US tourist (50s) fighting for life after ‘unprovoked’ gang attack in Dublin:

Started by joemamas, July 20, 2023, 03:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

For the past decade, outside of Croke, my only visits to Dublin are a couple of times a year, for work. It's always the same walk, from Connolly down to Upper Abbey St. And it's so notable just how run down this stretch had become over that decade. Homeless, drug-addled zombies either roaming slowly, or foaming at the mouth, in their shop-front beds. Litter everywhere.

I'm just a rural lad so you can call this hyperbole. I don't mind. But I'm not a worrying type, yet as a city it's not somewhere I'd want to take my family. They're better off not knowing about this type of world.

Tony Baloney

I'm Portugal at the minute and we met a lovely Canadian couple yesterday and they have Ireland and Scotland on the to do list as family from both places etc. You know the score. They asked me about Ireland and I told them not to bother. No guarantee of decent weather, expensive, they'll get ripped off in Dingle and others. Told them if they did insist on going, to fly into Dublin, go for a pint in the centre and leave straight after.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 21, 2023, 07:11:18 PM
I'm Portugal at the minute and we met a lovely Canadian couple yesterday and they have Ireland and Scotland on the to do list as family from both places etc. You know the score. They asked me about Ireland and I told them not to bother. No guarantee of decent weather, expensive, they'll get ripped off in Dingle and others. Told them if they did insist on going, to fly into Dublin, go for a pint in the centre and leave straight after.

That's a good    sell!   ;D Although strange you'd tell them to go to Dublin  centre, then piss  off.  I'd tell people to  stay well clear of it

I wouldn't want  to holiday anywhere else but in  Ireland.  I've been  around most of it , and I've so much still I want to  see and do . And You  don't always have to  pay the inflated prices for hotels, food etc.  There are other  options.  You can eat  on a budget

imtommygunn

Ireland and Scotland are as good as anywhere to holiday. Only prohibitive thing is price though.

Dublin is not an option any more as far as I am concerned as the prices are ridiculous. Plenty of other places though.

WT4E

They keep the addicts and undesirables in D1 and OConnell Street so as not to annoy the guys sipping appletinis on Baggott Street and Camden Street.

However I did notice that Green Luas line got a little more animated when they sort of joined it with the red a few years back. U use to here alot of rugger bugger talk and the guys closing deals on apple earpods back in the good old days but when I jumped on and spotted two lads on the green line with a plactic bag of water ordering their heroin on a Nokia 3210 I knew at that point the transport authority had made a BIG mistake.

Eire90

politicians only speaking out as terrified of investment pulling out

RedHand88

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 21, 2023, 05:06:42 PM
Quote from: highorlow on July 21, 2023, 04:31:58 PM
Quotelooks like another assault in galway yesterday https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2023/07/20/galway-assault-leaves-man-in-critical-condition-in-dublin-hospital/

the countrys a joke

I hung around Galway after the salthill match earlier in the summer. It too is heading downhill. A lot of "new Irish" gangs hanging around eyre square looking for trouble.

Think there is footage of a gang of "new Irish" cornering and giving a man a bad doing in Galway a few weeks ago

No need to specify new Irish when there are plenty of old Irish at the exact same craic, and always have been.
When the old Irish murder each other and leave body parts in sports bags it's a meme, but when new Irish attack someone its seen as the downfall of civilised ireland. Why is this?

burdizzo

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 22, 2023, 07:47:47 AM
Quotelooks like another assault in galway yesterday https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2023/07/20/galway-assault-leaves-man-in-critical-condition-in-dublin-hospital/

the countrys a joke

I hung around Galway after the salthill match earlier in the summer. It too is heading downhill. A lot of "new Irish" gangs hanging around eyre square looking for trouble.

Think there is footage of a gang of "new Irish" cornering and giving a man a bad doing in Galway a few weeks ago

No need to specify new Irish when there are plenty of old Irish at the exact same craic, and always have been.
When the old Irish murder each other and leave body parts in sports bags it's a meme, but when new Irish attack someone its seen as the downfall of civilised ireland. Why is this?

No one should shit on the carpet, but it's marginally more acceptable for a member of the household to do it, than for a stranger to wander in off the street and do it.
"New Irish" is, in reality, a euphemism for "not Irish".

trueblue1234

Quote from: burdizzo on July 22, 2023, 08:06:46 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 22, 2023, 07:47:47 AM

the countrys a joke

No one should shit on the carpet, but it's marginally more acceptable for a member of the household to do it, than for a stranger to wander in off the street and do it.
"New Irish" is, in reality, a euphemism for "not Irish".
Sh*te smells the same no matter who did it.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Itchy

A few facts

Dublin is a shithole, it always has been. O Connell street was a shithole in the 90s too when I went to college down there. The area around Connolly station was always dodgy.

There aren't enough gardai but the ones we have are useless and you'll be lucky if you call them and then bother to turn up.

Oh, and it's definitely all Sinn Feins fault and foreigners too.

clarshack

No mention of Helen McEntee here? when it's clear that the woman is completely out of her depth as Justice Minister in the South. She seems more concerned about people saying hurty words on the Internet than tackling actual crime like what happened to the poor American fella.

Eire90

the garda would soon turn up if they seen hundreds marching into the areas where tds live

Hound

Dublin 2, 4, 5 and 6 are generally lovely places for walking around, eating, drinking. Lots of really nice areas. But steer clear of Temple Bar (prices) and D1 and D3 (kips)

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on July 22, 2023, 10:14:19 AM
A few facts

Dublin is a shithole, it always has been. O Connell street was a shithole in the 90s too when I went to college down there. The area around Connolly station was always dodgy.

There aren't enough gardai but the ones we have are useless and you'll be lucky if you call them and then bother to turn up.

Oh, and it's definitely all Sinn Feins fault and foreigners too.

Gardaí are powerless.  Sure weren't they attacked and made fun of in some estate in Dublin last year. If they gave one of the young teenagers a slap, they'd be in court.

Society has changed.  It's now the tail wagging the dog unfortunately.

Cyril Farrell fan

One of the ways to clean up Dublin city would be to have a Garda force more empowered to dish out a bit of justice to trouble makers.
In most European countries the police don't tolerate roaming zombies, beggars and junkies.

Would we be willing to accept Gardai getting tougher and using the baton, pepper spray and tasers a bit more generously?
It would upset the civil liberties and the NGO industry, but I suspect the silent majority would be fine with it.