Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Solo_run

Neil Lennon believes he suffers anti-Catholic "racism" in Scotland and says there was an effigy depicting him being hanged at Tynecastle during Wednesday's Edinburgh derby.

The Hibernian head coach was struck by a coin during his team's goalless draw after celebrating a disallowed Hearts goal.

Lennon suggested some observers had blamed him for "bringing it on myself" by "goading people", which he described as a "pretty poor" argument.

"You call it sectarianism here in Scotland, I call it racism," Lennon said. "If a black man is abused, you're not just abusing the colour of his skin - you're abusing his culture, heritage, his background.

"It's the exact same when I get called a Fenian, a pauper, a beggar, a tarrier. These people have a sense of entitlement, or a superiority complex, and all I do is stand up for myself.

"I got hit by a coin in the face by someone in the crowd. Not happy with some of the comments that have come out after. People should know better.

"Pretty poor, all this, 'I was goading people, I brought it on myself'. There was an effigy at Tynecastle saying, 'hang Neil Lennon', that was before the game.

"Did I bring that on myself? You're all saying no, because you're right minded people, you're decent people.

"So this has got to stop. Everyone says I play the victim - I don't."

Taken from BBC website

illdecide

I can tell you as i know...Neil Lennon is not a bigot nor sectarian, he comes from probably one of the nicest families you will find anywhere who haven't a bad bone in their bodies. Neil himself is a decent man who has suffered from the hands of bigots, he played for Man City, Crewe, and Leicester where he was still the we ginger hot headed midfielder who snapped at the heels of anyone he could to win an advantage...Look at the incident of him an Alan Shearer (Shearer kicked him in the head having been kicked a few time by Lennon), the point to all this was he was representing his country during these spells and there was not one bad word aimed at him during his career with these English clubs. However, once he signs for Celtic he's a fenian Bast**d and according to majority of NI fans that's still the case as the hate grew that much for him during his time at Celtic they have carried it on even though he's not connected with Celtic anymore.

I've had more rows and falling out with work colleagues who claim to hate him but when you ask they why they can't give you an actual reason why but I can...You're a bitter twisted, bigoted, sectarian Bast**d. Neil Lennon is 100% right, if this treatment happened to a black player it would have been on the World News and heads would have rolled but an Irish Catholic who played and managed Celtic it ok, he brought it on himself ::) he took abuse the whole of the game and reacted (he is human) at the end of a game with either a fist pump or a wave. If any of you are serious about saying he deserved it then you're as bad as the coin thrower (in my eyes and some of you have forgotten the thugs who tried to harm him at Tynecastle years ago).

People have given examples of other managers who are passionate and sometimes let themselves get carried away but to some it's funny and to others he's a di&k but he's not targeted like Neil Lennon is, if i was being 100% honest if he managed either the old Rangers or the new Sevco then he'd be just as passionate for them playing against Celtic. That's his make up and you can't change him, he'd be like that playing 5 a side but don't try and make it out to be something else other than sectarian, pure and simple.

The next person who tells you they hate Neil Lennon... ask them a serious question "WHY? Please give me a reason why you hate that man"
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

marty34

The thing is these things never happened to Lennon at Bolton - I don't think he's changed as a manager. Manages at Celtic and Hibs and he takes abuse every minute of the game

So the thing is clearly sectarian.  Clear as day.

Stop all this it's his own fault, he brings it all on himself waffle.

As Lennon alluded to himself, if he was black or Jewish and he was getting abuse the whole game, the SFA / FA would go to town on clubs, and rightly so!

Solo_run

It is unfair to compare Lennon to other managers anyway.

The abuse Jose M would get a Man Utd would be something along the lines of "You're Sh*t" etc etc. That is what a lot of managers would get but the abuse they get relates to their job.

Lennon gets abuse based on personal matters and not his performance as a manager.

general

Back to Celtic,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46075619

Celtic face losing the services of Daniel Arzani and Eboue Kouassi for the remainder of the season.

Kouassi was injured against Hearts at Murrayfield on Sunday and has been diagnosed with a knee ligament injury.

Arzani made his debut at Dundee on Wednesday but was taken off.

"We are waiting on the final analysis of the scans but it is unfortunate. It looks like we will have two cruciate injuries," said Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers.

"If it is the case it will rule them both out for the rest of the season."

