Started by thejuice, November 01, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: MayoBuck on November 23, 2020, 08:17:07 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 23, 2020, 06:59:44 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 23, 2020, 05:40:34 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 23, 2020, 04:05:39 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 23, 2020, 03:17:57 PM
Dublin fans are a bit like unionists. They want the ascendancy and everything stacked in their favour and are not interested in a level playing field.

The GAA see Dublin GAA as a cashcow and that's all that matters to them.

And you wonder why Dubs don't want to know.

The howl of culchie losers.

I've put up the reason they don't want to know. They don't want a fair fight, they want every single factor tilted in their favour before a ball is kicked. You just validate that viewpoint.

It's infuriating when posters won't answer questions when asked. Now you know how people feel when they ask you for answers. Pot, kettle, black spring to mind

I've no problem with Dublin having their funding cut, but it shouldn't just be handed straight over to the other county boards/counties. Some counties just don't have the knowledge/experience to deal with the amount of money involved in inter county football and without a strategic plant you're throwing away good money after bad

Like any well run organization a plan/budget should be put together by county boards showing how they would spend the funding. If the county board doesn't have the ability to run a long term scheme like this then maybe approach Croke Park for help with administrating the scheme.

Even with these things in place some county boards will screw it up anyway. There was a long term plan put together by big hitters in Offaly to bring up hurling/football standards through coaching GDOs etc and a presentation made to the county board who said thanks very much and simply ignored it and didn't even try to implement it

The debate around Dublin's advantages always follow the same path. Dubs will 1st deny any advantage exists - what about kerry/Kilkenny, golden generation, money doesn't kick points, competing sports etc. Eventually they will accept the advantages but other county boards are incompetent so we can't give them any money.

Why did the GAA decide in 2003/04 that Dublin needed to be stronger? The 2nd most successful football county historically and always the top team in Leinster. Why did they get 5m of grants from the government between 2005 and 2009 when everyone else got nothing?

So your saying GAA HQ should just give county boards a cheque, wish them all the best and say off you go?

I suppose it's a plan of sorts.

MayoBuck

Yes, I'm saying they should pay for more qualified coaches in other counties and majorly cut back on this Dublin project before it's too late.

sid waddell

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 23, 2020, 10:02:58 PM
On another note Dublin club football is ridiculously strong. There are three or four teams who would be competitive for the all Ireland. No other county would have that.

Hurling is very strong too.

I don't think kk hurling is a good comparison either. Some of the best ever were in that team. Now they're gone kk aren't the same level at all. An example I would use for Dublin is Bernard brogan and even diarmuid Connolly. When any other county loses a player of the year material player they usually struggle to replace them. Dublin have lost two and not even batted an eyelid. The current dominance has just been a conveyor belt with absolutely no sign of stopping.

Additionally one of the biggest things I find the dubs dominate on is pace and power. You watch say Tyrone and someone like Marty Donnelly. When he plays against anyone bar Dublin his pace and power stand out. When he plays Dublin he is not even as pacy or powerful as Dublin's weakest player. That is not purely down to having the best set of players ever it's the resources they have available.
Dublin do have a very good strength and conditioning set up but there was nothing stopping Tyrone from having similar

Dublin brought in Martin Kennedy from athletics and he made a massive difference, later Bryan Cullen joined up, Gavin knew the modern game was about speed - and speed of thought

In the 2017 semi-final I thought the running style of the Tyrone players was noticeably more laboured than the Dublin players, even in the first half, by the 2018 All-Ireland I think Tyrone had closed the gap somewhat

Cork seemed to have cracked this as well in hurling in 2017 and 2018 and at their best around that period they were leaping off the turf, but they've really trailed off in the last couple of years for reasons I can't quite understand

Baile Brigín 2

On another note Dublin club football is ridiculously strong. There are three or four teams who would be competitive for the all Ireland. No other county would have that.

I don't think kk hurling is a good comparison either. Some of the best ever were in that team. Now they're gone kk aren't the same level at all. An example I would use for Dublin is Bernard brogan and even diarmuid Connolly. When any other county loses a player of the year material player they usually struggle to replace them. Dublin have lost two and not even batted an eyelid. The current dominance has just been a conveyor belt with absolutely no sign of stopping.

