All Ireland Semi Final: The Dubs v Cavan, 1730 Saturday 5 December 2020

Started by Hound, November 24, 2020, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

I think everyone knows that complaints that comments are irrelevant to a particular thread is just a deflection tactic. The comment is either accurate or not, interesting or not. Does it really matter what the thread title is.

On whatever thread the posters choose there needs to be a serious debate on GAA failures to make punishments stick.

It is interesting that posters can claim that a punishment is wrong, disproportionate etc without knowing what the offence is. Those posters are not being honest

Itchy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 28, 2020, 08:21:38 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 28, 2020, 07:34:42 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 28, 2020, 06:56:18 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 28, 2020, 05:38:12 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 28, 2020, 05:12:37 PM
The majority of posts on this thread have nothing to do with the game. Why single out this one

Well we were discussing a ridiculous overturning of a suspension to a dublin player who will now play in the semi final, thats relevant.
With all due respect Itchy, your post above is off-topic also. You are not discussing the semi final but are harping on about something that happened in an earlier game.
You say that overturning the suspension was ridiculous. Well, that's your personal opinion but the powers that be seemed to think otherwise.
I don't know what led to the overturning of the suspension, and neither do you, but the only logical., conclusion that the ref amended his report.
It likey that if oonew or more of his six assistants had seen what happened and drew the ref's attention to the incident, there would have been no reason for us to be discussing what happened ( or didn't happen,) right now.
And while I'm at it, you do a fair bit of wandering off topic yourself.

I'm harping on about a player who was suspended for this game and now isn't. Its relevant and you'd have to be totally thick not to see that.

As for the game, I gave my initial thoughts on it unlike you.
I see, now Itchy is fast becoming Scratchy.  ;D
So during the course of a previous match, a player was suspended and now the suspension has been revoked. You may not like this reversal but you know no more about it than I do. There are controversial decisions made by referees every time they take on a game and if the umpires and linesmen had the authority to draw a ref's attention to what they see as an infringement of the rules then it's quite possible that sourpusses like you would have less reason to complain.
BTW, what have my thoughts on the game got to do with the merits or otherwise of Kilkenny's sending off?

Jez you're an awful clown. If you even had half a clue what you were talking about you'd know that in the case of Costello his verbals were to the linesman who in turn informed the referee who then issued a red card. You don't even know the difference between Costello and Kilkenny lad so maybe time for you to zip it before you embarrass yourself any further.

Main Street

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 28, 2020, 07:06:32 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 28, 2020, 01:41:55 PM
Probably the reason hardly anyone discussing the game is because we know who's going to win and are fearful it could be by a large margin.

Surely that's not the way Cavan supporters are thinking at the moment? A week out from an All Ireland semi-final they will be expecting the very best from their team. It would be good to hear their views on the game and what they are expecting to see from the team.

Of course Dublin are hot favourites but since the early 1950s Dublin would always have been favourites in any All Ireland semi-final in which the two counties might have met.

Having said all that, as a Dublin supporter, I expect Dublin to win but a ball hasn't been kicked yet so nothing has been decided. (For what it's worth, in 2011 I expected Dublin to win the Minor football final).
Well Dublin would have had to make it to the semi final as Leinster champions wouldn't they?
There was long period of 10 years or so until 1974  where teams in Leinster were queueing up to hammer the decrepid Dubs. If Dublin were drawn in the leinster championship, their opponents would have been wringing their hands in anticipation of an easy enough passage into the next round.
The Cavan team in that 10 year period would have peed all over the Dubs.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Itchy on November 28, 2020, 08:54:17 PM
The majority of posts on this thread have nothing to do with the game. Why single out this one

Well we were discussing a ridiculous overturning of a suspension to a dublin player who will now play in the semi final, thats relevant.
With all due respect Itchy, your post above is off-topic also. You are not discussing the semi final but are harping on about something that happened in an earlier game.
You say that overturning the suspension was ridiculous. Well, that's your personal opinion but the powers that be seemed to think otherwise.
I don't know what led to the overturning of the suspension, and neither do you, but the only logical., conclusion that the ref amended his report.
It likey that if oonew or more of his six assistants had seen what happened and drew the ref's attention to the incident, there would have been no reason for us to be discussing what happened ( or didn't happen,) right now.

I'm harping on about a player who was suspended for this game and now isn't. Its relevant and you'd have to be totally thick not to see that.

So during the course of a previous match, a player was suspended and now the suspension has been revoked. You may not like this reversal but you know no more about it than I do. There are controversial decisions made by referees every time they take on a game and if the umpires and linesmen had the authority to draw a ref's attention to what they see as an infringement of the rules then it's quite possible that sourpusses like you would have less reason to complain.
BTW, what have my thoughts on the game got to do with the merits or otherwise of Kilkenny's sending off?