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 02, 2018, 12:00:48 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 02, 2018, 07:44:19 AM
Quote from: ned on November 02, 2018, 07:29:02 AM
Quote from: michaelg on November 02, 2018, 07:09:12 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 02, 2018, 12:03:17 AM
Quote from: michaelg on November 01, 2018, 10:46:57 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 01, 2018, 09:46:27 PM
Complete cop out re: Lennon. Has suffered sectarian abuse at every away ground in Scotland except CP but it's all his fault!! How do you work that out?

Takens abuse for 85+ mins then he decides to put finger over lips or motions his hand in a calm down type of motion and they throw coins at him.

Call it out for what it is - sectarianism because Lennon, like Mc Clean won't hide away.
There is a difference between not hiding away and antagonising people and situations.
Lennon has been getting it for 18 years. He's pantomime villain for hearts and rangers fans who are largely scumbags. It doesn't take a lot for them to get riled up where an Irish Catholic is concerned
Funny how BR and MON don't seem to get the same attention.

Not sure what the point is there. Majority of players and managers who celebrate in similar way to NL don't have coins thrown at them. Mourinho doing his knee slide down the touchline didn't have an object thrown at him. Why not? I've seen both BR and MON celebrate with exuberance so why NL is singled out mystifies. Just because idiots react to NL does not mean he is doing anything wrong.
As I said before, celebrating your own team's goal is different to what NL did the other night.  Cause and effect.  Had he not done what he did the other night , he would not have got hit in the face with a coin.  It's pretty straightforward.
That's a disgraceful comment from one who portrays himself as the voice of reason. Lennon did little more than tell Hearts fans to settle down. The uncomfortable fact is that their is a large sectarian element within the NI/Hearts/Rangers supporters who single Lennon out and McClean because they don't fit the tame taig knowing his place model they prefer.
Not sure how what I stated can be construed as disgraceful.  I am not condoing the sc**bag who threw the coin in any way.  I was simply stating that, in my opinion, Lennon's actions led to the incident. 
As for your second point, give an example of a "tame taig", as you put it.  High profile Irish catholics in football such as BR and MON, who are forthright in their views when the situation requires it, don't get the same attention that Lennon NL receives.  There is a difference between "singling people out" and being antagonisitic and bringing attention to yourself.

ned

The only thing that led to the incident was the thug who thought it was okay to throw the coin, against a background of years of abuse NL and others have received in Scotland. Basically, "know your place tarrier scum."

Insane Bolt

Lennon was an ok taig playing for N.I. until he signed for Celtic.....but I suppose Billy Boys will be Billy Boys😡

michaelg

Quote from: Insane Bolt on November 02, 2018, 07:07:21 PM
Lennon was an ok taig playing for N.I. until he signed for Celtic.....but I suppose Billy Boys will be Billy Boys😡
Booed by a handful of idiots.  During the same match the fans sang "There's only one Neil Lennon".  You do realise not every NI fan is a Rangers fan?

thebar

Quote from: michaelg on November 02, 2018, 07:35:01 PM
Booed by a handful of idiots.  During the same match the fans sang "There's only one Neil Lennon".  You do realise not every NI fan is a Rangers fan?
I think you'll find it was more than just a handful...if it had of been he wouldn't have been forced to walk away.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: michaelg on November 02, 2018, 07:35:01 PM

Quite possible, but I think you would be hard pressed to find one who is a Celtic fan.

