Price of Scrap Copper

Started by under the bar, April 20, 2011, 11:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Price of scrap copper is now about £4.50 a kilo!   Old copper pennies and two pences are now worth more for scrap than their face value! Crazy!

lawnseed

Quote from: under the bar on April 20, 2011, 11:31:02 PM
Price of scrap copper is now about £4.50 a kilo!   Old copper pennies and two pences are now worth more for scrap than their face value! Crazy!
alot of empty houses around the country getting cleaned out, cylinder etc even ripping pipes out of the walls :o
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

ludermor

Scrap is going crazy now, steel in london is going for 200/ton. A few years ago you wouldnt have got 40/ton for it

lawnseed

Quote from: ludermor on April 20, 2011, 11:34:33 PM
Scrap is going crazy now, steel in london is going for 200/ton. A few years ago you wouldnt have got 40/ton for it
the oul fella says its a sign theres going to be a war.. we always pay attention to him since he predicted the death of lady di to within 12hrs.. not as good at the lotto numbers though
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

macdanger2

Not sure about the "copper" coins - most new ones are only about 5% copper.

I'd well believe it about the copper in all the ghost housing estates though.

Increase in price of scrap is seemingly due to the Chinese buying it up

Bud Wiser

I had a few public phone kiosks along Grafton Street and O'Connell St, the small type that you just stand under and I fecked them all into a car trailer one Sunday morning with a friend of mine.   A few weeks ago I brought two that were left up to a scrapyard in Tallaght and was amazed when yer man handed me a receipt from the weigh bridge for €530 euro. They were stainless steel and I had just fecked out about eleven of them.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

amallon

When I got the electric connection into the house I had to get a new transformer put up on NIE's pole.  The old transformer is sitting were they left it 15 months ago depsite me calling them and them promising to take it away.  Its probably full of copper.  If someone was to sell it for scrap would it need dismantling first and the copper removed?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

thejuice

all the metals are in high demand. Everyone wants gadgets in their pockets, solar panels being built in massive scale. 

I hear Tara mines (zinc) is busier than ever.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

brokencrossbar1

Amallon ring Tinnellys up at Killeavey, they'll probably look after it for you I would imagine.

under the bar

anyone know who are paying the best prices at min? T-met are the ones that spring to mind when u think of scrap but was told they dont give a great price

macdanger2

Quote from: Bud Wiser on April 21, 2011, 07:08:18 AM
I had a few public phone kiosks along Grafton Street and O'Connell St, the small type that you just stand under and I fecked them all into a car trailer one Sunday morning with a friend of mine.   A few weeks ago I brought two that were left up to a scrapyard in Tallaght and was amazed when yer man handed me a receipt from the weigh bridge for €530 euro. They were stainless steel and I had just fecked out about eleven of them.

Bud, does that scrap yard pay for any kind of scrap or just stainless? Have an old astra I need to get rid of.