Jez you're an awful clown. If you even had half a clue what you were talking about you'd know that in the case of Costello his verbals were to the linesman who in turn informed the referee who then issued a red card. You don't even know the difference between Costello and Kilkenny lad so maybe time for you to zip it before you embarrass yourself any further.
If this is your idea of a mature responsible debate, it's tiime for me to exit the scene. You'd wipe the ground with me at this sort of thing. I was laughing so much at your inanities  I mistook Kilkenny for Costello but my substantive point remains the same.
You won't accept the decision to rescind the suspension because it doesn't suit your agenda. So to hell with the ref and the CCCC and the whole of the GAA, Neanderthal  Cavan Man knows better.
Anyway, I have better things to do with my time than trying to talk sense to a Cavan man- well, a few of them at any rate and that most certainly includes you.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Itchy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 28, 2020, 09:43:40 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 28, 2020, 08:54:17 PM

If this is your idea of a mature responsible debate, it's tiime for me to exit the scene. You'd wipe the ground with me at this sort of thing. I was laughing so much at your inanities  I mistook Kilkenny for Costello but my substantive point remains the same.
You won't accept the decision to rescind the suspension because it doesn't suit your agenda. So to hell with the ref and the CCCC and the whole of the GAA, Neanderthal  Cavan Man knows better.
Anyway, I have better things to do with my time than trying to talk sense to a Cavan man- well, a few of them at any rate and that most certainly includes you.

Good man, it was my fault you don't know the difference between costello  and Kilkenny. Good man, don't let the door smack yer arse on the way out.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Main Street on November 28, 2020, 09:35:16 PM
Probably the reason hardly anyone discussing the game is because we know who's going to win and are fearful it could be by a large margin.

Surely that's not the way Cavan supporters are thinking at the moment? A week out from an All Ireland semi-final they will be expecting the very best from their team. It would be good to hear their views on the game and what they are expecting to see from the team.

Of course Dublin are hot favourites but since the early 1950s Dublin would always have been favourites in any All Ireland semi-final in which the two counties might have met.

Having said all that, as a Dublin supporter, I expect Dublin to win but a ball hasn't been kicked yet so nothing has been decided. (For what it's worth, in 2011 I expected Dublin to win the Minor football final).
Well Dublin would have had to make it to the semi final as Leinster champions wouldn't they?
There was long period of 10 years or so until 1974  where teams in Leinster were queueing up to hammer the decrepid Dubs. If Dublin were drawn in the leinster championship, their opponents would have been wringing their hands in anticipation of an easy enough passage into the next round.

Any thoughts on next week's game?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

LCohen

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 29, 2020, 12:15:56 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 28, 2020, 09:35:16 PM

Any thoughts on next week's game?

Dubs should win by a mile and probably will.

Hopefully the Costello thing gets cleared up definitely before then

From the Bunker

Like the Meath supporters were full of hope after their great win against Kildare? There was talk of their second half performance, their ability to score goals and their ability to come back after going so far behind.

Discussions like that hold relevance when you are playing teams of a similar standard.

Baile Brigín 2

Dissent is a black card offence do it was a valid overturning

trileacman

Kildare beat Cavan this year. Dubs trying to talk up he challenge of Cavan is laughable.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Angelo

Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 28, 2020, 07:55:27 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 28, 2020, 03:49:08 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2020, 07:50:04 AM
No matter what he said you don't want a player missing a game over verbals ffs

Rory Brennan had his season ended over touching a referee on the arm.

Rules are rules.
A truly harsh ban for the offence incurred.  You'd go a long way in sporting life to see harsher justice.

Rules are rules unless you play for Dublin where rules are optional.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Itchy

Quote from: trileacman on November 29, 2020, 02:04:19 PM
Kildare beat Cavan this year. Dubs trying to talk up he challenge of Cavan is laughable.

In the league which Mickey is on record as saying he sacrificed for the championship. We were also missing an awful lot of players through COVID. I am not saying that means we will beat the dubs but your drawing a form line from that game is whats laughable at this stage.

LCohen

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 29, 2020, 01:49:45 PM
Dissent is a black card offence do it was a valid overturning

There is a black card offence. But there is also a red card offence. To say that the original punishment was wrong you need to know what the offence was. A few here seem to think the original punishment was wrong yet not one can say what the offence was

Armagh18

At the end of the day surely no one wants to see a lad miss an all ireland semi final over something said.

LCohen

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2020, 05:19:35 PM
At the end of the day surely no one wants to see a lad miss an all ireland semi final over something said.

Depends on what he said