6th sam

Michaelg, I always like to read your posts as often they are refreshingly moderate and give a different perspective to many on this board. That would normally give you considerable kudos and respect which is important for your views to be appreciated . However on this occasion either you completely lack insight or "the mask has slipped" and you actually have a blinkered sectarian view of this.
I would appeal to your intelligence and decency for you to actually walk in NL's shoes for a minute rather than rush to your keyboard to justify your disgraceful contention that he brings this on himself.
It's quite clear what the issue is here ( evidenced by the absence of hatred when he was with Leicester and Bolton) .
Please read his very reasonable intelligent and fair  statement and address the "elephant in the room". This is anti-Irish racism in its crudest form. Fenians/taigs/paddies are ok as long as they don't show evidence of a preference for an Irish as opposed to British culture . That's the mistake Neil made when he signed for Celtic, Anton Rogan met the same vitriol. More recently Paddy McCourt has been treated better by NI fans and there's no doubt the IFA and the majority of NI supporters have no truck with this nonsense.
The treatment of NL over several years now is absolutely disgraceful . His well documented issues with depression make him even more vulnerable.
He's of short stature and had to work hard to succeed on the field with his aggression , determination and motivation enabling  him to punch above his weight, and he took those successful values into management. He will not be walked over and last time I looked , that's not a crime. However it antagonises opponents and supporters and there's no doubt he transgresses at times in the same way that klopp, Ferguson, Mccoist, wenger , mourinho have lost it at times. This does not mean however that he brings vile abuse, threats, assaults and bullying on himself.
Managers have a duty not to inflame crowds, but several of them have done so.
One very simple question which hopefully you have the emotional intelligence to ask yourself micHaelg ....if Arsene wenger , after one of his transgressions got hit by a coin from the crowd , would u be rushing to the Arsenal thread on this board , to continually argue that he brought it on himself?
NL continues to be a victim of racism( and he has clearly stated this is how he feels), And many Rangers players have Been similarly victimised, Because thugs get support and solace from those not prepared to call it out.
Evil can only triumph when good men say nothing.
I think you're probably a decent lad Michaelg and Tbf you probably don't even realise you are giving solace to racists, but many will feel that's exactly what you're doing. He got hit by a coin from a crowd which either had given or tolerated racist abuse, including death threats. It can't be clearer than that. To blame NL cupping his ears for these attack's beggars belief. Please Take a look in the mirror and reflect before replying.

illdecide

6th Sam, that's perfect and 100% accurate. Michaelg I haven't had many discussions with you and have read a lot of your posts. I too have had respect for you but tbh you have as 6th SAM put it lost my respect (doubt you'll care much about that) or your true colours have appeared...Neil Lennon seems to have that effect on certain individuals...
I still challenge anyone to give me a valid reason for hating that man?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Applesisapples

You are all skirting around the fact that there is a toxic sectarian element both within the sections of IFA and the NI fans which spills over into the support of Rangers and Hearts. It has been debated ad nauseam on here but it won't change unless the SFA and IFA have the balls to address it.

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on November 02, 2018, 06:19:32 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 02, 2018, 12:00:48 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 02, 2018, 07:44:19 AM
Quote from: ned on November 02, 2018, 07:29:02 AM
Quote from: michaelg on November 02, 2018, 07:09:12 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 02, 2018, 12:03:17 AM
Quote from: michaelg on November 01, 2018, 10:46:57 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 01, 2018, 09:46:27 PM
Complete cop out re: Lennon. Has suffered sectarian abuse at every away ground in Scotland except CP but it's all his fault!! How do you work that out?

Takens abuse for 85+ mins then he decides to put finger over lips or motions his hand in a calm down type of motion and they throw coins at him.

Call it out for what it is - sectarianism because Lennon, like Mc Clean won't hide away.
There is a difference between not hiding away and antagonising people and situations.
Lennon has been getting it for 18 years. He's pantomime villain for hearts and rangers fans who are largely scumbags. It doesn't take a lot for them to get riled up where an Irish Catholic is concerned
Funny how BR and MON don't seem to get the same attention.

Not sure what the point is there. Majority of players and managers who celebrate in similar way to NL don't have coins thrown at them. Mourinho doing his knee slide down the touchline didn't have an object thrown at him. Why not? I've seen both BR and MON celebrate with exuberance so why NL is singled out mystifies. Just because idiots react to NL does not mean he is doing anything wrong.
As I said before, celebrating your own team's goal is different to what NL did the other night.  Cause and effect.  Had he not done what he did the other night , he would not have got hit in the face with a coin.  It's pretty straightforward.
That's a disgraceful comment from one who portrays himself as the voice of reason. Lennon did little more than tell Hearts fans to settle down. The uncomfortable fact is that their is a large sectarian element within the NI/Hearts/Rangers supporters who single Lennon out and McClean because they don't fit the tame taig knowing his place model they prefer.
Not sure how what I stated can be construed as disgraceful.  I am not condoing the sc**bag who threw the coin in any way.  I was simply stating that, in my opinion, Lennon's actions led to the incident. 
As for your second point, give an example of a "tame taig", as you put it.  High profile Irish catholics in football such as BR and MON, who are forthright in their views when the situation requires it, don't get the same attention that Lennon NL receives.  There is a difference between "singling people out" and being antagonisitic and bringing attention to yourself.
Paddy McCourt and Niall Maginn have been on the recieving end before. I am acquainted with a few catholics who played Irish League for so called Protestant teams who have stated that the sectarianism from their own fans was as vile as any from opponents. NI soccer is toxic.