Additionally one of the biggest things I find the dubs dominate on is pace and power. You watch say Tyrone and someone like Marty Donnelly. When he plays against anyone bar Dublin his pace and power stand out. When he plays Dublin he is not even as pacy or powerful as Dublin's weakest player. That is not purely down to having the best set of players ever it's the resources they have available.

Dublin teams have won 4 AI club titles this decade. Behind Galway and the same as Armagh. Admittedly thats an improvement but it isn't exactly scorched earth.

Hurling is not 'very strong'.

How do resources increase pace and power? By that logic any culchie sponsor could write a cheque and win.

sid waddell

After Cuala Dublin club hurling trails off a lot

Neither Crokes nor Boden cut it at Leinster level when they were winning Dublin titles

Cuala's trump card was Con O'Callaghan who just ran straight for goal and buried it, club defences couldn't cope with him at all

imtommygunn

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 24, 2020, 01:49:06 AM

Dublin teams have won 4 AI club titles this decade. Behind Galway and the same as Armagh. Admittedly thats an improvement but it isn't exactly scorched earth.

How do resources increase pace and power? By that logic any culchie sponsor could write a cheque and win.

How do they not? They are what more professional setups lead to. How much of a cheque would they write and for how long?

Dublin club football is very strong. You only have to watch it on tv to see that it's better standard than anything out there. They should have won more club all Ireland's than they have and to be honest underachieve. How ballymun haven't won one is beyond me. They should actually be a powerhouse.

I would say ballyboden and kilmacaud aren't too bad at the hurling. I think sayin con O'Callaghan just went direct for goals is doing a bit of a disservice to the rest of the team too. That cuala team is a very strong team all round.

I don't buy into the split Dublin crap etc . You've got loads more money and you've used it well but to say other teams aren't trying hard enough is nonsense, it's not comparable to Kilkenny at all and you have won a lot of these with a lot of very different personnel which other counties couldn't. (Being bigger so having more of a pool is a big help too and I still think gavin is way better than given credit for which is odd given he did 5 in a row mind you lol).

ballinaman

I don't think Dublin GAA are able stop the wave now, that's down to desire primarily in my opinion. We all want to win, we're a competitive species ...we enjoy winning, produces dopamine and gives us that good feeling. I know Cluxtons face didn't display it the last day but I'd guess he was happy out inside. They are addicted to winning now that's a big problem allied to all the other issues.

larryin89

It can start with the little things though, under no circumstances should Dublin play a single game in croke park till leinster final , the croke park home league games included , it is beyond farcical that they have that advantage , one which we can be controlled .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Hound

Quote from: larryin89 on November 24, 2020, 07:46:29 AM
It can start with the little things though, under no circumstances should Dublin play a single game in croke park till leinster final , the croke park home league games included , it is beyond farcical that they have that advantage , one which we can be controlled .
Agree totally re Leinster.

The worst thing the Leinster Council have done is when they have finally moved the Dubs out of Croker, they mostly moved to neutral venues instead of giving the opposition home advantage.

Tubberman

Exactly. Get a culchie AIG situated in every culchie county to write a cheque for a few million a year. Stop whinging culchies, and just get on with it!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Tubberman on November 24, 2020, 09:43:30 AM

Exactly. Get a culchie AIG situated in every culchie county to write a cheque for a few million a year. Stop whinging culchies, and just get on with it!

