from you.

manfromdelmonte

Round robin format should always be at the start of a competition

larryin89

Can they tweak the super 8 or even scrap them for next year or is it set in stone for a set trial period?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

JoG2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 18, 2018, 09:11:07 AM
Round robin format should always be at the start of a competition

But looking through the eyes of the GAA top brass, this is the start of the (elite) competition.