American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

Dislocated , out for the rest of the year.

gawa316

Some comeback by the Sooners

lurganblue

What is the story with this Kaepernick workout that everyone is talking about on twitter.  Is he just putting it out there that he can actually still play?

gallsman

Quote from: lurganblue on November 17, 2019, 08:29:07 AM
What is the story with this Kaepernick workout that everyone is talking about on twitter.  Is he just putting it out there that he can actually still play?

The suggestion/suspicion is that the (confidential) terms of the settlement agreed to by both parties in his collusion grievance required the NFL to facilitate his attempt to return to the NFL by holding a workout.

The NFL, being the c***ts they are, have tried to do this in the most obstructive manner possible - short notice, on a Saturday when teams are both preparing/travelling for their games and scouting college games, demanded he sign an allegedly  unusually stringent injury liability waiver, no media and refusing Kaeperknick's request to be allowed film the workout himself.

In the end, Kaeperknick basically held his own workout for reps from about eight teams, with his own film crew about an hour outside Atlanta.

Minder

Would say Kaep is a low end starter, no way teams want the baggage and media circus that comes with a low end starter
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

The thing is, if he's signed and plays, the media circus will die away after a few weeks and will finally focus on Kap the footballer, not Kap the troublemaker activist.

I presume he plans to continue to kneel. The likes of Fox will continue to make a deal of it and I imagine Trump would continue to target him. If that's a reason to continue to sideline him, then that's the league's issue, not Kap's.

Gmac

Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2019, 01:32:55 PM
The thing is, if he's signed and plays, the media circus will die away after a few weeks and will finally focus on Kap the footballer, not Kap the troublemaker activist.

I presume he plans to continue to kneel. The likes of Fox will continue to make a deal of it and I imagine Trump would continue to target him. If that's a reason to continue to sideline him, then that's the league's issue, not Kap's.
a back up qb is not worth the circus that follows him bottom line

Minder

Quote from: Gmac on November 17, 2019, 06:36:46 PM

That's about the height of it
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

cadhlancian

The Ravens are legit , arguably the best team in the NFL currently . Jackson is something else, amazing player. Really hard to see anyone else in the AFC championship game other than the Pats or the Ravens . The chiefs have to win tomorrow night or the Raiders take over the lead in the west . The NFC is very competitive, 5 or 6 legitimate contenders .

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on November 17, 2019, 07:04:31 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 17, 2019, 06:36:46 PM

That's about the height of it

Except he's not a backup QB. He should be starting in the NFL. He's better than the QB currently starting for the following teams: Miami, New York Jets, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Denver, New York Giants, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Carolina, Tampa Bay. That's close to half the league and I personally think there are one or two more that he's better than who are looking ok due more to good scheme than their ability.

lurganblue

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 18, 2019, 03:45:02 AM
The Ravens are legit , arguably the best team in the NFL currently . Jackson is something else, amazing player. Really hard to see anyone else in the AFC championship game other than the Pats or the Ravens . The chiefs have to win tomorrow night or the Raiders take over the lead in the west . The NFC is very competitive, 5 or 6 legitimate contenders .

Would be nice to see the Ravens go to the Superbowl from the AFC.  NFC too close to call really. I'd have said the Saints were the best in the NFC until that sh*t show last week v the Falcons at the Dome.

AZOffaly

I've never been a big fan of Kap (ask Puck :) ) from his college days, but he certainly should be in the league on talent alone. As Seanie says, he is better (right now) than a lot of his counterparts who are starting. However a significant number of them (Jones, Darnold e.g) have 'upside' potential, which he doesn't have at this point. He is what he is, and he is what he was when he was blackballed. If he was elite, they (the NFL) would have made it work. Imagine if Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers protested against Trump by kneeling? Would they be blackballed? Not a chance.

So he was courageous and stubborn in what he did, but I think he has to make a choice. If he will not do what this exclusive club wants, then all he can do is stand outside shouting about it. He's good enough to be in the league, but not good enough to be a massive issue everywhere he goes. It's not right that someone should have to sacrifice their principles in something like this, but it's a fact of NFL life.

I love American Football, and the NFL, but the league are a bunch of unprincipled money men.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 18, 2019, 09:40:18 AM
I've never been a big fan of Kap (ask Puck :) ) from his college days, but he certainly should be in the league on talent alone. As Seanie says, he is better (right now) than a lot of his counterparts who are starting. However a significant number of them (Jones, Darnold e.g) have 'upside' potential, which he doesn't have at this point. He is what he is, and he is what he was when he was blackballed. If he was elite, they (the NFL) would have made it work. Imagine if Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers protested against Trump by kneeling? Would they be blackballed? Not a chance.

So he was courageous and stubborn in what he did, but I think he has to make a choice. If he will not do what this exclusive club wants, then all he can do is stand outside shouting about it. He's good enough to be in the league, but not good enough to be a massive issue everywhere he goes. It's not right that someone should have to sacrifice their principles in something like this, but it's a fact of NFL life.

I love American Football, and the NFL, but the league are a bunch of unprincipled money men.

The reason for this is obvious and sickening.

AZOffaly

I'm not sure if you are referring to his colour, or to the cause he is highlighting. If the former, I'd say probably Lamarr Jackson or DeShaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes wouldn't be blackballed either.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 18, 2019, 12:07:59 PM
I'm not sure if you are referring to his colour, or to the cause he is highlighting. If the former, I'd say probably Lamarr Jackson or DeShaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes wouldn't be blackballed either.

They're all a lot younger than Kapernick was at the time it happened and are genuine up and coming stars of the game.

Kapernick's career also seemed to have been on a downward trajectory from 2013.

I get your point that certain black players wouldn't be blackballed but that's not to say that there isn't a racist element to the situation. The fact that Kapernick wasn't really producing on the pitch helped make the decision for teams a lot easier.