Its the logical extrapolation of 'its just about resources' line

Milltown Row2

The cries years ago about the GAA needs a strong capital, Dublin, that would have been true enough, they were competitive, but with the population they had they should have been cleaning up most years.
That didn't happen as much, the likes of Meath Kildare Offlay Laois and Westmeath were competing.
What encountered for Dublin though was the popularity of Big Jack and the soccer, now I could (and will be corrected no doubt) be wrong but I had a feeling that the GAA clubs were not getting as many numbers through in the late 90's early 2000?
So I assume that the powers that be decided to increase the playing numbers at juvenile level and throw money at this. I thought at the time that this was a good thing, increased GAA members and all that.
Now that we are at the point were the other teams (mentioned above) have fallen away, the Dubs for 15 years have sat proudly at the top..
Money can bring a lot, better training facilities, after dinner meals, physios, training plans and use of a S&C coach, free memberships of gyms
Out of the things I've mentioned above, which counties can't provide the above and if its different, how different is it?
For me the biggest thing as to why Dublin are so much better, they have the biggest pool and lots of decent competitive clubs to pull from, some teams have senior, senior b, seconds, Junior A and junior B. that's a lot to pick from and a platform for kids to develop.
They always had the bigger numbers but with a strategic plan (more money) they have been able harness that pool of players and pick the best.
Should the dominance continue, say for another 5 years and show no signs of changing, then I would possibly go for the split idea, though I doubt Dublin would.
In the meantime, counties need to look at the format used and ask for the same treatment, collectively they should achieve that, all of it should be based on numbers though. Fermanagh should not have or need the same budget of Dublin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eire90

a good championship that keeps fans intrigue and willing to watch you need about 6 to 8 teams at least capable of winning it a 2 horse race is no good either for competitive balance no one wants to see Dublin and Kerry trade titles between each other either.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2020, 01:41:48 PM
The cries years ago about the GAA needs a strong capital, Dublin, that would have been true enough, they were competitive, but with the population they had they should have been cleaning up most years.
That didn't happen as much, the likes of Meath Kildare Offlay Laois and Westmeath were competing.
What encountered for Dublin though was the popularity of Big Jack and the soccer, now I could (and will be corrected no doubt) be wrong but I had a feeling that the GAA clubs were not getting as many numbers through in the late 90's early 2000?
So I assume that the powers that be decided to increase the playing numbers at juvenile level and throw money at this. I thought at the time that this was a good thing, increased GAA members and all that.
Now that we are at the point were the other teams (mentioned above) have fallen away, the Dubs for 15 years have sat proudly at the top..
Money can bring a lot, better training facilities, after dinner meals, physios, training plans and use of a S&C coach, free memberships of gyms
Out of the things I've mentioned above, which counties can't provide the above and if its different, how different is it?
For me the biggest thing as to why Dublin are so much better, they have the biggest pool and lots of decent competitive clubs to pull from, some teams have senior, senior b, seconds, Junior A and junior B. that's a lot to pick from and a platform for kids to develop.
They always had the bigger numbers but with a strategic plan (more money) they have been able harness that pool of players and pick the best.
Should the dominance continue, say for another 5 years and show no signs of changing, then I would possibly go for the split idea, though I doubt Dublin would.
In the meantime, counties need to look at the format used and ask for the same treatment, collectively they should achieve that, all of it should be based on numbers though. Fermanagh should not have or need the same budget of Dublin

So Fermanagh should be doubly screwed because of their population. Dublin are financially self-sufficient, it's counties like Leitrim, Fermanagh, Longford and co who have very little commercial backing that are the ones who need huge financial aid and support from the GAA. Between the economics and opportunities for young men to retain promising footballers and not lose them after their underage career is paramount.

What you have just supported is a rambing, illogical piece of gibberish focused on making the stronger counties stronger and the weaker counties weaker. Those at a natural disadvantage should be supported first.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on November 24, 2020, 02:13:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2020, 01:41:48 PM

So Fermanagh should be doubly screwed because of their population. Dublin are financially self-sufficient, it's counties like Leitrim, Fermanagh, Longford and co who have very little commercial backing that are the ones who need huge financial aid and support from the GAA. Between the economics and opportunities for young men to retain promising footballers and not lose them after their underage career is paramount.

What you have just supported is a rambing, illogical piece of gibberish focused on making the stronger counties stronger and the weaker counties weaker. Those at a natural disadvantage should be supported first.

Its based of membership, what would Fermanagh do with the money Dublin gets? If Dublin is self sufficient then why do the GAA continue to support them?

I've highlighted the bit in bold just in case you didn't read it, the playing membership is huge in Dublin than Fermanagh, if you are suggesting that Fermanagh get the same money then you are a nut!

If all the counties get the same treatment then there will be no excuse.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea